Is There A Place On The Bills For LB Chris Borland?

Bill from NYC

I live in Madison, and have watched Borland for years.

All I can say is that he gets it done. Unlike Skov, you hear Borlands name what seems like every other defensive play, not because he's near the play, but because he consistently blows it up. He's got a nose for the ball

Like Jimmy Leonhard, he has football in his blood, and he will be a player at the pro level by sheer force of will. I think London Fletcher is a good comparison as well.

I have hoped he makes it to the Bills every time I see him play. Just get him into camp, let him prove it to you. (Remember Nickell Robey is a football anomyly as well, but he seems to get it done)

Edited by tedstrong

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has bad games...watch him against Ohio State

Okay…so I watched Ohio State. I still see a lot of running around blocks and having little impact on plays. He's super active. Has a "good motor". I can't pretend to be an expert on the guy, but based on those 2 games, I see more to be concerned about than to be excited about. I also watched a few tapes of Skov and I liked him better. Just seemed like more of a factor in more plays.

Okay…so I watched Ohio State. I still see a lot of running around blocks and having little impact on plays. He's super active. Has a "good motor". I can't pretend to be an expert on the guy, but based on those 2 games, I see more to be concerned about than to be excited about. I also watched a few tapes of Skov and I liked him better. Just seemed like more of a factor in more plays.

Wait..."tapes"? As in, you have All-22 of him? Where did you find that as I'd love to check it out?

Note: not being sarcastic here...if you have game tape of him I'd love to see it.

Edited by thebandit27

Okay…so I watched Ohio State. I still see a lot of running around blocks and having little impact on plays. He's super active. Has a "good motor". I can't pretend to be an expert on the guy, but based on those 2 games, I see more to be concerned about than to be excited about. I also watched a few tapes of Skov and I liked him better. Just seemed like more of a factor in more plays

I like him better too,... I like Mosely the best... but if the question the OP raised is whether or not Borland fits into this defense and would be a considerable upgrade at MLB to be taken in the 2nd rd... the answer IMO is yes if you move Kiko to WLB and don't sign a MLB in FA or take a MLB in the 1st, and Skov is gone next time you pick.

Good breakdown. Skov is the better all around player. I really like Borland but there are concerns. Skov is going to be a pro bowl type player. Borland could be a good starter or he could be a STer only. I really like the kid so I hoe he becomes a player.

Haha

The kid has the BB curse on him now. Pass.

:)

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Wait..."tapes"? As in, you have All-22 of him? Where did you find that as I'd love to check it out?

Note: not being sarcastic here...if you have game tape of him I'd love to see it.

I'm just referring to the link off Nanker's post above. I don't know what to call them. Clips. Videos. Tapes. Apologies if I got it wrong. What I don't think I got wrong is: Skov>Borland. I like Skov to the Bills in the 2nd. Drop down 10-15 spots in the 1st and get your Olineman and a TE in the 2nd and I would be doing backflips (not even remotely possible).

I'm just referring to the link off Nanker's post above. I don't know what to call them. Clips. Videos. Tapes. Apologies if I got it wrong. What I don't think I got wrong is: Skov>Borland. I like Skov to the Bills in the 2nd. Drop down 10-15 spots in the 1st and get your Olineman and a TE in the 2nd and I would be doing backflips (not even remotely possible).

No need to apologize; I was genuinely curious. It's easy these days to get legit game tape for the NFL through Game Rewind...coming by something similar for college players is a task of much greater difficulty.

Thanks for the kind words JPS.

No need to apologize; I was genuinely curious. It's easy these days to get legit game tape for the NFL through Game Rewind...coming by something similar for college players is a task of much greater difficulty.

Links to ten Skov tapes can be found here: http://draftbreakdow...rs/shayne-skov/

JPS referred to them. They breakdown the player's game, highlight the player and only show the plays they're involved in. No fluff. They do a pretty good job of it, IMHO. Check it out. You might like it.

