Discussion of The Bills Fan Alliance concept

From the front page of TBD via the Buff News.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/erie-county/can-fans-help-keep-bills-here-20140201?two-bills-drive

I think it's interesting. But to me, if they were to raise $170 million, I think the reason should be first and foremost to give to any local Bills ownership group that is being severely outbid by an outside group when the team is sold. So if they offer, 850 million and the other group offers 1 billion, this fund kicks in so the team is kept. That bid by an outsider of 150 m or so more that a local buyer group is the only way the team is going to be moved.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it very interesting as well, but seemed like not enough to me. I would have thought more like 400M would have been needed. Good to see Russett name associated with it, kid can prolly get a lot o politicians to put heat on the NFL if they start getting squirrelly about this kind of arrangement...like maybe Congress gotta look at that blackout rule and anti trust exemption....think our Timmy was loved enough in DC that could happen.

BTW, think they nailed it on the head with all the ou to town Bills fans willing to chip in...think it would be a no brainer for the majority of us!

I would 'donate' to the cause. Similar capital pools are being raised through various internet sites with the proceeds going to finance films and lots of other projects. Some of the individuals soliciting the funds in these others cases are plenty wealthy and people dont seem to mind.

It is the same basic principle here. People give and don't expect any financial return.

It seems the article missed the part of the launch date. If they organize it as a 501©(3) they should have no problem getting donations as they will be tax deductible. I am a non-WNY resident Bills fan who would gladly donate. They could also do "tiers." Donate $50 for "general member" of the Bills Fan Alliance, $100 for Bronze, $200 for Silver, $ 500 for Gold, $1000 for Chairman, etc. People love that sort of thing.

This plays directly into, and gives reason for my New Years resolution: to write to Russ and Marry Owen, imploring them to do more to activate Bills fans outside WNY and So. Ontario.

If it's money they're after, there are legions of non-Buffalonian Bills fans (dare I say more fans living outside the media jurisdiction) who could/would contribute to this. The Bills organization needs to hold up its end of the bargain, though, by providing more direct community outreach programs that take place at the major Bills hubs around the country.

I've drafted the first draft of the letter I intend to send, PM me if you'd like to read it.

hmm.. a franchise with an asking price of about $900M - that for starters, must be moved to another market to give it a chance to generate any kind of a return on my investment?

i'm out

Clearly you didn't read the article. It's not an 'investment'. It's more like a donation to help keep the team in Buffalo. You'd only get your money back if a new owner moved the team and repaid the fund, which was disbanded and capital returned to shareholders.

Edited by dubs

So let me get this straight. This organization creates a fund to help defray the costs of keeping the team here, right?

Would something like this possibly sway a family member toward the idea of holding onto the team for a while after Mr Wilson is gone?

Are there 1.7 million people willing to donate 100 to the cause? Or am I bad at math?

they're assuming that some "members" would be compelled to contribute more. Edited by sodbuster

It's a pretty simple concept.

The "fund" would be there to provide the team an interest free loan, which could save the team between 10-20m per year in interest expenses. An approximate equal value to some teams annual luxury suite revenue. However, it would only be available to the team if it stays in Buffalo. Otherwise capital is returned to 'investors'.

Edited by dubs

$170 million doesn't seem like it would be enough to move the needle on anything, but I'd be in.

This plays directly into, and gives reason for my New Years resolution: to write to Russ and Marry Owen, imploring them to do more to activate Bills fans outside WNY and So. Ontario.

If it's money they're after, there are legions of non-Buffalonian Bills fans (dare I say more fans living outside the media jurisdiction) who could/would contribute to this. The Bills organization needs to hold up its end of the bargain, though, by providing more direct community outreach programs that take place at the major Bills hubs around the country.

I've drafted the first draft of the letter I intend to send, PM me if you'd like to read it.

I agree with you that the Bills for some reason do next to nothing to cultivate Buffalo expatriates, who are among the most rabid of Bills fans. Kind of a mystery there.

What do you mean by "major Bills hubs"? Do you just mean fans in other major cities?