Detroit Defense: New Bills defense

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most coaches have big egos, and prefer bringing along the scheme that worked best for them.

If Schwartz is smart, he will copy Pettine's defense exactly - with a couple tweaks to improve gap control against the run. However, highly doubt this will happen.

That's what has made mike tomlin so successful. He checked his ego at the door when he got the steelers gig, and kept their 3-4, instead of using his scheme (Tampa 2). It helped that he had lebeau there too.

That's what has made mike tomlin so successful. He checked his ego at the door when he got the steelers gig, and kept their 3-4, instead of using his scheme (Tampa 2). It helped that he had lebeau there too.

Tomlin was a defensive HC coming to a team that had an established DC. Schwartz is an established DC coming to team that has an offensive HC. I'm not sure where the egos come in... Marrone surely has ideas of how he wants the defense to be run, but I would expect him to give great latitude to a guy who has more experience on that side of the ball. Tomlin likely had to check his ego a lot more, I would think, but don't know all of what occurred there.

Go back to comments made when the Bill's hired Marrone and Pettine in quick succession. They said they wanted to attack from both sides of the ball and they would hire coaches that leveraged player's abilities and not just focus on systems. We should trust that they are holding to this.

Schwartz is guy known for not blitzing. Maybe he will, but it's not something I'd bank heavily on given his history.

Woah. Woah Woah. Stop the clock.

NoSaint. Of all people... I'm embarrassed. Leaving such an open statement here without real warrant. We were not a blitzing team in 2013. We used Robey to blitz a lot but that isn't saying much. We stuck with our base 4 guys on the line many times and used the MLB or OLBs to read the situation. There is a difference between rushing the QB and blitzing. We rushed a lot. Blitzed a lot less.

I have to think that there is going to only be more questions then answers until the season begins. And a lot of space to fill.

There are typically 2 types of coaches:

1) the one-trick ponies, who are wedded to their scheme; and

2) the guys who have some philosophies, but are flexible and knowledgable to run new or multiple schemes.

the question is whether we know which kind of guy Schwartz is? I am guessing he is the latter, or else he would t have been hired.

this situation is perfect for Schwartz to show what he can do. To move back up in the ladder he will have to show ability to adapt his scheme to the players.

Woah. Woah Woah. Stop the clock.

NoSaint. Of all people... I'm embarrassed. Leaving such an open statement here without real warrant. We were not a blitzing team in 2013. We used Robey to blitz a lot but that isn't saying much. We stuck with our base 4 guys on the line many times and used the MLB or OLBs to read the situation. There is a difference between rushing the QB and blitzing. We rushed a lot. Blitzed a lot less.

I have to think that there is going to only be more questions then answers until the season begins. And a lot of space to fill.

this situation is perfect for Schwartz to show what he can do. To move back up in the ladder he will have to show ability to adapt his scheme to the players.

To be fair I was replying to someone that said "as long as he blitzes...." so I felt it fair to point out that's not his M.O.

We have a strong front 4 and I think he will tell them to get after the qb very aggressively. I don't think he will blitz much (which I think many are expecting - thinking of the Gregg Williams blitz packages since each had Tennessee roots and the word aggressive is being used in so many bios).

Edited by NoSaint

How dare you be rational in a time of crisis. The lack of respect for the falling sky is ridiculous. You should start a thread apologizing to someone.

Just imagine how good Skelton would look lined up at DE, though.

Think about it.

To be fair I was replying to someone that said "as long as he blitzes...." so I felt it fair to point out that's not his M.O.

-_- Well ya shudda reminded him about that.

I know you know football more then most people, shirely, including myself. I was a bit surprised you didn't bring it up.

We need to look at what pieces are available for our defenses. I use the plural because we should not make much to any comment publicly about what our plan is in order to keep a broader net for free agents. On of the players I am going to turn in to a drum is Daryl Smith. The guy went to Baltimore and did not remind you every game that Ray Lewis left. If Baltimore lets him clear FA (likely, they'll franchise Pitta) we need to make a push for him. As a solid ILB we put him to Mike and move Alonso to Will. We have the perfect situation for a 34 hybrid Jack with Hughes.

If we are going to emulate when Detroit has we need a big nasty aggressive NT at some point. I will comb the FA list to find someone who can be what we wanted Troup to be - a space eating force of gravity that made the entire OL revolve around him.

Most coaches have big egos, and prefer bringing along the scheme that worked best for them.

If Schwartz is smart, he will copy Pettine's defense exactly - with a couple tweaks to improve gap control against the run. However, highly doubt this will happen.

I agree on both accounts.

My hope is that Schwartz can run Pettine's D and then perhaps add to it with some improved run defense personnel. Maybe the Bils want to hold onto the staff that Pettine wants to help transition Schwartz?

Succeeding with a new scheme would be a good way for Schwartz to rebuild his reputation. I think his Titans and Lions defenses and his assistant Gunther are relics from the past. Unless you have an unstoppable offense......your defense pretty much needs to be able to confuse the opposing offense nowadays.

Frankly, for all the warm and fuzzies some people have over his hire, his overall defensive performance in Tennessee was not that good. My opinion of him in Tennessee was always that he was a zero impact coach. His coaching made no difference. I really couldn't believe all the hype he got for head coaching jobs when his defenses weren't even good. He's been the Scott Pioli of defensive coaches, IMO. WAY overhyped.