Edited by Nanker

Thanks for the kind words JPS.

Links to ten Skov tapes can be found here: http://draftbreakdow...rs/shayne-skov/

JPS referred to them. They breakdown the player's game, highlight the player and only show the plays they're involved in. No fluff. They do a pretty good job of it, IMHO. Check it out. You might like it.

Thanks...I frequent Draft Breakdown quite often this time of year. I was just asking JPS if he had the all-22 on these guys or knew where to get it. DB shows the TV broadcast video--which is still nice. I guess I just got spoiled by Game Rewind's all-22 stuff.

For the record, I do like Skov. I just happen to think Borland is a better fit as a run-stuffer next to Kiko. I would NOT be disappointed with Skov.

Thanks...I frequent Draft Breakdown quite often this time of year. I was just asking JPS if he had the all-22 on these guys or knew where to get it. DB shows the TV broadcast video--which is still nice. I guess I just got spoiled by Game Rewind's all-22 stuff.

For the record, I do like Skov. I just happen to think Borland is a better fit as a run-stuffer next to Kiko. I would NOT be disappointed with Skov.

Bandit….What do you see in Borland that Skov doesn't have? Let's get to the bottom of this...

Mind you…I'm not stumping for Skov, I'm just reacting to what I saw in their highlight reels and Skov looked like more of a playmaker. What say you?

Bandit….What do you see in Borland that Skov doesn't have? Let's get to the bottom of this...

Mind you…I'm not stumping for Skov, I'm just reacting to what I saw in their highlight reels and Skov looked like more of a playmaker. What say you?

I like Skov but FWIW Mayock does not have him in his Top 5 LBs. He has Borland 4th.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap2000000326222/article/precombine-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft

Yeah man I gotcha. What I really like having watched Borland is that he's not only very active, but also can take a pounding. When I look at the Bills' defense, the big missing piece I see is the thumper-style LB that can absorb blocks and hold the point of attack. One of the lost arts of the ILB is the ability to stuff a shoulder into the gut of the blocker--keeping the correct leverage while maintaining a free arm to make a tackle. This is something that I've seen Borland do effectively quite a few times. I also like that he's got a good nose for the soft spots in the OL and makes a good transition to playing downhill. The fact that he's as good a tackler as he is, despite his very short arms, speaks to me of a guy that works on the fundamentals, which is huge for me. It also doesn't hurt that he's not a liability in coverage. I just think he'll pair extremely well with Kiko and Lawson.

Skov is definitely more athletic, as he's longer and leaner than Borland. He's also active and is very aggressive. I just happen to think Borland's a bit stouter and will hold up better over the course of the season; as I don't think Skov is exactly the kind of guy built to absorb blocks to create opportunities for Kiko and Lawson.

I don't get it. I'll be looking at this a lot over the next couple of months.

It'll change quite a bit as the process moves forward. Mayock always talks about how things like the combine and workouts make you go back and take 2nd, 3rd, and 4th looks at guys you didn't originally grade as highly. There will be a good deal of fluctuation with his rankings before all is said and done.

borland, skov, borland, skov.... No love for other LBs? I put my money on Kyle Van Noy, he looks like Kiko did in college, but bigger. Fast, all over the place, and good all over the field. Trade down for another second rounder, get Kelvin Benjamin, Van Noy, and Jace Amaro in that order (if we were so lucky to be able to)

borland, skov, borland, skov.... No love for other LBs? I put my money on Kyle Van Noy, he looks like Kiko did in college, but bigger. Fast, all over the place, and good all over the field. Trade down for another second rounder, get Kelvin Benjamin, Van Noy, and Jace Amaro in that order (if we were so lucky to be able to)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2tL4xUZP_8

Great post on Van Noy. He looks skinny, but that is a good highlight package dotted with rush skills, ball skills and good tackling. Kyle Van Noy huh….