Who are the top five QBs of all time?

bbb

I am not saying he should be on the list, just pointing out he was not "junk". :D

Got it. I just wanted to point that out because it skews the stat a bit. Maybe a better stat is winning percentage. i would imagine Favre would still be pretty high on percentage, but doubt he would be no. 1.

as to Favre himself, he's tough to judge. he probably made the most boneheaded critical errors of any great QB, which I think causes people to probably undervalue his other accomplishments.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it. I just wanted to point that out because it skews the stat a bit. Maybe a better stat is winning percentage. i would imagine Favre would still be pretty high on percentage, but doubt he would be no. 1.

as to Favre himself, he's tough to judge. he probably made the most boneheaded critical errors of any great QB, which I think causes people to probably undervalue his other accomplishments.

Once again the boneheaded favre errors got worse as the years went along. He was on a Peyton/Brady level from 95-97(you know when he was the NFL MVP for those 3 years straight), he slowly started to decline but even from the late 90s to around 2003 or 04 he was still pretty damn good. Then he had that unbelieavable year in Minnesota in 09. I get it the guy completely tarnished his legacy and it even has hurt his reputation with me as a fan of his, and I can understand if you don't like the guy but people can't take away from all of his accomplishments and how great he was in the mid 90s just because they don't like him. I think so many people even forget how beloved he was in the 90s and then he became the poster boy for the media attention(which is what began to turn people off from him) in the 2000s but it wasn't his fault that is just when the 24/7 sports media coverage was really coming into play and he was "that guy" at the time and now they are doing the same with Brady and Peyton.

Once again the boneheaded favre errors got worse as the years went along. He was on a Peyton/Brady level from 95-97(you know when he was the NFL MVP for those 3 years straight), he slowly started to decline but even from the late 90s to around 2003 or 04 he was still pretty damn good. Then he had that unbelieavable year in Minnesota in 09. I get it the guy completely tarnished his legacy and it even has hurt his reputation with me as a fan of his, and I can understand if you don't like the guy but people can't take away from all of his accomplishments and how great he was in the mid 90s just because they don't like him. I think so many people even forget how beloved he was in the 90s and then he became the poster boy for the media attention(which is what began to turn people off from him) in the 2000s but it wasn't his fault that is just when the 24/7 sports media coverage was really coming into play and he was "that guy" at the time and now they are doing the same with Brady and Peyton.

Has Peyton Manning been sending photos of his penis to young Broncos' employees? Favre made complete jackass out of himself.

He was great, but not top 5 all-time great.

I think you got to think about the rule changes when making the list.

1) Marino- Imagine his numbers with todays rules

2)Montana- Joe cool

3)Kelly-4 straight Super Bowls, weather

4)Elway-Never liked him, but have to admit he was good

5)Manning/Brady/Fouts/Bradshaw/Young-Take your pick

I think you got to think about the rule changes when making the list.

1) Marino- Imagine his numbers with todays rules

2)Montana- Joe cool

3)Kelly-4 straight Super Bowls, weather

4)Elway-Never liked him, but have to admit he was good

5)Manning/Brady/Fouts/Bradshaw/Young-Take your pick

Don't the Bills' opponents play in the same weather whilst in Orchard Park?

In my lifetime I've never seen a QB better than Steve Young. Not Montana, not Marino, not Elway. Now, it can be argued that he didn't have the longevity those guys had because he sat on the bench for years but when he got a chance to play he was better than any of those guys.

Young was just as good as Montana at breaking down D's and quickly finding the right WR to throw to but he had a better arm, threw deep more often and added 4k career yards on the ground yet wasn't a guy who looked to run first. Young averaged a half a yard more per attempt than Montana and had a higher completion percentage - all while running the same offense. That's a significant amount and goes to show you who was more accurate all the while taking more chances by pushing the ball down field.

In my lifetime I've never seen a QB better than Steve Young. Not Montana, not Marino, not Elway. Now, it can be argued that he didn't have the longevity those guys had because he sat on the bench for years but when he got a chance to play he was better than any of those guys.

Young was just as good as Montana at breaking down D's and quickly finding the right WR to throw to but he had a better arm, threw deep more often and added 4k career yards on the ground yet wasn't a guy who looked to run first. Young averaged a half a yard more per attempt than Montana and had a higher completion percentage - all while running the same offense. That's a significant amount and goes to show you who was more accurate all the while taking more chances by pushing the ball down field.

Young was good because he's a very smart man. And I agree that the longevity/time as a starter are the only things keeping him out of most people's top 5. In my opinion, he's the greatest mobile QB ever.

Young was good because he's a very smart man. And I agree that the longevity/time as a starter are the only things keeping him out of most people's top 5. In my opinion, he's the greatest mobile QB ever.

He was also very accurate. Agreed with more time, he would have been considered one of the best ever. Some fans here would have been trying to replace Young after his rookie year. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00.htm

And him and Montana are great but should they lose points because they both palyed with the greatest wr ever?

Man ... now I'm really thinking hard about Young in the top 5 ....

For those of you with Kelly in your top 5 and Young absent ....

Young: 163 starts - 232 TD; 107 INT; 33,124 yards

Kelly: 160 starts - 237 TD; 175 INT; 35467 yards

#1- Montana

#2- Brady

#3- Manning

#4- Otto Graham

#5- Elway

The Peyton Manning or Tom Brady debate will probably live on forever, no matter what happens when Denver plays New England in Sunday's AFC championship game, but Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman had a great idea: Ask the people paid to evaluate NFL talent.

So Freeman asked eight NFL personnel men the simple question, who is the better quarterback right now? Seven of the eight took Brady over Manning, who is going to win his fifth MVP this year.

http://sports.yahoo....48306--nfl.html

My top 5:

1. Montana - Most amazing QB I have ever seen, he made plays happen i never thought were possible back then.

2. Brady/Mannin -- not doing the debate so tied for 2, def 2 the best ever.

4. Marino --- Guy had the fastest release I have ever seen.

5. Kelly --- He was snake bit by facinf some of the best D the league ever seen, and he started the hurry up that almost every team uses

Kelly couldn't even get into the top 5 with his contemporaries!

Marino

Elway

Aikman

Young

Montana

they were all better than Kelly. All-time it would be tough, but you could, get him in the top-20-that's it.