who thinks we will go OT in the 1st round

So, I wanted to condense what everyone has been saying up to this point, if I miss something please let me know:

1) the #9 spot is a rather tricky spot to be drafting. There are a few players we would like to take here, but there is discrepancies on how high people feel players should be taken.

2) Without trading out at #9 the top 2 picks would be:

Matthews/OT, Robinson/OT, Watkins/WR, Mack/ILB

* Note: Both OT would be drafted to play RT and swing to LT should injury force the occasion.

3) If none of the 4 mention in #2 are there at 9 Trading back for more picks is pretty much unanimously agreed as the best option to stock pile picks in a deep class for WR/TE/LB/Large Corners in the early part fo the draft.

4) There are some excellent talents to be found in the late part of the draft due to players coming out early or recovering from injury.

Does this sum up what we've argued/agreed upon to this point as a whole community?

-----------------------------------------------------

I would like to start a collection of teams that could actually trade to the 9 spot and have a showing of what we would get in return.

Also i would like to note that I ran a mock draft with some friends for the first round, we all like different teams and the fact that we each like teams in different divisions lined up perfectly: In our draft, Watkins was there at 9 however we did not allow for trades in our first mock because we felt that FA would affect the outcome too much and we wanted to get an idea of how much time it would take.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't put it past the team to go OT round 1. You have a young QB that could use better protection, and while Glenn, Wood, and Urbik are very good to solid the LG and RT spots for sure could use upgrades.

What position they pick is going to change based on who is available and what the Bills do in free agency.

Fair enough, I have Hughes as a pass rushing DE in Schwartz's defense. He will be playing primarily on passing downs in my scenario with Mack playing outside and Kiko manning the middle. FWIW I like Skov a lot as well.

Maybe some of my reservation is that outside of Robinson I think that it is a coin flip as to the rest of the tackles. I think that Matthews upside is limited and some others are a little boom or bust. If there are 6 that are roughly the same (or whatever) I would just assume pick the 6th of that group an not the 1st. It's all about value to me and I just don't see the tackle value outside of Robinson at 9. If LT was a need it would be a different story. I want 2 OL in rounds 2-4 (RT and LG). If they trade down its a different story potentially depending on who is on the board.

I do like your logic. The Bills should get 2 starters easily from this draft and both should be significant upgrades. We should be discussing in terms of those first two picks, though I think they can find a starter at G in the 3rd too, given the current level of play.

Indeed...the only exception, for me, is situations like Buffalo's last year, where you have nothing that resembles a QB prospect on your roster. In that case, I think it's reasonable to be "QB or bust"...that's the only exception IMO.

ive often mentioned my BPA except for QB opinions.... basically, an totally simplified version of nosaints draft strategy: do you see a franchise qb? yes/no, if yes take them, if no proceed to taking the best available player.

if you have a very complete roster and are 1 position from the SB, sure find a way to target that role (hopefully through free agency before the draft), but generally speaking BPA all the way.

I'm glad you agree. There is some ballwashing going on ("He made Manziel who he is" etc.), and I just tweeted that Evans' leaps sometimes don't clear the CB's ankle socks.

I still like Vandy's Jordan in the second or if he is there in the early third. He has good size, catches with his hands, and was simply productive as the go-to guy that everyone knew they were going to go-to. Good value I think, where draftniks have him falling.

I think that (as of now with possibly much to change), that they have to look at:

WR: Watkins & Benjamin (Benjamin will go much higher than many anticipate based on size, athleticism and the p-word potential)

OT: Mathews and Robinson or bust. I don't *think* that Lewan will be in the discussion at 9.

LB: Mack or Barr(possibly).

I think those are the main targets, with Ebron on the outside.

If 2-3 QBs go early, they should have a shot at one or more of these guys.

Mike Mayock was an NFL player, and currently is employed by the NFL, as an announcer and draft guru / analyst. He happens to be so good at the draft that many teams have wanted to hire him as a scout, chief scout, and other positions. He turned them all down to continue to work for the NFL.

I highly doubt that there is a football fan on the planet that has more knowledge about each years draft class then Mike Mayock.