It's a longshot that he would be smart enough to resume Pettine's Raven's style D, but IMO the personnel in place does not fit a straight up 4-3 with wide-nine ends so something is going to give. Mario would be a disaster in that scheme. And the thought of listening to excuses about the defense struggling because they are learning a new system makes me nauseous.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I keep reading 'Hybrid' this and that. SF, Seattle, Denver, etc just line up in a 4-3 and go get it. You can scheme within a Defense to make it more effective not this hybrid crap. Look we have the front 4 to be a damn good 4-3 defense. I say draft another outstanding LB like Kiko, a DB or so and lets run this damn thing.

-_- Well ya shudda reminded him about that.

I know you know football more then most people, shirely, including myself. I was a bit surprised you didn't bring it up.

We need to look at what pieces are available for our defenses. I use the plural because we should not make much to any comment publicly about what our plan is in order to keep a broader net for free agents. On of the players I am going to turn in to a drum is Daryl Smith. The guy went to Baltimore and did not remind you every game that Ray Lewis left. If Baltimore lets him clear FA (likely, they'll franchise Pitta) we need to make a push for him. As a solid ILB we put him to Mike and move Alonso to Will. We have the perfect situation for a 34 hybrid Jack with Hughes.

If we are going to emulate when Detroit has we need a big nasty aggressive NT at some point. I will comb the FA list to find someone who can be what we wanted Troup to be - a space eating force of gravity that made the entire OL revolve around him.

We've both been on the Daryl smith bandwagon before- I remember agreeing on that before he went to Baltimore.

He'd again be a good option, and potentially be a value type signing Whaley spoke of.

We've both been on the Daryl smith bandwagon before- I remember agreeing on that before he went to Baltimore.

He'd again be a good option, and potentially be a value type signing Whaley spoke of.

Do you know much about Al Woods; demoted from starter to 2nd string on the Steelers roster. 307 lbs. listed @ NT/DE. I am going to have to look at him a little bit, read up on him.

I can't recall where I read about Schwartz in that he is very flexible in terms of forming a defense that best suits his players. Rather them making them play a certain style of defense.

So he's an actual coordinator instead of a one trick pony. I hope so. We have had too much of the latter in the past decade and a half. To me a real coordinator would just say "Go out and get me some football players and I'll figure out what to do with them."

Why do people keep talking about it? Because some people have no idea what they are talking about, and post for the sake of bitching and whining.

Why do people keep talking about switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 again when the Bllls played mostly a 4-3 last year to begin with? Defenses play mostly nickel so they are rarely even in their base defense anyway. As long as Swartz is aggressive and blitzes I think things will be fine

They just signed Branch to an extension so he isn't going anywhere.

I don't think Swartz's defenses in Tenn were considered smaller quicker defenses either

Do you know much about Al Woods; demoted from starter to 2nd string on the Steelers roster. 307 lbs. listed @ NT/DE. I am going to have to look at him a little bit, read up on him.

Couldn't tell you a ton. Was an lsu guy, drafted in the 4th round by a saints team that could've used him and didnt make the squad as he was a bit of a train wreck. Bounced around a lot. 5 teams in less than 2 years (if you count the steelers twice as 2 teams) Couldn't tell you anything about his current stint in Pittsburgh, other than not holding on to a job has been the story of his nfl career.

Here's a decent writeup from the tail end of this year: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/11/27/5151156/steelers-depth-chart-nose-tackle-starting-al-woods-steve-mclendon

Edited by NoSaint

Having a tenured DC , and proven no less , returning to his skill set from HC gig has me thinking this guys is going to be extremely driven to succeed . The man knows football up and down backwards and forwards . all the way back to learning under bellichick

And Marrone is no ones fool . This was a surprise to me as i thought Jim was going to take a year off .

But Bills sold him something and he bit . : )

I am very thumbs up on this guy as being a top notch D coordinator again , now for us.

And i absolutely expect him to build on what Pettine left us.

And Folks that aint bad !!

2) the guys who have some philosophies, but are flexible and knowledgable to run new or multiple schemes.

the question is whether we know which kind of guy Schwartz is? I am guessing he is the latter, or else he would t have been hired.

#2 is what makes a decent coach in volleyball, and Belicheat a legend in football.

We have a strong front 4 and I think he will tell them to get after the qb very aggressively. I don't think he will blitz much (which I think many are expecting - thinking of the Gregg Williams blitz packages since each had Tennessee roots and the word aggressive is being used in so many bios).

You were replying to me I believe when I said as long as Swartz is aggressive and blitzes

As an example Robey was very effective on the blitz, I am a big fan of this and would like to see them continue to utilize it

The Bills were not a heavy blitzing team but they did blitz and brought pressure in the right situations and my point was that I would like to see them continue to do so

I really don't care much if we blitz often or not. I just care if we knock the QB on his ass early and often. I think his Tennessee teams were pretty good at that. I have to have faith that the FO's stated goal of scheme flexibility based on talent available will hold true with this hire. He's a proven guy and a mature guy (unlike Hackett) and that's what Doug needs on the D side right now.

Wanny was a one-trick pony. Wedded to the ridiculous notion that you rush four and live and die by your front four. Ridiculously predictable. OCs and QBs nowadays are too smart for that crap.

I do hope Scwartz is like Pettine in that regard.