Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

I don't understand why their looking for a defensive minded HC. Their defense is so far along in terms of talent, wouldn't it make more sense to bring in a coach who'll do more for the offensive side of the ball? Any joe schmoe can coach that defense and make it top 15, but it's going to take a lot of coaching to take this offense with a rookie QB and have it been even with the D.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why their looking for a defensive minded HC. Their defense is so far along in terms of talent, wouldn't it make more sense to bring in a coach who'll do more for the offensive side of the ball? Any joe schmoe can coach that defense and make it top 15, but it's going to take a lot of coaching to take this offense with a rookie QB and have it been even with the D.

They're looking for anybody with a pulse.

It would be SO like Cleveland to settle for Paul Brown when Vince Lombardi is there for the taking.

I know !

Or is it Guy Lombardi ? Cleveland is interviewing anyone it seems .

I have had my eyes on that Paul Brown for awhile and think he has the stuff. Hope we can get him as a position coach at least.

Gotta give a hard worker an opportunity i always say.

I always say that, RTDB

Evidently there have been undisclosed interviews:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Thoughts-on-Browns%E2%80%99-head-coach-search/eabc4b7b-542e-48af-8a1f-e802a08d39b7

Also:

AdamSchefter6:49pm via UberSocial for BlackBerry

Cleveland's HC search down to two finalists who will meet with Browns' brass Thursday, per league sources. Bills DC Mike Pettine a favorite

Evidently there have been undisclosed interviews:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Thoughts-on-Browns%E2%80%99-head-coach-search/eabc4b7b-542e-48af-8a1f-e802a08d39b7

Also:

AdamSchefter6:49pm via UberSocial for BlackBerry

Cleveland's HC search down to two finalists who will meet with Browns' brass Thursday, per league sources. Bills DC Mike Pettine a favorite

He hasn't even earned "the" favorite? Just "a" favorite, in a field of 2?

I don't believe that at all. Dave Wannstedt & George Edwards both look like Joe Schmoes to me, and they both fell on their faces.

The HC just has to know the difference between a good coordinator, and a bad one. Besides the obvious of knowing how to manage a game, be a supreme motivator, and know talent when he sees it.

Marv Levy didn't know squat about the offense as he was a special teams assistant under the late George Allen. Then tried to run the winged-T as HC of the Chiefs. What he did know was who to hire as his coordinators in Buffalo. Well, he did get extremely lucky to find and hire ex Colt HC Ted Marchibroda as his OC.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 1m

#Bills DC Mike Pettine will fly to Cleveland tomorrow for a third interview with the Browns. He’s a finalist.

That should do it.

Adam Benigni@AdamBenigni 9m

Source confirms @AdamSchefter tweet that #Bills Pettine is one of two finalists that will meet with #Browns Thursday.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 19m

Cleveland's HC search down to two finalists who will meet with Browns' brass Thursday, per league sources. Bills DC Mike Pettine a favorite.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 1m

#Bills DC Mike Pettine will fly to Cleveland tomorrow for a third interview with the Browns. He’s a finalist.

That should do it.

Adam Benigni@AdamBenigni 9m

Source confirms @AdamSchefter tweet that #Bills Pettine is one of two finalists that will meet with #Browns Thursday.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 19m

Cleveland's HC search down to two finalists who will meet with Browns' brass Thursday, per league sources. Bills DC Mike Pettine a favorite.

They're going to an awful lot of effort to determine who the best candidate is.

Especially since, no matter who the coach ends up being, they're still a complete train wreck.