Looking for some new truck info

mrags

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. Update in this. New trucks are just way too damn much for me right now. Started looking at used. Ended up finding:

2011 Chevy Acalanche LT

With leather heated seats, tow package, moonroof, step bars, remote start, and color matched plastics. 39k miles. They were asking 30,900.

Buyout on my Mercedes is 5,745. They offered to get me in the 2s for financing and 425 over 75 months. After paying off my car and using 1,000 down Payment.

What you guys think about this? Originally they came at me with 499/mo but I said no. They barely let me leave the store. Said I'd call them tomorrow to let them know.

They offer a 4yr, 48k mile extended bumper to bumper for 2,400. I thought about telling them to throw that in and it's a deal. What you guys think?

Thanks

Hey guys. Update in this. New trucks are just way too damn much for me right now. Started looking at used. Ended up finding:

2011 Chevy Acalanche LT

With leather heated seats, tow package, moonroof, step bars, remote start, and color matched plastics. 39k miles. They were asking 30,900.

Buyout on my Mercedes is 5,745. They offered to get me in the 2s for financing and 425 over 75 months. After paying off my car and using 1,000 down Payment.

What you guys think about this? Originally they came at me with 499/mo but I said no. They barely let me leave the store. Said I'd call them tomorrow to let them know.

They offer a 4yr, 48k mile extended bumper to bumper for 2,400. I thought about telling them to throw that in and it's a deal. What you guys think?

Thanks

The only thing that matters is the price of the car. What's the price of the car? You negotiate that and only that until it's settled.

I don't think I'd finance a used vehicle for 75 months unless I was planning on keeping it that long. You're going to spend a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time upside down.

Ok, I am not an accountant, but with my limited mathematical abilities I did a few quick calculations:

Assuming you get a 4% rate (i'm guessing it would be higher)

And they price it around 25K

You pay 6250 in interest for a loan on the 25K

Total payments 75 payments at 425 per month = 31,875

This does not include whatever is going on with the Mercedes.

My humble suggestion, get out of the dealership and get yourself a loan through a bank/credit union. Then go and negotiate the deal on a truck you like. They are making money on the car as well as on the financing, they will work those numbers any way they can yo get you to bite on the car and financing.

Never tell a car salesman what you are looking to pay per month. Just stick to negotiate the price of vehicle as low as possible. Then after that negotiate your trade in. For finances you may have Better luck to secure a loan on your own with a credit union for s very low rate. I refinanced my vehicle (was only 3months old at the time ) with a credit union to 1.75% which saved me money

When you have negotiated your best possible deal and run the monthly payment numbers either you can swing it in your budget or not. Maybe they make one last ditch effort to sweeten the pot

I got 1.81 % rate on my truck. I would go new truck. Your talking a 4 year old truck.

between incentives and good financing a new vehicle usually ends up a better deal. At least with new if you have to take s loan for 66-72 months you will be the only owner snd will maintain it properly snd being new will have factory warranty and last longer. So longer financing usually works out ok with a new vehicle compared to used with like 60 months

Something does not seem right about all of that. When I found my truck I searched and searched. There is no reason that time should be rushed when finding the right vehicle because it is a major investment. That you are already in the pitch with month-to-month payment plan on the table it makes it more difficult. If you know Y and Z but do not know X what does it matter how low Y or Z are - or...

If you go in to this knowing you're going to pay $400/month why not talk them down to the lowest price you can on the vehicle then make them work to adjust the monthly payments? If they jack it up $1,600 because of a month-to-month payment plan you'll end up paying 4 extra months and whatever interest becomes.

I'm glad I bought my truck with cash.

Ok, I am not an accountant, but with my limited mathematical abilities I did a few quick calculations:

Assuming you get a 4% rate (i'm guessing it would be higher)

And they price it around 25K

You pay 6250 in interest for a loan on the 25K

Total payments 75 payments at 425 per month = 31,875

This does not include whatever is going on with the Mercedes.