I'm not sure who is behind "Scout's Inc", FWIW their top 32 is listed on the ESPN draft site, and they have Lewan ranked #9.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

I'm not sure who is behind "Scout's Inc", FWIW their top 32 is listed on the ESPN draft site, and they have Lewan ranked #9.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

These guys also have him at 9.

http://sports.yahoo....35564--nfl.html

Mel Kiper also lists him as a top ten pick

has him at #14

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&yr=2014

Like I've said, we should know more after this weekend, as the Combine starts Friday.

CollegeFootball 24/7@NFL_CFB 14m

Mayock: I think offensive tackle is deep. Could go 3-4 rounds deep and get a starting OT.

I still like Vandy's Jordan in the second or if he is there in the early third. He has good size, catches with his hands, and was simply productive as the go-to guy that everyone knew they were going to go-to. Good value I think, where draftniks have him falling.

Jordan Matthews - I agree, would love this guy

CollegeFootball 24/7@NFL_CFB 14m

Mayock: I think offensive tackle is deep. Could go 3-4 rounds deep and get a starting OT.

Jordan Matthews - I agree, would love this guy

Alway like it when Mayock and I are on the same page. :) Does that change anyone's opinion on RT or bust at 9? Edited by Kirby Jackson

Alway like it when Mayock and I are on the same page. :) Does that change anyone's opinion on RT or bust at 9?

That and Mayock's grade has Lewan as his 16th best player. He's got Mosely, Benjamin, and Ebron ranked 7-9. It looks like it's Mathews or Robinson at 9, otherwise one of the 3 listed.

Central Michigans Eric Fisher (Chiefs) and Texas A&Ms Luke Joeckel (Jaguars) went 1-2 last April, and they were joined by Oklahomas Lane Johnson (Eagles) and Alabamas D.J. Fluker (Chargers) in the top 11.

Now consider this:

When you stack up the best four tackles in this years class, you would put them ahead of those two (Fisher and Joeckel), an AFC scout told Sporting News before the Scouting Combine.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-02-20/nfl-scouting-combine-offensive-tackles-elite-talent-greg-robinson-cyrus-kouandjio-jake-matthews-taylor-lewan

Edited by papazoid

Ot is the go to position. If we get the top TE or outstanding linebacker I could live with it, but I think the cream of this crop is the OT position and an effective OT would be critical to maintaining EJ's progress and to further open up the run game. you can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many offensive linemen.

Ot is the go to position. If we get the top TE or outstanding linebacker I could live with it, but I think the cream of this crop is the OT position and an effective OT would be critical to maintaining EJ's progress and to further open up the run game. you can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many offensive linemen.

^This.

Ok, I'm back on the OT bandwagon.....at least until the next post...

Agreed...But this is a deep Draft at OT...And realistically the Bills are looking to upgrade at RT, and they need a LG...So I'm uncertain how willing they are going to be to use #9 on an OT...Especially if Robinson and Matthews both go in the top 8...Is Lewan really that much better than Martin or Kouandjio? Just another reason I think a slight trade down is in play big-time...Grabbing an extra 2nd round pick allows the Bills a ton of flexibility...And it's almost a certainty that a very good OT prospect, that can fill the need at RT easily, will still be available in a trade down scenario... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

mememememememe....raises hand!! oh wait, I already answered this :P

Agreed...But this is a deep Draft at OT...And realistically the Bills are looking to upgrade at RT, and they need a LG...So I'm uncertain how willing they are going to be to use #9 on an OT...Especially if Robinson and Matthews both go in the top 8...Is Lewan really that much better than Martin or Kouandjio? Just another reason I think a slight trade down is in play big-time...Grabbing an extra 2nd round pick allows the Bills a ton of flexibility...And it's almost a certainty that a very good OT prospect, that can fill the need at RT easily, will still be available in a trade down scenario... B-)

How many of them are elite?

When you look at what Whaley was able to do with free agency and that trade with the Colts last off season. I have no doubt that he can fill in whatever LBers or defensive players the team needs in free agency. DE, Alan Branch. LBer, Manny Lawson. LBer, Jerry Hughes.

OTOH, look what happened when they tried to replace the LG... :doh: I don't trust this scouting dept to find a top OT to replace Pears in the 2nd, 3rd rounds or later. I'm starting to think that Cordy Glenn was that elusive nut that a blind squirrel finds now and again. Who knows whats going to happen at LG this year.