FA WR Eric Decker

Tipster19

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can overpay for guys like Demaryius Thomas, but not guys like Eric Decker. I guarantee you that some free agent WR who signs a cheap deal this year will put up at least 80% of what Decker does next year. I'd rather try to find that guy, and spend the money on re-signing our own guys or trying to upgrade the O-line. (Or a big-time TE, but I don't think there'll be any available.)

D. Thomas may be "a beast", but he can't seem to figure out that he needs to get past the first-down marker.

here is a list of wideouts that have played well against Sherman:

Was Sherman on him all game? I don't know if how often he was, but I would've put Sherman on D. Thomas before Decker.

IMO Decker is exactly the kind of WR that we need. He's not only has great size but he's also seasoned. Here's a WR that has played with one of the greatest QBs of all time the last 2 seasons. What I really like about the Pepper Johnson hiring is his great experience and coming from a very successful system from, once again, one of the greatest coaches of all time. Our young WRs would benefit greatly from playing and learning from an experienced WR from a winning system. Nothing against Stevie but who mentored him? What QB did he play with that he benefitted from, Fitz??! No, if you want to soar like an eagle then you don't flock around with turkey's. Just saying.....

In fairness to Decker, he played well when Tebow was there too. The stats weren't gaudy, but he was solid. It wasn't surprising when he lit it up the past two years. I would expect his stats to drop a little w/o Manning, but I suspect he'd still be a top 20 WR +/-.

i think if you listed out WRs youd probably err in the not top 20 direction of that. thats not to say hes bad but i think there are a lot of good WRs that people dont think of until they start actually listing them.

i think if you listed out WRs youd probably err in the not top 20 direction of that. thats not to say hes bad but i think there are a lot of good WRs that people dont think of until they start actually listing them.

You may be right, but I tend to think if I made a list I think it would be difficult to say whoever landed at #20 is clearly better than Decker.

ESPN New York expects free agent Eric Decker to command "No. 1" receiver-type money, or "at least" $9 million per year.

LOL. Does Manning come along with Decker? If not, no thanks.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5819/eric-decker

sounds about right - i guessed 8-10m before the super bowl. guy is going to get paid huge dollars. thats not to say hes a bad player but i think hed be hardpressed to live up to the contract hes about to receive and expectations that a team will naturally put on him at that pay grade.

I have to ask, does Manning make Decker or is Decker the kind of WR that helps Manning look good? If it's all on Manning than we better quit wasting our time on EJ and go and get a better QB because Decker has proven that he can produce if the QB is any good., meaning that if he can't produce here than it must be our QB. Just saying.....

You may be right, but I tend to think if I made a list I think it would be difficult to say whoever landed at #20 is clearly better than Decker.

fair enough. somewhere right around there is where i say it gets pretty muddy and its hard to separate 20 to say 35 (just to throw out ballpark numbers) due to scheme, talent around them, and a variety of other factors. without giving a firm number there are probably about 15-20 guys that we could generally agree on being at the top of the list and then it real quickly becomes "and then this group of guys" which is where i tend to put him.

sounds about right - i guessed 8-10m before the super bowl. guy is going to get paid huge dollars. thats not to say hes a bad player but i think hed be hardpressed to live up to the contract hes about to receive and expectations that a team will naturally put on him at that pay grade.

100% agreed.

I have to ask, does Manning make Decker or is Decker the kind of WR that helps Manning look good? If it's all on Manning than we better quit wasting our time on EJ and go and get a better QB because Decker has proven that he can produce if the QB is any good., meaning that if he can't produce here than it must be our QB. Just saying.....

I wouldn't say it's completely black and white. Decker produced an OK season before Manning in 2011, but being worth 9m/yr? No.

I could see him putting up numbers like Stevie without Manning - approx 1000yds and around 6-8 TD's. I just don't see him putting up 1,300+ yds and 11-13 TD's w/o Manning...unless of course he ends up with another future HOF like Brees or Rodgers.

Stevie makes around 5.5/yr? Paying Decker more than 7m/yr would be way too much, IMO.

Edited by bobobonators

In his sophomore season, with Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow throwing him the football, he had 44 receptions for 612 yards and 8 TD's. Not too shabby considering the steep learning curve for WR's. Any Bills receivers put up those numbers this season?

Not saying he is elite, but I would love to have him in Buffalo if the price were right. He's a big target, knows how to get open, and makes plays.

He knows how to get open?........Seahawks defense

I wouldn't say it's completely black and white. Decker produced an OK season before Manning in 2011, but being worth 9m/yr? No.

I could see him putting up numbers like Stevie without Manning - approx 1000yds and around 6-8 TD's. I just don't see him putting up 1,300+ yds and 11-13 TD's w/o Manning...unless of course he ends up with another future HOF like Brees or Rodgers.

Stevie makes around 5.5/yr? Paying Decker more than 7m/yr would be way too much, IMO.

stevies a shade over 7m.

He's a good player fo sho but he will get a big payday from someone, probably more than he is worth.

IMO the Bills will draft a wideout in May (to replace TJ) and it would be criminally stupid not to given the quality and depth of this years class.

If Watkins is there at # 9 he will be hard to pass up (but not impossible if either of the two top OTs are also there). More likely he is gone in which case the Bills target a big receiver in the mid-rounds IMO.

I could see him putting up numbers like Stevie without Manning - approx 1000yds and around 6-8 TD's.

You mean the Stevie of past years? If Decker were to put up numbers like that he would just about double what Stevie did last year. Furthermore I believe that we have a much better supporting cast of WRs than we have had years past, when Stevie was the recipient of more targets and more catches. If Decker were to get a 1,000+ yards and 6-8 TDs imagine what Woods and Goodwin would do. This offense would actually have to be considered high octane, with Spiller and Jackson in the backfield.