My humble suggestion, get out of the dealership and get yourself a loan through a bank/credit union. Then go and negotiate the deal on a truck you like. They are making money on the car as well as on the financing, they will work those numbers any way they can yo get you to bite on the car and financing.

Thanks for doing the math, saved me from doing it. It makes it a little more clear.

I would have ended up with a remainder and the train getting to the station at 5:16 central time.

Tell them you know microscopes. The biggest Van guy in town. Should get that 30k down to 26k in no time.

I'd haggle a bit more and see if they can come down.

i laughed audibly.

Thanks for all the help guys.

So a little bit of info here. The procing at 499/mo was at 5% interest. When I took the truck back this morning they wondered what they could do to sweeten the pot. I told then 500/mo was just way too much. I said if 500 was uncomfortable for me, then 450 ain't going to be any better (what's 50 bucks really?). They took a gander at me, said they could get me locked in, in the 2-3% range for the truck and offered me $1,300 over payoff amount on my trade in to get me to 425/mo. I did the math online last night to see what the difference between 5% and 2.1% (a rate that I can achieve through a credit union that I am available to join) and it was only saving me $40/mo. Which would have come down to 460. So they're eating more to get me to that 425 by offering extra In my trade to get me there.

I know you should always negotiate the price of the vehicle first and then go from there. A few things... My cousin who works for Chevy Basil has informed me that prices on the Internet now days are generally as low as they offer. Internet procing is always lower than what vehicles are listed for out on the lot. With that said, the $30,900 for the truck is $3k below suggested retail. The sales manager I formed me they are only making 700 off the sale of the truck (not sure if I believe that, but either way, according to NADA.com, the suggested retail is 33-34k).

Another thing is that I am in need of a vehicle. My Mercedes has 127k miles on her. New calipers, pads and rotors need to be replaced in the front. New fuel pump. The EBrake needs to be looked at. Door handles and small things are starting to brake. And since the weather has been bitter cold, she is having troubles turning over of she's been sitting for more than 5-6 hours (which is not the battery because I already replaced that).

So it's spend about $1,000 (I get parts at cost and a buddy installs for a case of beer) in repairs that are 100% needed right now, or use that for a down pmnt on this truck.

Not sure if that paints the picture a little more for you guys.

I love the truck and I already know that a new Sierra or Ford F150 (a model that I'd actually be happy with anyway) will run me close to 600/mo. I've also already had my car appraised at Basil and they offered me 5k for it as opposed to the 7k that Transitowne offered me.

Just seems like a no brainer that I'm getting an additional 2k for my car that honestly won't sell for what I owe on it.

When the person traded in the avalanche more than likely they only gave him 25-27 for it.

What matters is - if you are happy with the numbers then pull the trigger and enjoy the truck.

yeah. Thanks Mead.

It I get this thing today, pulled pork for everybody on opening day is on me.

Well I can agree somewhat the internet has changed the car market on used cars as you no longer have to drive to different lots looking at specs. Though I don't believe that is their best price, it is low but not their lowest. I have always gotten them to take less. I drive an 03 Avalanche and bout it in 07 for 17250. Not as loaded as the one you are looking at and more miles. but i also bought at the height of the Gas prices which helped a gas guzzler like that. ALso remember you are now gonna be spending $100 + to fill the thing. So don't over extend yourself. They are nice trucks and because they are discountinuing it next year not sure that makes htem more valuable or not?

Good luck mrags on getting the financing. I know how attached we can get to buying things.

People hate to be sold things, but damn we love to buy things no?

I know this ship has sailed, but if it were me, I would spend the money and get the Benz fixed. I am assuming it is paid off. So lets double repair bill to $2k.That is 4 months payment on the new truck. And shoot, with only 120K miles should have several more years in her(depends on condition i guess)

I tend to buy used cars, usually around 2 years old coming off programs, and keep them forever . I currently drive a 2007 Yukon with 165K miles. She takes about $700 a year to maintain/ repair..i look it it as having one payment a year vs 11.

Anyways, thats the old man in me...I still think $20K is expensive for a car LOL

Good luck mrags on getting the financing. I know how attached we can get to buying things.

