Ellen Page Comes Out As Lesbian

boyst

I am pleased to see the responses in this thread. I was curious how it would be reacted upon because it is not big news to me, nor is it shocking. It's been widely known for quite a while. But, that people say they care and others say they do not and make sure they say it; that is something I notice.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nebraska not that good ? Was planning on renting soon.

Little Miss Sunshine was solid IMO. Granpa ruled it in that one.

Agree on Juno w most, super average. I'd be fine never seeing page again, gimme more Michael Cera though.

Michael Cera? He's the indie version of Vince Vaughn. He plays the same character over and over again, and he's not that good at it. He is one person I am glad is no longer prominent. Just my opinion.

They're all fine movies that were liked a little too much by the noise machine.

You nailed it with that comment. I have yet to see "Nebraska", and I do think "Little Miss Sunshine" is a funny movie. But "Juno" is utter crap.

"Juno" won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay over "Ratatouille". In what universe does that make sense?

***Disclaimer- I don't really understand what you meant by "I can't suspend belief" so I will go off what I thought you meant.

how did you feel about Tom Hanks in Philadelphia?

I don't care what people do, but I do find that once an actor comes out as gay, if they play a heterosexual role I can't suspend belief.

As usual you're spot on. We need to "celebrate" this.

I know it may be poking a hornets nest for you and LABillz, but what is "this?"

It is significant because she is attractive and is not the standard lesbian you picture in Hollywood - Ellen, Rosie O'Donnell, etc. That she is young, successful (or was) is why this is popular as a story. Why it is popular with me is simple - that we're not seeing a major protest against her by national media. We're not obsessing over her like would likely have happened just 12 years ago.

I know it may be poking a hornets nest for you and LABillz, but what is "this?"

It is significant because she is attractive and is not the standard lesbian you picture in Hollywood - Ellen, Rosie O'Donnell, etc. That she is young, successful (or was) is why this is popular as a story. Why it is popular with me is simple - that we're not seeing a major protest against her by national media. We're not obsessing over her like would likely have happened just 12 years ago.

Hmmm I'm gonna disagree with this. You think just 12 years ago? How long ago did Ellen degeneres come out? Wasn't that the 90s?

I had no idea who this was and when I read the girl that played Juno I thought how long ago is that? She isn't a name to me or really many people it appears judging by the tenor of this thread.

Also performing arts have always been more accepting of homosexuals than for example sports. This announcement isn't groundbreaking or important in any way. I completely understand why this is a news story as the celebrity information industry is huge and many people care about what and who famous people are doing.

Michael Sam is a big deal because he is the first nfl player to come out. Hopefully sports end up where movie stars and musicians are at now. where an announcement of sexuality doesn't register a blip on most peoples radar.

My who cares comes more from a perspective of not caring about celebrities in general but specifically not ones who I have only seen one movie years ago with them in it. I saw this covered on Fox News and thought to myself why is the sexuality of this person a big deal? As for your idea of her being attractive and not the normal looking lesbian, while a dangerous stereotype to make, I'd say Anne heche did it (in my best Simpsons did it voice)

Hmmm I'm gonna disagree with this. You think just 12 years ago? How long ago did Ellen degeneres come out? Wasn't that the 90s?

I had no idea who this was and when I read the girl that played Juno I thought how long ago is that? She isn't a name to me or really many people it appears judging by the tenor of this thread.

Also performing arts have always been more accepting of homosexuals than for example sports. This announcement isn't groundbreaking or important in any way. I completely understand why this is a news story as the celebrity information industry is huge and many people care about what and who famous people are doing.

Michael Sam is a big deal because he is the first nfl player to come out. Hopefully sports end up where movie stars and musicians are at now. where an announcement of sexuality doesn't register a blip on most peoples radar.

My who cares comes more from a perspective of not caring about celebrities in general but specifically not ones who I have only seen one movie years ago with them in it. I saw this covered on Fox News and thought to myself why is the sexuality of this person a big deal? As for your idea of her being attractive and not the normal looking lesbian, while a dangerous stereotype to make, I'd say Anne heche did it (in my best Simpsons did it voice)

Ellen is not attractive in any way. I think most men, and women, find Ellen Page attractive. She is not an A-List or probably B-List celeb. She's probably slightly more known the Porsche Derassi but that she is younger, more attractive and still seems to be working is much different then Ellen DeGeneres.

I don't care what people do, but I do find that once an actor comes out as gay, if they play a heterosexual role I can't suspend belief.

***Disclaimer- I don't really understand what you meant by "I can't suspend belief" so I will go off what I thought you meant.

how did you feel about Tom Hanks in Philadelphia?

I meant suspend disbelief, and I felt the same about Tom Hanks playing a gay guy.

So does that mean you believe their portrayal?

I understand what Pasta Joe is saying. The Poojer also makes a good point about Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia".

Let me give another example in this debate. Would people have found the love story in "The Thornbirds" as believable, if they had known Richard Chamberlain was gay?

Edited by Mark Vader

Ellen is not attractive in any way. I think most men, and women, find Ellen Page attractive. She is not an A-List or probably B-List celeb. She's probably slightly more known the Porsche Derassi but that she is younger, more attractive and still seems to be working is much different then Ellen DeGeneres.

I agree Ellen isn't attractive but she is a much bigger star than Ellen page. Anne heche though also came out years ago and is also very attractive. I just don't ever find it surprising when a performer comes out as gay. I think they are the group that has progressed furthest along the this isn't a big deal timeline that sports is just beginning.

WHAT?????!!!!!!!!

I understand what Pasta Joe is saying. The Poojer also makes a good point about Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia".

Let me give another example in this debate. Would people have found the love story in "The Thornbirds" as believable, if they had known Richard Chamberlain was gay?

why does it need to be announced

I thought the speech she made was very good, and to a very specific crowd and for a good reason. She was thanking those that were there and being open about it as an example to others who are as scared as she was.

Now, I won't say that she didn't have ulterior motives (a bump to her as of late slow career) since I obviously don't know her. But for the sake of argument I'll give her the benefit of the doubt; this wasn't a public statement made to the press for no other reason than attention grabbing.

I agree Ellen isn't attractive but she is a much bigger star than Ellen page. Anne heche though also came out years ago and is also very attractive. I just don't ever find it surprising when a performer comes out as gay. I think they are the group that has progressed furthest along the this isn't a big deal timeline that sports is just beginning.

Anne Heche is somebody I never heard of until she "came out" and was Ellen's partner..........Then I guess she went back in. She's said all of her other relationships were with men. And, she's been married twice since Ellen.

I actually didn't find her attractive during her Ellen time. I don't like super short hair. When she grew it out, she did look very good.