Latest from Kiper & McShay

Beerball

I assume you two don't watch much college football.

Watkins has been a very good WR for the past couple of seasons and IMO is the most NFL ready WR in the draft. And while I think the Bills have bigger needs at other positions, I could get used to the idea of drafting Watkins.

Having said that, I would not be opposed to trading down in the draft.

I actually watch a ton - hence the "lol." I know all about Watkins. I was +1 that I am an extra big fan because he likes the Bills, not that I don't know anything about him. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you two don't watch much college football.

Watkins has been a very good WR for the past couple of seasons and IMO is the most NFL ready WR in the draft. And while I think the Bills have bigger needs at other positions, I could get used to the idea of drafting Watkins.

Having said that, I would not be opposed to trading down in the draft.

I don't watch any, really. I'm fine with a playmaking WR at #9, but I do think this would be a great year to trade down a few spots like last year and pick up Ebron. I would like that.

I think that Watkins is more than a little more athletic than SJ , we'll see at the combine. Further, Watkins has been extremely productive.

I am not yet saying that Watkins should be their choice, but I think he should be a candidate.

So is a slightly more athletic SJ/ Woods really worth the #9 pick? also, it's one thing to outclass ACC cbs, it's another to do it to NFL ones. I think Watkins is a good player but I don't think he is exactly what this team needs or is effort of an upgrade over the players we have.

For me, it's between Mike Evans and Ebron. Both guys are physically mismatches. When's the last time the Bills had a matchup problem on offense? Evans will depend on what the teams think about his route running. But it would be nice to just have a guy who can just physically beat a CB or S.

So is a slightly more athletic SJ/ Woods really worth the #9 pick? also, it's one thing to outclass ACC cbs, it's another to do it to NFL ones. I think Watkins is a good player but I don't think he is exactly what this team needs or is effort of an upgrade over the players we have.

For me, it's between Mike Evans and Ebron. Both guys are physically mismatches. When's the last time the Bills had a matchup problem on offense? Evans will depend on what the teams think about his route running. But it would be nice to just have a guy who can just physically beat a CB or S.

If Watkins is there I can't see a situation where they take a different pass catcher. His skill set is so far superior and he has way less holes than any of the others (not to mention his production). I seriously doubt that he is there as many experts have him as one of the top 2 talents in the draft. Playmakers like that are not guys that fall on draft day. He is way more talented than anyone that we have catching the football.

I am okay with Ebron but I am not an Evans fan. He is a poor route runner and made a great deal of play on the brilliance of JFF. I would rather Lee or Benjamin than Evans. I am not sure that I would want him if he were on the board in the 2nd. He has James Hardy written all over him to me. If I am going to take a shot on a big guy it would be Benjamin after trading down.

If Watkins is there I can't see a situation where they take a different pass catcher. His skill set is so far superior and he has way less holes than any of the others (not to mention his production). I seriously doubt that he is there as many experts have him as one of the top 2 talents in the draft. Playmakers like that are not guys that fall on draft day. He is way more talented than anyone that we have catching the football.

I am okay with Ebron but I am not an Evans fan. He is a poor route runner and made a great deal of play on the brilliance of JFF. I would rather Lee or Benjamin than Evans. I am not sure that I would want him if he were on the board in the 2nd. He has James Hardy written all over him to me. If I am going to take a shot on a big guy it would be Benjamin after trading down.

I respect your opinion. But until he does it on the NFL level, I will not call him better than Stevie Johnson. Johnson gets open against Revis and Sherman. Watkins gets open against the majority of guys who won't get a shot in the league. Sure, there's a ton of potential but he needs to prove it. SJ has.

And Evans will be very trickier. I do know that SEC wrs who dominate like he did have translated really well to the NFL (Julio Jones, AJ Green, Bowe, etc.). It will be interesting.

I respect your opinion. But until he does it on the NFL level, I will not call him better than Stevie Johnson. Johnson gets open against Revis and Sherman. Watkins gets open against the majority of guys who won't get a shot in the league. Sure, there's a ton of potential but he needs to prove it. SJ has.

And Evans will be very trickier. I do know that SEC wrs who dominate like he did have translated really well to the NFL (Julio Jones, AJ Green, Bowe, etc.). It will be interesting.

I love Stevie and have always been a defender of his for the reasons that you mention. Watkins is a legit #1 IMO. He is a complete WR with explosive playmaking ability. There is a write up today from Matt Miller that says that he plays with the straight line speed of Torrey Smith and the physicality of Brandon Marshall.

Evans' production is directly linked to the genius of Johnny IMO. It was backyard football with some huge plays (see the Alabama game). In terms of the SEC WR I like Matthews, Landry and Beckham. I think that they will each be productive and good round 2-3 targets if you miss a hot at Watkins.

