Looking for some new truck info

mrags

Hey guys. Looking for help, advice, information that might help with my search. I'm not 100% positive that I'm going to buy/lease a new truck but I'm seriously considering it. I currently really like a few vehicles and wondered what everyone's thoughts in them.

Ford F150 FX4

Dodge Ram

Chevy Silverado

GMC Sierra

I'm adamant about having a full center console with bucket seats (I hate bench seats). And it's got to have 4 wheel drive. Wondering about fuel economy. Deals on buys and deals on leases. Past experiences, etc...

Also, I really like both the Chevy and the GMC. Wondering what the difference is between the 2.

Thanks in advance for all the insight.

Edited by mrags

I'd love to help you out mrags but after owning Chevy trucks for awhile I switched to a Toyota Tundra in 2009. Just a bunch of dumb things that never worked right or broke on the Chevys. I like the Tundra a lot so can't give any good insight on the new Chevy or GMC trucks. If you buy the 6 cyl. models you should be able to get 18/19 mpg but unsure if the V6 comes in 4WD...I think it does.

Yeah. Thanks Fergy. It does come in 4WD with a V6 but I'm more interested in the 8 myself. One thing I learned a long time ago from someone is 2 things when you buy them, always buy a model better than what you think you need. Trucks and boats. That way, down the road, you'll always be prepared for future changes in your life.

I love the look of the Tundras on the outside. Can't stand their interiors. Couldn't tell you how much I hate the interiors. They look and feel very cheap to me. Like I'm going to break the plastic or something.

I've always had an issue with every GM I've ever owned but I know that some of that is my fault. Maybe now, I'm more responsible and better with taking care of my vehicles now than I was before.

Personally, I like the FX4s more than any of them but they are also the most expensive and I think the deals on them are much less than the deals on the Chevys and GMCs. Haven't looked at the Rams much but I've always heard bad things about their body work and paint work.

I'm not a fan of the Chevys either.....I have a 14 f150 extended cab/bed.

Very comfortable setup for long rides.

Gas mileage isn't that great but everything else is solid. Close to 25k on odometer.

just when I was typing about how much I love the Fords.

I've heard some things like the Sierra has a quieter cabin due to some sound absorbing technology that the Silverado doesn't have. I'm sure if that's true, there's more differences. Only went to look at the Sierra tonight. Haven't really looked at the Chevy yet. I'm sure each place will tell me there's things in their brand that the other doesn't have. Which is why I'm asking here. Wondering if anyone has a background working with them or anything like that.

This summer, my Father bought a 2014 Silverado. He absolutely loves it, and being a retired construction worker, he has driven many different makes/models over the past 30+ years. I've never owned a truck, but I really enjoy driving his Silverado. Handles really smooth, is comfortable, and has loads of power. Also, I was surprised to learn how good the fuel economy was. My 09 Impreza really does not get much better miles/gallon with a much smaller engine. Although, my Impreza is a gas guzzler compared to most comparable sedans. Papa Hammersticks says go with the Chevy.

I've heard some things like the Sierra has a quieter cabin due to some sound absorbing technology that the Silverado doesn't have. I'm sure if that's true, there's more differences. Only went to look at the Sierra tonight. Haven't really looked at the Chevy yet. I'm sure each place will tell me there's things in their brand that the other doesn't have. Which is why I'm asking here. Wondering if anyone has a background working with them or anything like that.

One other thing mrags - my father in law drives a Sierra (older model 2004 or so) but the reason he chose it is because of the "gear ratio" (ability to utilize lower gears for towing and results in more towing power) and "turn radius" (with longer bed trucks you want to be able to make a tight turn for towing, pulling , backing). If you check those two features and compare them you may see the GMC is slightly better...not sure on newer models - they may be almost identical.

Edited by BringBackFergy

I have an 03 avalanche, with 101000 miles. No major issues but the A/c has stopped working and i have to do some tricks to make the heat work. Also I only have 2 working stereo speakers and some of the door pieces came apart and the solution by the garage was to dry wall screw them back in. Also like most of them i see my gas cap door corroded so now i have one of those flashy plastic replacements!

