Bills Interested In Alex Van Pelt As QB Coach

iommi

Hmmm... the best news I take from this is that the Bills are interested in hiring A QB Coach.

Me too, even if AVP does not come back, then I am sure there are other candidates for the job out there.

He's the RB coach in GB?!

Yeah, let's bring him back! What could go wrong?

In that case, can he bring James Starks along with him?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Van Pelt, the Packers' running backs coach the past two seasons, might replace McAdoo. After a nine-year career playing quarterback in the NFL, Van Pelt coached quarterbacks in Buffalo from 2008-'09 and in Tampa Bay from 2010-'11. He was the Bills' coordinator in '10.

"Obviously, I'm quarterback-trained, so it'd be natural," Van Pelt said last week. "But I'm having a lot of fun coaching these guys."

A source said the Bills were interested in hiring Van Pelt as quarterbacks coach but, with a year remaining on his contract in Green Bay, it's unlikely McCarthy would let him go.

isn't a QB coach a promotion from RB coach?

I thought the NFL endorsed promotions.

I am glad the Bills are entertaing the notion of hiring a QB coach. I think it is important that it is somebody that Hackett gets on with, and knows...so AVP might not be a bad choice...Hackett and the QB coach have to be on the same page, or it isn't going to help the kid learn at all. We have seen that scenario play out quite often. I am not as down on Hackett as some...but he is young, and he seems to be pretty tightly wound. From what I have heard, he places a big value on the relationship he has with Manuel, like he wants to be that "voice inside EJ's head"...to throw a second voice in the mix (which I am for) is a tricky move, IMO.

On a side note...it is really amazing to me how young some of the guys who are getting cooridinator jobs are. It seems to be the trend. The guy the Redskins hired as their OC is only 27!

Edited by Buftex

Me too, even if AVP does not come back, then I am sure there are other candidates for the job out there.

Everyone loved the David Lee hiring---let's make magic happen all over again!

In that case, can he bring James Starks along with him?

He may as well bring John Starks...

The Packers don't think so.

Remains to be seen. They'd probably rather keep him at RB coach, considering Lacy is considered one of the top rookies this year, and add a QB coach.

And really, anyone could be Rodgers' QB coach.

Eddie Lacy ran for 1178 yards. Starks added almost 500. GB was the #7 rushing team in the regular season. What is your point ?

Eddie Lacy ran for 1178 yards. Starks added almost 500. GB was the #7 rushing team in the regular season. What is your point ?

I think it is important that it is somebody that Hackett gets on with, and knows...so AVP might not be a bad choice....

Why is this a good idea? There's too much being handed to NFL coaches by way of them being buddies with someone/knowing someone/owes them a favor. This type of cronyism never ends well. Not only that, it cheats out candidates who are more accomplished or have a better skill set. Just look at the career trajectory of Pettine vs Crossman. In fact, wanting to steal Hackett's job should be part of the search criteria for our new QB coach.

While I wasn't exactly keen on AVP calling plays for Jauron, that team did better then Gailey with less talent.

I'm all for getting these young QB's a coach of their own and AVP would be a good fit IMHO.

I always thought Gailey did a fantastic job. I would love to have him back as our OC.

Not sure how the average fan can judge whether or not a QB coach is any good. I guess whatever team has a good QB, has a good QB coach?

Is it the player, or the coach, where is the credit dished out? Is Andrew Luck's coach great? Is it Harbaugh or Geep Chryst (or Kaepernik) for the 49'ers?

How are you guys measuring QB coaches?

I was thinking about the linebacker coach that got fired. Was it his fault, or were the guys he had to work with sub-par? Should the team just fire any coach whose unit didn't perform well? Should the DB coach be fired because Justin Rogers blew the season early? Should the O-line coach be canned because Legursky sucked?

Not sure how we fans can draw conclusions.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Alex Van Pelt, the Packers' running backs coach the past two seasons, might replace McAdoo. After a nine-year career playing quarterback in the NFL, Van Pelt coached quarterbacks in Buffalo from 2008-'09 and in Tampa Bay from 2010-'11. He was the Bills' coordinator in '10.

"Obviously, I'm quarterback-trained, so it'd be natural," Van Pelt said last week. "But I'm having a lot of fun coaching these guys."

A source said the Bills were interested in hiring Van Pelt as quarterbacks coach but, with a year remaining on his contract in Green Bay, it's unlikely McCarthy would let him go.

cool, hope we get him.