Detroit Defense: New Bills defense

Michael Purinton@NickelCityBills 2m

Preparation is a common theme when people talk about Schwartz. Can't think of a better trait from a coach

My main concern regarding Schwartz is that Detroit has been one of the least disciplined teams( esp. on defense). If we think our run d is bad now, imagine an undisciplined defense trying to stop the run. That and what 3 or 4 d coordinators in 3-4 years. This part sucks the most.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to keep Pettine's old staff. Schwartz shouldn't rock the boat too much with a new defensive scheme, and hopefully the position coaches can work with him to blend Pettine's old stuff with Schwartz's new stuff.

Do you really think Schwartz would agree to come to Buffalo to run the previous DC's scheme instead of his own? I don't.

If that's what the Bills had in mind they would have promoted from within.

But the Bills got someone with experience and success as a DC. All in all not bad given the circumstances.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I don't understand the idea that we would get rid of Branch... KW, Marcel and Branch make a great DT rotation, imo. Throw in another depth guy, and you have a rotation that will keep our talented interior fresh throughout the game.

I'm not too worried about "4-3", as we ran something similar in 2013, really. Hughes, KW, Dareus and Mario on the line... Kiko and Lawson as LBs, with either Bradham or an extra DB.

http://blogs.buffalo...fensive-scheme/

Pettine made the best use of the personnel on hand to make his scheme fit. I believe Schwartz will do the same.

Gailey wanted to make the defense into a 3-4 when he was first hired, when it wasn't suited for it. That bad memory is still fresh in a lot of people's minds.

This is one of the biggest issues in hiring new HC in my opinion. I know that a HC wants total control but when a certain segment of the team works well the GM should tell a new hire: "Hey, the Defense(or Offense) is the best performing segment of our team, We are keeping all the coaches and the players. Your job is to keep that going and fix the Offense(or Defense)."

The defense was good and just on the field too long in the Jauron era and the special teams was also good. Had we kept Fewell and April just imagine how much better those year would have been.

Edited by cklapka

So we are going change up the #8 overall defense and the first thing Bills fans have had to feel good about in years?

Wow. The Bills sucked at stopping the run last year, they were awful, They were average at 3rd down defense, and were terrible on 3rd and long.

I keep reading 'Hybrid' this and that. SF, Seattle, Denver, etc just line up in a 4-3 and go get it. You can scheme within a Defense to make it more effective not this hybrid crap. Look we have the front 4 to be a damn good 4-3 defense. I say draft another outstanding LB like Kiko, a DB or so and lets run this damn thing.

SF runs a 3-4, seattle runs a 4-3 that acts like a 3-4. Denver also with alot of pressure from their linebackers. Most of the top defense's are hybrids. We have 3 good line man and a hybrid LB/DE in Hughes that so far has looked horrible in a 4-3 and started to show promise in a hybrid D with the colts and had a good year in another hybrid D last year. In the year we ran a 4-3 our pass rush wasnt very good with mario, kyle and dareus. In todays NFL the defense needs to be able to disguise and trick the offense. Its a lot harder to do that when you know what 4 guys are coming and where they are coming from. I have never liked schwartzs defenses with tenn and det. I hope he changes from what he has been doing to accommodate our players strengths and not runba straight up 4-3 or this wide 9 garbage.

Schwartz had 2 really solid years as a DC (2007 and 2008). Prior to that he had 6 years where his defenses were mediocre to bad. From 2001-2006 the Titans defense under Schwartz averaged 23rd in the league in points against and averaged 21st in yards against.

The Titans in Schwartz' final 2 years as DC were 8th and 2nd in points and 5th and 7th in yards respectively. Certainly those two seasons in Tennessee put his name on the map for a HC gig.

As the Lions HC, the Lions average ranked 23rd in points against and 21st in yards against during Schwartz' 5 years with the club. Now, YE OLE, acknowledges that Gunther Cunningham was running the D in Detroit as some have pointed out, but is it fair that we give some responsibility to Schwartz being a defensive mind?