All minor stuff, but runs good.

The difference between GMC and Chevy trucks is one is touted as more commercial (GMC). I like the looks of the GMC better, but I think because it is a more limited line the price is more stiffer, new and used!

I have a 06 F150 and have only had to do oil and tires over the 65K miles. Runs great, I like the styling and I have done 3 kids back and forth to college, a kitchen rebuild/tear out, plus a Sandy storm renovation where I was hauling all of the debris out and re-did 3 rooms. Great for hauling. I suggest the tonnaue cover for the back if you don't use a cap.

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it keep them coming. I have looked at the F1 50 Atlas. I am in absolute love with that truck. However the big issue is that it will be a first model year and I'm a little worried about kinks. Because of that, it makes me wait 2 years, not one. Plus I haven't even seen it yet in person (but will be at the Buffalo Auto Show). The aluminum to save gas milage and weight is awesome, until you hear Chevy peiple talk about how it will have foundation issues because of it.

All in all I love that truck though I'm just not sure I can wait. The issue is right now my car is going to need at minimum $1000 worth of work I'm at the point where I'm debating on paying to fix my car or using that money for a down payment. If I fixed my car and nothing else went wrong with it for another 8+ months I'd be okay. But if I spend the thousand dollars now and then next week I have another issue now I am in deeper crap. So because of that I am currently looking to see what deals might be out there and which Trucks I am interested in.

Can you wait a year? If so, you might as well consider the 2015 F150, which will have an aluminum body, which should save on gas mileage. It was the talk of the Detroit Auto Show a couple weeks ago.

Gonna cost about 8k more than 2014 comparable ?

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it keep them coming. I have looked at the F1 50 Atlas. I am in absolute love with that truck. However the big issue is that it will be a first model year and I'm a little worried about kinks. Because of that, it makes me wait 2 years, not one. Plus I haven't even seen it yet in person (but will be at the Buffalo Auto Show). The aluminum to save gas milage and weight is awesome, until you hear Chevy peiple talk about how it will have foundation issues because of it.

All in all I love that truck though I'm just not sure I can wait. The issue is right now my car is going to need at minimum $1000 worth of work I'm at the point where I'm debating on paying to fix my car or using that money for a down payment. If I fixed my car and nothing else went wrong with it for another 8+ months I'd be okay. But if I spend the thousand dollars now and then next week I have another issue now I am in deeper crap. So because of that I am currently looking to see what deals might be out there and which Trucks I am interested in.

If you have any family member that worked for ford they give you this A plan pricing good for 3-5k off reg price.

Don't know anyone that works at ford. The salesmen at the GMC dealer told me I can use a friends GM discount if I know anyone. Said they give out 12 a year to friends. I know a few people at GM but not sure if they would give me their discount.

Edited by mrags

I haven't driven a new truck in a few years but I've had my Silverado for 15 years and a couple hundred thousand miles. It still looks awesome and drives great. I do wash it every week and have done all the scheduled maintenance. It's a terrific vehicle and the only problem I've ever had with it is the window motor burned out because I wouldn't quick !@#$ing with it when the window was frozen shut. GM replaced it under warranty and I learned my lesson. :D

GMC is the more expensive, slightly nicer version of the Silverado. I use my truck as a truck, so that didn't appeal to me at the time. I'd probably buy the GMC if I were in the market for a new truck but the only way I'm getting rid of this truck is if it gets totaled. If the motor blows I'll put another one in it. I can't see spending $40k to replace it when it's still in such amazing shape.

All I can tell you is, dont take his advice just because jboyst62 is a farmer.

I asked him about trucks one time, and he gave me a lot of information, even offered to sell me one "slightly used". Then I saw what he actually drives around on a daily basis...

http://i.imgur.com/6IXuPOj.jpg

just now seeing this. Yeah. It was a B word to get it titled. And the custom plates, "bull catcher" cause a lot of looks.

Can't help you w/the truck... But as you have seen, we do get the Chevy 2500HD @ work. Seems nice outside of the finicky Western plow!

