Will We Become The Lions ?

T master

At first i was happy with the Schwartz hire remembering that his D in Detroit had a edge to it that i thought would be good for the Bills to inherit , we need all the edge we can get .

But after a couple of days & like all of you reading as much as i can find about Schwartz i am starting to wonder if we will indeed be the Lions in Bills blue ?

The last time he had any really dominant defense was in 2010 in Detroit (but that wasn't real great) then in Tenn. which at least we have the Tenn. thing to fall back on as far as hope. But as with Pettine bringing a number of his coaches along with him to Cleveland if Schwartz does the same thing & brings a few of his guys along to B/lo will it be a step forward or back ?

We already have seen what the hire of the Lions ST's coach has done for us in the rankings , dropping us from #8 to #31 or so. Then add in the hire of the QB coach of which we need !! I just hope that Whaley & company see more than i do as a fan .

I'm not saying that i don't like the hire because i do , just after reading some of the stuff that undoubtedly you all have read too the doubt's have started to creep in so i'm looking to you all as the Bills faithful to pull me out of the funk that has started to over take the joy that was ...

Comparing Schwartz's D while he was the HC to ours now (with Schwartz back as DC) is apples to oranges in my opinion. Look at what he did as DC in Tennessee.

And no mention of Crossman?

his tennessee stats and scheme are not wildly different than his lions ones.

Edited by NoSaint

Lions have primarily failed b/c Stafford is a horrible QB and grossly overpaid. I'd rather have no QB with the prospect of obtaining one than to be tied up to that mess long-term.

From what I heard this AM on the radio Stafford has broken / holds a lot of offensive records. (If those records actually mean anything in the NFL itself).

He is the 4th quarterback in NFL history to throw over 5,000 yards in a single season, including one of three in the 2011 NFL season (Drew Brees and Tom Brady).

Lions records

Stafford 100th career touchdown pass moved him atop the Lions' all-time list for career passing yardage.

Most Passing Touchdowns in a Single Season: 41 (2011) * I'll take that ANY season

Most Passing Touchdowns in a Game: 5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Stafford#Lions_franchise_records

The sad part about this....that would be an improvement if in fact it was the case...I don't WANT to be "The Lions" but considering their relevance of the last few years, prime time games, Franchise QB, and at least one playoff appearance since Bill Clinton reinvigorated the use of cigars...it would be an uptick in demonstrative performance.

Not to be rude but what exactly are you asking/implying?

Well i guess seeing as we have hired 3 of the Lions past coaches & the over all of their effort didn't have a very good result , the question i guess is ?

Are we bound to stay (with these hirings) the Bills as we have known them or will these hires actually help our team out of the hole they have been in for the past 13 years .

I for one hope the later of the 2 & that these guys learned from their past & put us in a better place as a team but Crossman has shown NOTHING to this point !!!

I would bet, looking at the "talent" Schwartz has had elsewhere...this is the best defense he has ever coached.

(If he could do what he did with his defensive line, and no secondary...he will have just that much more to work with in Buffalo.)

Not to mention, his defenses have always been good at stopping the run, as well as getting off the field on 3rd down.

At first i was happy with the Schwartz hire remembering that his D in Detroit had a edge to it that i thought would be good for the Bills to inherit , we need all the edge we can get .

But after a couple of days & like all of you reading as much as i can find about Schwartz i am starting to wonder if we will indeed be the Lions in Bills blue ?

The last time he had any really dominant defense was in 2010 in Detroit (but that wasn't real great) then in Tenn. which at least we have the Tenn. thing to fall back on as far as hope. But as with Pettine bringing a number of his coaches along with him to Cleveland if Schwartz does the same thing & brings a few of his guys along to B/lo will it be a step forward or back ?

We already have seen what the hire of the Lions ST's coach has done for us in the rankings , dropping us from #8 to #31 or so. Then add in the hire of the QB coach of which we need !! I just hope that Whaley & company see more than i do as a fan .

I'm not saying that i don't like the hire because i do , just after reading some of the stuff that undoubtedly you all have read too the doubt's have started to creep in so i'm looking to you all as the Bills faithful to pull me out of the funk that has started to over take the joy that was ...

probably but without the franchise QB and big WR.

The sad part about this....that would be an improvement if in fact it was the case...I don't WANT to be "The Lions" but considering their relevance of the last few years, prime time games, Franchise QB, and at least one playoff appearance since Bill Clinton reinvigorated the use of cigars...it would be an uptick in demonstrative performance.

