What Holes Does This Team Have?

Rob's House

Well, like you said, there's the concept of a "hole" and the concept of an "upgradeable position".

The goal should always be to upgrade when possible, given the limitations of the salary cap. I agree with you when you say the only real hole on offense is LG. But I think most people can see that an upgrade would be warranted at RG, RT, TE, WR, and QB. Not that I think we need, or should get, an upgrade at each of those, however.

I'm one who thinks that improved QB play will help cover up the holes and upgradeable positions more efficiently than finding new players. Better QB play will make everybody look better. I'm putting my hopes on EJ showing improvement in year 2. If that's the case, then on offense I think the main *need* is for an upgrade at LG. I think the outcomes would be significantly better with improved QB play and a better player at LG. The rest of those positions -- RG, RT, TE, WR -- probably give you less bang for the buck, given who we currently have there.

And yes, we definitely need an upgrade to the Bradham/Moats position. Get a stud LB in the middle and move Kiko outside, and now you're talking. As long as we keep Byrd.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One I haven't seen yet in this thread is running back. The Bills will need a replacement for FredEx at some point. It would be smart to get a good one before they are desperate for one. Not exactly a hole yet, but it is coming.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Can we not escape this in any thread? How is it possible to know that Manuel is NOT the answer after 10 starts as a rookie, after having missed valuable preseason experience and in season practice time - and yet he still threw more TDs than INTS to a predominantly very young receiving crew?

Everyone quotes stats to justify him. Watch the game, he doesn't have IT

One I haven't seen yet in this thread is running back. The Bills will need a replacement for FredEx at some point. It would be smart to get a good one before they are desperate for one. Not exactly a hole yet, but it is coming.

Perhaps that's because it's the position with the second most star power and depth on the team after DT. Not that a back shouldn't be on our radar in the late rounds, but the thread was about holes.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

1. QB (EJ's not the guy, Bills don't see it that way though), 2. OG (LG was a mess, Urbik's play at RG regressed this season), 3. LB (Hughes and Mario our pass rushers, we need another competent LB to pair with Alonso), 4. TE (haven't had an above average TE since when?), 5. WR (we are a team with a bunch of #2 and #3's, no true #1 WR since Eric Moulds left, 5. RB (I really like Freddy J, but he's getting older, not a fan of Spillers skill set and way too many runs for 0 and negative yards. Kills a lot of drives with those runs, 6. DT (specifically a run stuffing D, I know Branch, Dareus and K. Williams make a nice trio on paper, but we gave up way too many yards rushing up the middle)

My guess is that they put several situational play packages in for him, but that it never became appropriate to use them.

Is that sarcasm?

He was with the team long enough to get on the field and see what he could do as the Bills should hv been in pure evaluation mode at that point

Edited by Max997

LG, RT, TE (depending on Moeaki), LB, S (depending on Byrd), QB (depending on EJ)

This!

Although, I think EJ will be fine next season as he had no history of injury in college as he only missed one game his final two years.

LG-RT-RG all need to be upgraded, IMO

Then a huge need is to find a way to stop the run because 28th with all that talent on defense just won't do. Is it because the DT's are penetrating rather then run stuffing or do they need a stud at MLBer and move Kiko outside?

The Bills have drafted 3 WR's in the first three* rounds the last two years in Robert Woods in the second, Marquise Goodwin in the third last year, TJ Graham in the third in 2012. The Bills have drafted WR's with that #1 pick and brought in TO, I still didn't see the playoffs.

This Bills have a glass QB in Kevin Kolb and perhaps another in EJ, along with raw players in Thad Lewis & Jeff Tuel. The one thing I'd like to see is that Line finally upgraded across the board.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I still think we need an upgrade at corner in place of McKelvin. He gets beat on too much of a regular basis.

What? He was their best CB last year

Gilmore was the one that was beat every game but he isn't going anywhere

Is that sarcasm?

He was with the team long enough to get on the field and see what he could do as the Bills should hv been in pure evaluation mode at that point

He wasn't with the team long enough to learn the offense, and he was coming off an injury.

Given that he didn't play, yet was active, my suggestion is the only logical reason I can conceive of.

Check post number 7. I think we may agree on something.

LB LG RG and RT are all legit holes in my opinion

WR, TE, and DE opposite Mario need upgrades as well

Many people here have said RG is a need. Urbik deserves a bit more love...he's a young guy who's been more-than-solid on the line, and every grading I've seen of him has been positive. Glenn, Wood, and Urbik are solid IMO...but, yes, LG & RT could definitely use replacing. As unexciting as it may be, would love if Matthews or Robinson fell to Bills in 1st and Richardson in 2nd.

Many people here have said RG is a need. Urbik deserves a bit more love...he's a young guy who's been more-than-solid on the line, and every grading I've seen of him has been positive. Glenn, Wood, and Urbik are solid IMO...but, yes, LG & RT could definitely use replacing. As unexciting as it may be, would love if Matthews or Robinson fell to Bills in 1st and Richardson in 2nd.

Three of the Bills O linemen graded in the red against the Patriots in week 17. Legursky (-2.1) Urbik (-2.1) Pears (-2.5). Now I think Urbik may have been dealing with an injury of some sort this year, and he has to keep playing as the Bills have no decent depth at OG behind him.

While Urbik could still develop into a better player with better coaching and with an upgrade at RT alongside him. There is a lot to be said for continuity should the Bills go RT & LG with some of the first three picks in this upcoming draft.

While contrary to popular opinion that I don't like the guy. Urbik has done an adequate job at RG, considering he plays a bit tall, and doesn't always get low enough. Then if you are building a playoff team and want the O line to dominate...then he isn't the guy, as he has had many bad games recently. Solid to a degree, just not a pro bowler. I like road graders at OG, and players who are mean, maulers types that can dominate in every facet.