There is a lot of WR depth this year (same with OL). If you do not get the top guy you might as well wait or trade down. Players 2-15 or so are certainly debatable. That is one reason that I do not dislike Ebron because I think that he is the clear cut top TE. I am not sure about a top 10 TE but you can never be mad at getting the top player in the draft at a position of need. That's the goal - right?

I want a top 10 pick that ha a high floor and a high ceiling. Those guys to me are Watkins and Mack of the candidates that I have seen linked to the Bills. Ebron probably falls into the category as well. I am scared of guys with lots of upside (like Dion Jordan was last year). In addition, I don't understand using a top 10 pick on solid guys with limited upside (Jake Matthews to me). If the Bills were picking 20 or so my approach would change.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I agree completely. Wakins is 6'1 205. We'll see what the combine results are, but I'd bet he runs in the 4.3's if not 4.2's. Vertical jump, probably 37-42 inches IMO. He's a world class athlete that not only burn by people, but jump over them while tracking the ball. If he's there, its a no brainer that he's the pick IMO. He's a fierce competitor and the kind of locker room guy we need. That being said, he'll probably be off the board when pick. Robinson or matthews would be great. As would mack, mosely, ebron. I'm not very high on Lewan, Barr (for our system) or Evans. Trading down would be even better.

I agree completely. Wakins is 6'1 205. We'll see what the combine results are, but I'd bet he runs in the 4.3's if not 4.2's. Vertical jump, probably 37-42 inches IMO. He's a world class athlete that not only burn by people, but jump over them while tracking the ball. If he's there, its a no brainer that he's the pick IMO. He's a fierce competitor and the kind of locker room guy we need. That being said, he'll probably be off the board when pick. Robinson or matthews would be great. As would mack, mosely, ebron. I'm not very high on Lewan, Barr (for our system) or Evans. Trading down would be even better.

I'm with you on those guys

Mike Williams and Spiller jump immediately to mind. I can't answer for Kiper or McShay but many mocks had the Bills taking these guys.

I think Charles Davis from NFL network was the one who knew Spiller would be the Bills pick, as he had him in almost every mock he did that year. Plus he really talked the guy up.

Anyway, most of this speculation is fun, but kinda moot until after the combine....a little more then just two weeks away :P

I can't wait until I hear from Mike Mayock on what he has to say about most of these players

If Watkins runs in the 4.2s he'll be a top 5 pick without a doubt. Goodwin ran a 4.27, and that was the 2nd fastest time ever recorded at the combine.

I'm going to guess Watkins runs in the 4.4s, and gets picked in the top 7.

If Watkins runs in the 4.2s he'll be a top 5 pick without a doubt. Goodwin ran a 4.27, and that was the 2nd fastest time ever recorded at the combine.

His 40 time is going to be fast but what sets him apart is his game speed. He is explosive, elusive, and so quick that his straight ahead speed in a 40-yd dash may not matter as much.

this draft is loaded in what we need......someone outstanding will be there at #9:

QB- bridgewater, manziel,bortles

OT- robinson, Matthews, lewan

DE/LB- clowney, barr, mack , mosley

TE/WR - ebron, watkins, evans, lee

I agree with this. I am very happy with our spot. Take any one of these guys and Im thrilled

His 40 time is going to be fast but what sets him apart is his game speed. He is explosive, elusive, and so quick that his straight ahead speed in a 40-yd dash may not matter as much.

Oh I agree...I'm just saying that if his timed speed is as fast as Goodwin's, then given what scouts will see on tape, he virtually has to be a top 5 pick.

Bills need a better Offensive line rather than a upgraded WR corps. EJ needs to have a line he can rely on to throw and the RBs need a line who can blow open holes in the defense. OT is a better pick at 9. WR can be picked up in the later rounds.

McShay even acknowledges the Bills has more pressing needs. This why he is not a GM. You don't go for luxury when you have pressing needs. The Bills played this game once when they drafted an injured Willis McGahee when the next pick was Dallas Clark. Clark could have been the TE the Bill needed for he past decade.

Edited by Nitro

For what it's worth

http://www.tigernet.com/update/football/3-Clemson-WRs-run-fast-unofficial-40-times-11387

Sammy Watkins is from my area of Florida, he stated on a local news interview that the Bills are his favorite team. He said he does not care for the Dolphins, even though they are the local "home" team. I would have no problem seeing him in the red, white and blue!

Oh goodness...More reason to get my hopes up...

Watkins claimed to run a 4.27 on grass last spring too...Don't want to get my hopes up too high though...I just don't see how he gets to #9... B-)

I like Watkins as a player but I'm struggling to see how he is much different than SJ/ Woods. Maybe SW is a little more athletic. But IMO, that's not our need. Get me a beast at wr (not jsut big but a beast) or Ebron.

It's unlikely he slides this far, but it would allow us to slide Stevie into the slot WITHOUT having TJ on the outside. Watkins and Woods on either edge, with Stevie in the slot and Goodwin in the rotation would be a formidable WR corps. Not sure why, but Watkins reminds me a bit of Eric Moulds