If it's any consolation, the Browns are aspiring to be the Bills.

They went from 0-16 in 2008 to the playoffs in Schwartz's 3rd year. We don't have nearly that far to go. So I hope we do become the Lions, in that way. I see a lot of similarities between the Lions and the Bills, and not in the snarky way. They hadn't been to the playoffs since 1999. Losing culture. Lots of top draft picks. Lousy economy. They found a QB and a coach and finally a way to utilize all their talent and made it back to the playoffs. Now they are looked at as a contender instead of always assumed to be coming in last. Schwartz was fired as HC for a reason - they didn't sustain what they attained in 2011. They were 6-3 and looking very strong to start the season and then couldn't finish. They had every chance to make the playoffs this year with the way things played out. Stafford came in as a rookie and had some similar injuries early in his career, worse than EJ, yet became their franchise QB. I know many say he isn't, but whenever you go into a draft and there isn't any question about whether you need to draft a QB high, you have one in the mix. Not everyone is in the top elite tier of Manning, Brady, Brees, Rogers - all going to the HOF. You need a strong enough QB to win games and take you into the playoffs. You don't need an elite HOF QB if you have enough other pieces. That is why those 4 guys have SBs - they are elite - but they don't win every year. Because teams rise up.

Yes

I totally get this. IMO though.... the Lions were better than the Bills this year in all phases.

I doubt the Bills will look anything like the Lions D, as this Bills D team has so much more talent in terms of draft pick quality.

The Lions drafted great DT's, and then got stupid with them by going with the wide-nine defense. That move allowed teams to gouge them with the run so they shored up the run defense which left the passing game susceptible to the big play. #6 against the run, #23 against the pass, #24 in receiving, 27th in sacks.

My take where Detroit really fell on their face was in Matthew Stafford just not getting it done at the end of the season. Stafford had 13 picks in his last 7 games, and at the end of the season committed more turnovers and had more dropped passes then any other team the last 5 games. They also lost 6 of their last 7 games.

Lets not forget that Detroit went 4-12 in 2012. That Detroit team lacked an outside pass rush, and that offense could move the ball but had trouble scoring pts.

I doubt the Bills will look anything like the Lions D, as this Bills D team has so much more talent in terms of draft pick quality.

The Lions drafted great DT's, and then got stupid with them by going with the wide-nine defense. That move allowed teams to gouge them with the run so they shored up the run defense which left the passing game susceptible to the big play. #6 against the run, #23 against the pass, #24 in receiving, 27th in sacks.

My take where Detroit really fell on their face was in Matthew Stafford just not getting it done at the end of the season. Stafford had 13 picks in his last 7 games, and at the end of the season committed more turnovers and had more dropped passes then any other team the last 5 games. They also lost 6 of their last 7 games.

Lets not forget that Detroit went 4-12 in 2012. That Detroit team lacked an outside pass rush, and that offense could move the ball but had trouble scoring pts.

Then this year they brought in Reggie Bush and utilized Joique Bell a lot, I didn't look at any of their offensive stats but I watched some of their games and they could run the ball in short yardage and ran some great screens for Bush. I liked their offense. When Megatron was healthy which was only thr first part of the year, they were fun to watch. Edited by YoloinOhio

From what I heard this AM on the radio Stafford has broken / holds a lot of offensive records. (If those records actually mean anything in the NFL itself).

He is the 4th quarterback in NFL history to throw over 5,000 yards in a single season, including one of three in the 2011 NFL season (Drew Brees and Tom Brady).

Lions records

Stafford 100th career touchdown pass moved him atop the Lions' all-time list for career passing yardage.

Most Passing Touchdowns in a Single Season: 41 (2011) * I'll take that ANY season

http://en.wikipedia....anchise_records

In 5 NFL seasons, Stafford has a W/L record of 24-37 in games he starts. 24-37. I understand it's a "team" game, but that's god-awful for someone who's supposed to be "good". Not only that, by looking at his games, one can almost make the argument that he has actually regressed as an NFL QB the last 2 seasons (after his best season in 2011).

In 5 NFL seasons, Stafford has a W/L record of 24-37 in games he starts. 24-37. I understand it's a "team" game, but that's god-awful for someone who's supposed to be "good". Not only that, by looking at his games, one can almost make the argument that he has actually regressed as an NFL QB the last 2 seasons (after his best season in 2011).

