Per Bills text Rob Moore hired as WR coach

Beerball

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Syracuse connection if I'm not mistaken, but I always respected him as a receiver...if he is as good a coach as WR, we are in good hands...

That's the guy. Not much of a coaching background, but a great player in his time.

Show me the money, Jerry.

That's the guy. Not much of a coaching background, but a great player in his time.

Show me the money, Jerry.

:w00t:

Knowing how to play does not make one a good coach. I'll wait and see before I cheer or boo this decision... seems a bit too easy to just fall back on hiring Syracuse guys, though.

He hired Hostler too, who will likely mentor Moore quite a bit. I don't see it as a negative at all. Clearly, we don't know what we will get out of any of these coaching hires in February.

No reflection on Rob Moores capabilities, but the continued hiring of Marrone "buddies" is troubling. It is certainly legit to hire people that are qualified, and those in which you already have a relationship. It fosters a hit the ground running situation. bypasses the get to know each other phase. But, our young guys could use some help and I always wonder if the good old boy network is better than best coach available. Lots of old NFL receivers around.....we need a good coach. Anyhow, Marrone's show here, Moore is his man. So be it, Marrone will succeed or fail with the team of coaches he fields. Chan Gailey failed, partially, because of the coaches he picked. (thinking on the D side) Marrone at the same risk here.

From what I've read, I like it. I think it's a good move that speaks of professionalisam and the Dougs doing their best to get guys who know exactly what they want and how to coach / teach young talent. Nice find and good hire IMO....

No reflection on Rob Moores capabilities, but the continued hiring of Marrone "buddies" is troubling. It is certainly legit to hire people that are qualified, and those in which you already have a relationship. It fosters a hit the ground running situation. bypasses the get to know each other phase. But, our young guys could use some help and I always wonder if the good old boy network is better than best coach available. Lots of old NFL receivers around.....we need a good coach. Anyhow, Marrone's show here, Moore is his man. So be it, Marrone will succeed or fail with the team of coaches he fields. Chan Gailey failed, partially, because of the coaches he picked. (thinking on the D side) Marrone at the same risk here.

Not advocating one way or the other for Moore, but do you know who else is available that would be better? Serious question, as I haven't researched it. Also, they hired the WR coach from Baltimore. They basically have a Sr. WR coach and Jr. WR coach. To me, that means they know enough about Moore from coaching with him to think he is a good WR coach who knows the system they are running (I know some people just want to say Marrone is hiring his "buddies" but in NFL terms it means they are hiring people who know the system), but they are giving him an established NFL WR coach as well to coach under (Hostler). Where's the downside? Edited by YoloinOhio

Sounds to me like you're against it because that's what you've decided.

I understand the heavy hand of skepticism, but it's not like they couldn't find a great quality WR coach, they actually believe they've found one. The man had a couple of Pro-Bowl seasons before it became an on-line voting session and an All-Pro honor. And that is after he had to work hard to demonstrate his capability, it's not like he was top 10 Draft talent that could just essentially walk on to the team and know he had a roster spot. He had to earn it. Also, I like how his coaching journey took him to where he is, it's different than the usual taking any coaching position available type of work and has worked with young WRs for awhile now....I think that helps. I don't mean to suggest you didn't like the hire or like it for that matter, but it just seems that if Marrone does what any other coach does - hire a guy he is familiar with - he gets BBQ'd for it, which is a double standard IMO...