Anyway... Get this, big wig shows up @ work and is driving a gov't car... GSA vehicle. Guess what kind? A HYUNDAI! LoL... WTF? I think almost everybody gave him guff about it. How can one not! Yeah, that creates a nice image when one is cruising down the highway, GSA plates, South Korean vehicle. :wallbash: I know, I know... But still. What do I know, I am not executive tier, just a wage grade (not GS) employee.

Never heard anything bad about tundra. Everyone I know who has one loves one.

Also dont know as many people we with Nissan titan but also never heard anything bad.

Best advice I have is whatever you get....get fully locking differential.

Test drive them all and put the sales guys against each other see who gives you the best deal on what you want

Thanks Kool Aid.

Love the look of the Tundra on the outside. The inside center console and dash reminds me of a cheap bare bones 1988 Carolla with cheap plasticky interior.

The interior of the Titan is just about the same. Very cheap and plasticky. The interior door panels look like you could puncture them with a pencil.

Sorry to offend anyone with any of these vehicles but that's the way I feel about them.

I think I've figured out I like the Sierra the most. Cheaper than the Ford and better than the Ram (and I've for another long story about the Dodge that I'll save for later). Either way, my cousin works for a large dealership that can sell Ford, Chevy, and GMC so of the 3, I won't have to make them fight, just have her figure out the best deals and rebates on each one.

Thanks Kool Aid.

Love the look of the Tundra on the outside. The inside center console and dash reminds me of a cheap bare bones 1988 Carolla with cheap plasticky interior.

The interior of the Titan is just about the same. Very cheap and plasticky. The interior door panels look like you could puncture them with a pencil.

Sorry to offend anyone with any of these vehicles but that's the way I feel about them.

I think I've figured out I like the Sierra the most. Cheaper than the Ford and better than the Ram (and I've for another long story about the Dodge that I'll save for later). Either way, my cousin works for a large dealership that can sell Ford, Chevy, and GMC so of the 3, I won't have to make them fight, just have her figure out the best deals and rebates on each one.

No problem wish you the best in your search. But I stand by my original advice. ...whatever you choose, get a fully locking differential! It will make your truck significantly more capable and bad ass.

No problem wish you the best in your search. But I stand by my original advice. ...whatever you choose, get a fully locking differential! It will make your truck significantly more capable and bad ass.

True. Yet, he can get all kinds of aftermarket lockers for BOTH axles if he wants. I know w/the Jeep they sell all kinds, air, cable, electric actuated etc... I think the Rubicon comes w/front and rear electric lockers. But gotta be careful to use them in the right situation or risk snapping an axle. The limited slip systems will handle most situations. OEM installed, may cost him more of a premium that an aftermarket install and may not be as good. Something to think about.

itll be black most likely. And I like the ford a lot but I dont need a truck to show off my sexiness. Gugny and Beerball can vouch for that. Besides, my fiancé already says in the sexiest man alive. She told me so.

As it is now, I must have won my fiancé over with my current car.

itll be black most likely. And I like the ford a lot but I dont need a truck to show off my sexiness. Gugny and Beerball can vouch for that. Besides, my fiancé already says in the sexiest man alive. She told me so.

As it is now, I must have won my fiancé over with my current car.

Tis true. His ability to pull pork, along with his innate sexiness, actually caused me to eat coleslaw for the first time in my life.

Tis true. His ability to pull pork, along with his innate sexiness, actually caused me to eat coleslaw for the first time in my life.

and He loved it.

Seriously though, are you stalking me? I posted this about 2 minutes ago and your already responding.

Weirdo...

and He loved it.

Seriously though, are you stalking me? I posted this about 2 minutes ago and your already responding.

Weirdo...

Ha!! I haven't been on all day. Coincidence, I swear!! I noticed the time and nearly held off just for this reason.

Oh ... Move a little to the left. The lamp is blocking my view. And use a coaster for Christ's sake.

Ha!! I haven't been on all day. Coincidence, I swear!! I noticed the time and nearly held off just for this reason.

Oh ... Move a little to the left. The lamp is blocking my view. And use a coaster for Christ's sake.

lol