I didn't say he was great.

how is that compared to the Bills record. 6-10, 6-10, 6-10, 4-12, 6-10, 7-9, 7-9..........

I'd still like to see the passing TD # higher than what we've seen. AND a playoff appearance.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

how is that compared to the Bills record. 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9.

I'd still like to see the passing TD # higher than what we've seen. AND a playoff appearance.

I don't see how comparing Stafford to the Bills record can be a positive endorsement. Stafford was the #1 Pick in the NFL draft and is getting paid BOATLOADS of money. Yet in 5 years he has compiled a 24-37 record playing with what may turn out to be the greatest WR in NFL history.

I can't take away from his stats, but the guy simply isn't a winner.

I don't see how comparing Stafford to the Bills record can be a positive endorsement. Stafford was the #1 Pick in the NFL draft and is getting paid BOATLOADS of money. Yet in 5 years he has compiled a 24-37 record playing with what may turn out to be the greatest WR in NFL history.

I can't take away from his stats, but the guy simply isn't a winner.

He hasn't been great, but he is still really young as he came into the league at 21. I think he could still improve... but it may be that he isn't a hard worker. I have no idea if that is true as I really don't follow him or the Lions, but other people have mentioned that. If true, he won't improve and his talent will never be fully realized in Wins.

He hasn't been great, but he is still really young as he came into the league at 21. I think he could still improve... but it may be that he isn't a hard worker. I have no idea if that is true as I really don't follow him or the Lions, but other people have mentioned that. If true, he won't improve and his talent will never be fully realized in Wins.

He definitely is young (25 I believe?), but much like his throwing mechanics, his consistency is all over the place. Not what you want from a "franchise" QB who is owed a lot of $$$. And Stafford's inconsistency is as much to blame as anything else for the Lions failures during Schwartz's tenure (which was my original point).

I think he IS a franchise QB who almost always has the entire game to win or lose entirely on his shoulders. This is really not the way to develop a young QB. That and the fact that only one great WR won't get you very far, as one can be triple teamed and taken away.

Clearly Stafford is not a Peyton Manning, but then again he hasn't had the QB coaching / tutoring that Manning had. Manning had Tom Moore to teach him to call his own plays much the very same way Ted Marchibroda taught Jim Kelly to call his own plays.

He also had QB coach Jim Caldwell who was good enough to take over as HC of the Colts when Tony Dungy retired. Then OC of the SB winning Ravens, and now is the new HC of the Lions.

That said, I think it was a very smart move on the part of the Lions GM to hire Caldwell. Who will do wonders for that team offensively this season, and I would be surprised if the Lions drafted something other then one of the top 3 WR's at #10. Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans or Marquise Lee to help Calvin Johnson get open.

Good lord, can you imagine what kind of crazy match up that would be with 6'5'' WR Mike Evans & 6'5'' Calvin Johnson in the red zone

I think he IS a franchise QB who almost always has the entire game to win or lose entirely on his shoulders. This is really not the way to develop a young QB. That and the fact that only one great WR won't get you very far, as one can be triple teamed and taken away.

Clearly Stafford is not a Peyton Manning, but then again he hasn't had the QB coaching / tutoring that Manning had. Manning had Tom Moore to teach him to call his own plays much the very same way Ted Marchibroda taught Jim Kelly to call his own plays.

He also had QB coach Jim Caldwell who was good enough to take over as HC of the Colts when Tony Dungy retired. Then OC of the SB winning Ravens, and now is the new HC of the Lions.

That said, I think it was a very smart move on the part of the Lions GM to hire Caldwell. Who will do wonders for that team offensively this season, and I would be surprised if the Lions drafted something other then one of the top 3 WR's at #10. Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans or Marquise Lee to help Calvin Johnson get open.

Good lord, can you imagine what kind of crazy match up that would be with 6'5'' WR Mike Evans & 6'5'' Calvin Johnson in the red zone

I have said the same... I think it will be a good hire for them.

He definitely is young (25 I believe?), but much like his throwing mechanics, his consistency is all over the place. Not what you want from a "franchise" QB who is owed a lot of $$$. And Stafford's inconsistency is as much to blame as anything else for the Lions failures during Schwartz's tenure (which was my original point).

Well thats great to here seeing as Marrone & company just hired Staffords QB coach of the last couple of years WOW just sent my confidence level through the roof when it comes to EJ getting better !!

Well thats great to here seeing as Marrone & company just hired Staffords QB coach of the last couple of years WOW just sent my confidence level through the roof when it comes to EJ getting better !!