What seems striking is that save for the 2007-2008 seasons, the defensive units Schwartz has been associated with mirror each other in overall rank (23rd in points/21st in yards). That's 11 seasons total vs. 2 seasons where his units were very good.

What do we make of this data, gents? Does it mean anything?

Schwartz had 2 really solid years as a DC (2007 and 2008). Prior to that he had 6 years where his defenses were mediocre to bad. From 2001-2006 the Titans defense under Schwartz averaged 23rd in the league in points against and averaged 21st in yards against.

The Titans in Schwartz' final 2 years as DC were 8th and 2nd in points and 5th and 7th in yards respectively. Certainly those two seasons in Tennessee put his name on the map for a HC gig.

As the Lions HC, the Lions average ranked 23rd in points against and 21st in yards against during Schwartz' 5 years with the club. Now, YE OLE, acknowledges that Gunther Cunningham was running the D in Detroit as some have pointed out, but is it fair that we give some responsibility to Schwartz being a defensive mind?

What seems striking is that save for the 2007-2008 seasons, the defensive units Schwartz has been associated with mirror each other in overall rank (23rd in points/21st in yards). That's 11 seasons total vs. 2 seasons where his units were very good.

Best available DC in late January? We can only deal in reality. The DCs of the top defenses are ... employed. With good teams. They aren't making a lateral move to be the DC in Bflo. Anyone who was a DC of an elite defense in the last 10 years who isn't currently a DC is now a HC. Not taking a step back to be a DC in Bflo. Case in point, the Cowgirls hung onto Monte Kiffin. The Redskins extended Haslett. The Falcons extended Nolan. Three of the worst defenses I have seen in recent years. Guess there isn't a big pool of DCs available who can step in and run a defense with an Offensive HC. If you have a defensive HC, you can bring up a position coach to learn on the job. Then they have no track record to complain about and are all shiny and new. Edited by YoloinOhio

it means we will wait and see - we got the big name, and a guy that seems to have ties to our staff - but we dont yet know if he will be the best.

im hoping that it doesnt play out like some of last years crossman thread where people celebrated that we were able to steal a coach from another staff and pointed to his 2 good years on his resume. i dont think itll be that disastrous, but the kool aid does run freely in jan/feb and it makes it tough to gauge whats reasonable

it means we will wait and see - we got the big name, and a guy that seems to have ties to our staff - but we dont yet know if he will be the best.

im hoping that it doesnt play out like some of last years crossman thread where people celebrated that we were able to steal a coach from another staff and pointed to his 2 good years on his resume. i dont think itll be that disastrous, but the kool aid does run freely in jan/feb and it makes it tough to gauge whats reasonable

No Saint, my good friend, you are spot on per usual! Schwartz has done something right to have been continuously employed as a DC and HC for the past 13 seasons. But at the same time when you break down the track record, he seemingly has not consistently led good defensive units. In fact, you could argue the opposite.

In all fairness, YE OLE's first pick was Wade (whether that was doable or not for reasons we've all hashed out, who knows) and Schwartz would've been the next best option. On the surface there's a lot to like about the hire. He was certainly one of the biggest names out there, and many of the good folks here on the board were like "YE OLE! This is a good hire! He had real top notch defenses in Tennessee! Top 10 every year!"

It was only when YE OLE went to look this up as a point of fact, that it appears Schwartz has had very few top 10 defensive units, and many more bottom 10 defensive units.

SF runs a 3-4, seattle runs a 4-3 that acts like a 3-4. Denver also with alot of pressure from their linebackers. Most of the top defense's are hybrids. We have 3 good line man and a hybrid LB/DE in Hughes that so far has looked horrible in a 4-3 and started to show promise in a hybrid D with the colts and had a good year in another hybrid D last year. In the year we ran a 4-3 our pass rush wasnt very good with mario, kyle and dareus. In todays NFL the defense needs to be able to disguise and trick the offense. Its a lot harder to do that when you know what 4 guys are coming and where they are coming from. I have never liked schwartzs defenses with tenn and det. I hope he changes from what he has been doing to accommodate our players strengths and not runba straight up 4-3 or this wide 9 garbage.

I feel the same way, hopefully he does well here.