People hate to be sold things, but damn we love to buy things no?

I know this ship has sailed, but if it were me, I would spend the money and get the Benz fixed. I am assuming it is paid off. So lets double repair bill to $2k.That is 4 months payment on the new truck. And shoot, with only 120K miles should have several more years in her(depends on condition i guess)

I tend to buy used cars, usually around 2 years old coming off programs, and keep them forever . I currently drive a 2007 Yukon with 165K miles. She takes about $700 a year to maintain/ repair..i look it it as having one payment a year vs 11.

Anyways, thats the old man in me...I still think $20K is expensive for a car LOL

thanks bud.

My Benz is not paid off. I owe almost 2 more years of Payments on her. 260/mo until the balance of 5,747 is paid off.

In top of that, my repair costs the last year and a half have averaged our to about 2k a year. That includes fresh tires every single winter (because my tires are staggered and I cannot rotate them, and the amount of miles I drive a year, around 18,000).

The Basil dealership offered me 5k for a trade in on my car. Transitowne has offered me 7,100. Not sure I can even think about a better deal than that. Getting rid of my payment completely and getting rid of my repair costs and tire costs which come out to an average of 166.00/month in addition to my monthly payment.

Well, new update guys. Decided not to get the truck. All the extra hoops to jump through today to get me the right interest rate got me thinking. Gonna save up for a year and put down a much bigger chunk of money for essentially the same truck a year from now and pay a third or more less than what this one would come out to a month.

Everyone wish me good luck with getting my Benz fixed and hopefully she's stopped hemmoraging repairs after this for a while.

Opening day Pulled Pork is still on me.

Sorry to hear you not getting the truck ! But here is to hoping the Benz holds out for 5 more years! Like I said, become a stodgy old man like me and let your kids be embarrassed by your cars... Sign of aging well!

Fascinating process to me , buying cars My dad was a used car salesman from the time I was born. The hours and life selling cars never appealed to me, but I am in sales now as well. Interesting thing to get into a group and people and ask " who thinks they got a good deal on their car purchase".

100% of hands go up 100% of the time., mine included. But damn , there be a lot of people and bills to pay at a car dealership , and the owners all make a ton of money, so they making lots of money somewhere. And yes, I have bought 100% of my cats from dealerships.

Like I said, just a very unique industry.

Edited by plenzmd1

Right a out that Plez. If you asked 100 people if they got a great deal, I wouldn't say 100% would say yes but prolly above 95%. I say this cause years ago I got raped on a trade when I turned in my Mustang for an Oldsmobile Alero. I know, stupid right. Well, my winter truck was basically robbed of everything in the parking lot downtown where I kept it. And winter was already here and going from a RWD Mustang to a FWD seemed like a necessity at the time.

Wish I never made that trade. Less than 6 months later I moved to Vegas and I wish I had my Convertible Mustang there. But other than that time, I've always felt I made out on the deal. Your right though, dealerships don't get rich from giving cars away.

Thanks for the wishes in the Benz. Hopefully 1-1/2 years is all she wrote with her. Maybe I keep her after she's paid off instead of reading her in. Who knows. A 6 speed manual sport sedan is a fun drive in the summer.

Well, new update guys. Decided not to get the truck. . . .

I realize that it may no longer matter to you, but I happened to see a news report today that both Ford and GM are going to be offering large incentives on new pickup trucks - - seems dealer inventory is high because unusually harsh winter weather affected sales for several months in a row. Here's a news blurb about it - - I'm sure you could get more details with a little google effort:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2014/02/ford-gm-offer-big-incentives-after-flat-sales/

Sorry to be the voice of temptation, but thought you'd want to know.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

You jerk. lol.

Would love to, but I'm thinking that I'm going to save my money over the course of the next year then out like 10k down on whatever I decide I want. It'll be a year long search and information hunt in what I want.