Haha. I think it's more on Stafford than it is the coach. Stafford throws the ball from multiple release points and quite frequently side-armed. drives me mad watching him play at times (I wouldn't say I like the Lions but for whatever reason I find myself watching plenty of their games every season). And though he's still young, he has been in the league now 5 seasons. I don't want to go as far as to say "he is what he is" but I don't see anyone teaching that dog new tricks.

I fully expect a bunch of winning seasons from Stafford in the future, along with plenty of bad seasons.

Edited by bobobonators

I have no idea how good Downing is. But if you read through the thread about him/Schwartz, it sounds like Stafford is the one who didn't accept coaching and didn't work hard. We have heard the opposite on EJ. I am just glad they hired a QB coach, and he isn't from Syracuse.

really the fact that we are in a debate over which failed franchise is better is depressing. most teams fans would be incredibly insulted to be compared to the lions, while many here aspire to it.

hopefully we become much more than the lions last few years.

I have no idea how good Downing is. But if you read through the thread about him/Schwartz, it sounds like Stafford is the one who didn't accept coaching and didn't work hard. We have heard the opposite on EJ. I am just glad they hired a QB coach, and he isn't from Syracuse.

LOL :thumbsup:

but i think that sentiment, though possibly (probably) very accurate, primarily came from posters simply saying "but yea, it was stafford so...."

but i think that sentiment, though possibly (probably) very accurate, primarily came from posters simply saying "but yea, it was stafford so...."

Right - I have never really followed Stafford closely enough (or the Lions) to know whether this lack of work ethic/uncoachable nature is any way true.... but seems to be a common assessment of him...

Yea, I don't see this move as an idea in just getting EJ some help, as I look at it more of a way to get all three young QB's some one on one help with an experienced NFL QB coach. This move is also freeing up the OC Nate Hackett to focus more on the game plans and play calling.

Lions records

http://en.wikipedia....anchise_records

Stafford is one of those quarterbacks who epitomizes the phrase "Good is the Enemy of Great". He roared back from injury his 2nd year to have a great season in his 3rd year. The Lions saw the playoffs in 2011 largely because of Stafford's play and a strong offense (top 5 that year) backed up by an adequate, mid-rank D (23rd).

The real question on Schwartz and the Lions is why, instead of building on the momentum of that performance, did they backslide to a horrid 2012 and mediocre 2013?

Stafford regressed to being kinda like "Ryan Fitzpatrick with an Arm" as a QB - a gamer, guy who tries to make things happen at the cost of throwing critical picks at the worst time of the game. 17, 19 picks last 2 years.

I don't know the answer to the "why, instead of building on 2011, did the Lions backslide"? I know their core coaching staff was the same (Linehan as OC, Gunther Cunningham as DC). The QB was the same. The DL was the same. 2 of their 4 DLmen were old guys in 2011 and stayed with at least one in 2012. They backslid on both O and D, 27th on D. Was it bringing in too many aging FA who put it together for 2011 and then ran out of gas, and 2013 saw an upswing as they were replaced with younger talent? I dunno.

Anyone else got some gouge?

The one thing that bothers me is that the Lions always struck me as an essentially undisciplined team, stupid dirty penalties at the wrong time. I don't think the Bills have been dirty, but their 2013 was marred by stupid penalties and the lack of discipline drove me nuts.

I'm not sure Schwartz is the right guy to turn that around, based upon what I saw from the Lions.

Dude! If you understand football is a team game (no quotes needed), then why are you hanging the Lions W/L on the QB? Very common mistake here, but usually coupled to the mistaken idea that the QB ought to carry the team. Ain't so. In case no one was watching, running game and D carried the Pats into the AFC championship game this year.

I agree with you that Stafford has regressed as an NFL QB the last 2 seasons. There's no question he has had a key impact on some of his team's losses and, as I said in another post, has kinda turned into Fitzpatrick with less smarts and more arm, throwing picks at inopportune moments.

On the other hand, he was drafted in 2009 into a totally crappy losing team and lost most of his 2nd year (when QB most progress) to a broken arm. The Lions D also regressed from 2011 to 2012, from mediocre 23rd on points to crappy 27th. Point is it simply doesn't pass the sanity check to hang all that on the QB except to say he's not the guy who can totally carry the team, which very few QB are, even the great ones, and even of those, they can't carry it all the way forever (eg Brady this year).