Hackett is Dead Man Walking

patfitz

Nate Hackett wil lmostlikely not last his second season, despite the valiant efforts by Marrone to prop him up with adding Hostler, Downing and SU underling Rob Moore. Imagine the chaffing on his neck as the noose gets tighter and the calls for his head get louder. At least Danny Crossman is safe no special assistants waiting in the wings to "assist" him and "offload" his responsibilites . One wonders where Hackett feels in this new arrangement. Probably like Caeser, atu Douglas!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a chance he gets fired in season.

Et tu

I agree 100%. There is absolutely zero chance he gets fired this season. Just for the record, virtually all OC's have a QB coach, and a WR coach. And although Hostler's title is senior offensive assistant, he will also work with the WR corps.

OP, I agree with your overall point but some of the evidence you present to support your premise is very weak. Hiring a QB coach and a WR coach is hardly evidence of Marrone hedging against Hackett's failing. It's called building a staff that was undermanned last year without a QB coach. On the other hand, there's no question that Hostler has OC ambitions and I like that - it definitely incentivizes Hackett to succeed.

I, for one, think Hackett had a decent rookie season last year. He had Tuel and Thad to work with for more than half the season. We didn't lose many games due to a lack of scoring. Most importantly, Hackett seemed to adapt pretty well. He made improvements on a consistent basis, in my opinion. I'm not sure what the knock is on this guy, to be honest.

he better take control of his unit. put in the work in to insure his playbook is schematically sound, his coaches are teaching the techniques and discipline to successfully execute the plays, and his gameplans anticipate how his offense will be defended.

they were very sloppy last season, and often seemed to have no answers.

if he's going to succeed as an NFL coordinator, he must put in the work and insist his coaches are as committed as he is.

preperation wins in this league. let the Jills handle the cheerleading.

I, for one, think Hackett had a decent rookie season last year. He had Tuel and Thad to work with for more than half the season. We didn't lose many games due to a lack of scoring. Most importantly, Hackett seemed to adapt pretty well. He made improvements on a consistent basis, in my opinion. I'm not sure what the knock is on this guy, to be honest.

I agree 100 percent with this. two rookies and Thad. he did pretty well and adjusted well. Not his fault he lacked an actual qb.

While I'm willing to give the guy a pass due to his rookie stupidity with several issues. He did have great difficulty's facing him with the QB's, the lack of production from his receivers, and the inadequate play of the O line.

That line ranked 28th in pass protection, and it sure wasn't Hackett's fault he was left with Colin Brown, his backup in Sam Young, Erik Pears, and Doug Legursky on that line. That line was Marrone's fault for being out on the field and they regressed in several areas, including center. It was also Whaley's fault for allowing those bad players to take the field in the first place.

That said the supposed coaching problems have been rectified, and so its up to those I mentioned to learn from their mistakes, and build that O line properly.

I agree 100 percent with this. two rookies and Thad. he did pretty well and adjusted well. Not his fault he lacked an actual qb.

Exactly. I honestly don't understand why Hacket took so much heat last year. Look who his Qb's were. I mean he ran an offense that put over 500 yards on the Chiefs who were one of the top ranked defenses at the time with Jeff Tuel as his QB. That counts for something in my book.

Exactly. I honestly don't understand why Hacket took so much heat last year. Look who his Qb's were. I mean he ran an offense that put over 500 yards on the Chiefs who were one of the top ranked defenses at the time with Jeff Tuel as his QB. That counts for something in my book.

NO!!! A good O coordinator would have had the Bills top 10 in every statistical category regardless of the players!!!!!

/s

Nate Hackett wil lmostlikely not last his second season, despite the valiant efforts by Marrone to prop him up with adding Hostler, Downing and SU underling Rob Moore. Imagine the chaffing on his neck as the noose gets tighter and the calls for his head get louder. At least Danny Crossman is safe no special assistants waiting in the wings to "assist" him and "offload" his responsibilites . One wonders where Hackett feels in this new arrangement. Probably like Caeser, atu Douglas!

I'm not sure what you're basing this opinion on...can you elaborate? Your statements above are fairly nebulous...

Agreed

he better take control of his unit. put in the work in to insure his playbook is schematically sound, his coaches are teaching the techniques and discipline to successfully execute the plays, and his gameplans anticipate how his offense will be defended.

they were very sloppy last season, and often seemed to have no answers.

if he's going to succeed as an NFL coordinator, he must put in the work and insist his coaches are as committed as he is.

preperation wins in this league. let the Jills handle the cheerleading.

I think his biggest adjustment needs to be calling a game plan that allows his young QB to get comfortable with the passing game--i.e. rhythm/timing patterns etc. I can only remember maybe 3 games in which he did this: Carolina, KC, and the 2nd Jets game.

While I'm willing to give the guy a pass due to his rookie stupidity with several issues. He did have great difficulty's facing him with the QB's, the lack of production from his receivers, and the inadequate play of the O line.

That line ranked 28th in pass protection, and it sure wasn't Hackett's fault he was left with Colin Brown, his backup in Sam Young, Erik Pears, and Doug Legursky on that line. That line was Marrone's fault for being out on the field and they regressed in several areas, including center. It was also Whaley's fault for allowing those bad players to take the field in the first place.

That said the supposed coaching problems have been rectified, and so its up to those I mentioned to learn from their mistakes, and build that O line properly.

Not according to PFF, which you've used on many occasions to bolster your OL arguments:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/3/

Don't forget the gashing they gave some of the best run defenses like Baltimore, Cleveland, and Cincinnati.

I do think that Hackett does share some criticism. of note is the decision to have Tuel throw on the goal line when you have summers and jackson. On the other hand, he called a great game winning drive in the first win against carolina and the bomb to Goodwin in the second game against the jets he called because he was on the sideline and channeled his players annoyance that rex was slowing down the game with a challenge on graham's catch. he had a rookie year and I want to see what he can do given a year where he doesn't have to split his attention between gameplanning and helping with E.J.`s mechanics.

That's rational. Stop it.

Et to means "you too", so I'm not sure what you were referring to - that everyone, including his coach is stabbing him in the back?

Besides that, no way. They are just filling out the offensive staff appropriately, which is a darn good thing. Madrone saw talent but inexperience and addressed it.

The lack of QBs was his fault for backing Marrone to get rid of TJax. Utter stupidity.

he did pretty well for what he had to work with. 3 different qbs played. the o-line was not dependable. cj was never 100 percent. the wr and te position do not strike fear into anyone. even if we draft wr and/or te, it will be at least another season of iffy play on offense.

The knock would be because of how predictable they were on first down. They were continually in second or third and long. There was also a lack of play action. Hard to run play action from the shotgun.

Yeah, I agree a lot with FtL.

Right now he should be stating his case hard for at least one real quality OLmen and receiving threat (WR or TE).

...on top of that he needs to truly figure out what made CJ so good in 2012 and repeat it in 2014 or we need to do something differently at RB. I know CJ was banged up, but from the get go it just didn't seem like things were working.