Damn, this thread jinxed me! $1600 going into the Yukon today between tires, brakes, few belts, battery, oil change. Oh well, like I said, better than a car payment for the next three years

lol. But if your in my situation, I'm not only paying for the repairs, I still have a payment too. Sorry to jinx ya. Hopefully the work fixes her like new. I put in the final parts of my repairs tomorrow. Hopefully it fixes all my issues.

lol. But if your in my situation, I'm not only paying for the repairs, I still have a payment too. Sorry to jinx ya. Hopefully the work fixes her like new. I put in the final parts of my repairs tomorrow. Hopefully it fixes all my issues.

friggen tires are $1000..but i uograded last time to the top end Michelins and boy what a difference that made over the original tires. Worth the extra $400

• 1 month later...

I realize that it may no longer matter to you, but I happened to see a news report today that both Ford and GM are going to be offering large incentives on new pickup trucks - - seems dealer inventory is high because unusually harsh winter weather affected sales for several months in a row. Here's a news blurb about it - - I'm sure you could get more details with a little google effort:

http://abcnews.go.co...ter-flat-sales/

Sorry to be the voice of temptation, but thought you'd want to know.

Man, you weren't kidding about this. While I've never been a truck person, I sat in the 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 on the showroom floor while my car was in for some small recall thing, The fleet manager took my car in at the end of the lease last week and asked what I planned on getting. The GM of a nearby Toyota dealer attends our church and got us an 'at cost' deal on my wife's Highlander so I told him I was probably going to Toyota...but gee that 1500 sure was nice.

Between rebates and re-leasing incentives, it was impossible not to take the truck out. Turns out once you'reinside, it's not a truck. It's a big ass car with an open trunk. It's been years since I've driven off the lot and felt like I got a tremendous value.

Man, you weren't kidding about this. While I've never been a truck person, I sat in the 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 on the showroom floor while my car was in for some small recall thing, The fleet manager took my car in at the end of the lease last week and asked what I planned on getting. The GM of a nearby Toyota dealer attends our church and got us an 'at cost' deal on my wife's Highlander so I told him I was probably going to Toyota...but gee that 1500 sure was nice.

Between rebates and re-leasing incentives, it was impossible not to take the truck out. Turns out once you'reinside, it's not a truck. It's a big ass car with an open trunk. It's been years since I've driven off the lot and felt like I got a tremendous value.

Congrats on the new truck! Funny, rental place yesterday was out of midsize, so they gave me a super nice F-150, with the whole second row. Have to say, i did enjoy driving that rig!

As I mentioned earlier, somehow these guys make every single buyer think we got the deal of a lifetime, it is a special gift they have. I know every time i have bought a car, i got the deal of a lifetime LOL

Congrats on the new truck! Funny, rental place yesterday was out of midsize, so they gave me a super nice F-150, with the whole second row. Have to say, i did enjoy driving that rig!

As I mentioned earlier, somehow these guys make every single buyer think we got the deal of a lifetime, it is a special gift they have. I know every time i have bought a car, i got the deal of a lifetime LOL

The guy brought the paperwork and truck to my house because I was on calls most of the day, and as I was looking over the truck he started explaining how he had to eat all these costs because the deal he made two days earlier was no longer available, but he wanted to keep his commitment to me, etc. I told him that story apparently comes standard with every car I've leased in the past 15 years.

But I'm a lease guy and turn my vehicle over every three years, and there's no question I got a great deal on this, especially after I got him to throw in 3 years of service (because all Toyotas come with 2-years service). The truck was over $5K more than my Charger, and in addition to absolutely nothing out of my pocket, my lease payment fell $170/month.

. I told him that story apparently comes standard with every car I've leased in the past 15 years.

But I'm a lease guy and turn my vehicle over every three years, and there's no question I got a great deal on this, especially after I got him to throw in 3 years of service (because all Toyotas come with 2-years service). The truck was over $5K more than my Charger, and in addition to absolutely nothing out of my pocket, my lease payment fell $170/month.

That first line had me laughing! The deal sounds awesome..congrats!

When my Yukon is dead and gone, i might look at a truck as well..but thats for another 4 or five years(as i knock on my head)