Who are the top five QBs of all time?

bbb

I was wondering if we've ever had a rivalry like Brady-Manning. I can't see one that is this good - meeting for the fourth time in the postseason, third time in the AFC Championship game. Two of the top five quarterbacks of all time.

But, then I was wondering who would be the consensus top 5? I would think the nominees are:

Otto Graham

Johnny Unitas

Joe Montana

John Elway

Dan Marino

Steve Young (may not have had enough years as starting QB, but I believe he is still top rated QB ever)

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Some may think Staubach, Favre and maybe somebody else should be in there, as well.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 5:

1. Montana - Most amazing QB I have ever seen, he made plays happen i never thought were possible back then.

2. Brady/Mannin -- not doing the debate so tied for 2, def 2 the best ever.

4. Marino --- Guy had the fastest release I have ever seen.

5. Kelly --- He was snake bit by facinf some of the best D the league ever seen, and he started the hurry up that almost every team uses

My top 5:

1. Montana - Most amazing QB I have ever seen, he made plays happen i never thought were possible back then.

5. Kelly --- He was snake bit by facinf some of the best D the league ever seen, and he started the hurry up that almost every team uses

You suck up!

j/k

I actually do think Kelly belongs in the top 10 conversation for the exact reason you state. I tend to downgrade him on account of homerism though...

My top 5:

As much as I liked Kelly no way is he top 5 all-time. Agree with Montana and Brady though.

I can't get past the top 4...I'm going with:

Johnny U

Joe Montana

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Then I believe there's a huge drop off before you get to anyone else.

Fair enough, but you might as well round it out with Otto Graham then. He took the Browns to 10 straight championship games and won 7 of them. That's crazy.

Fair enough, but you might as well round it out with Otto Graham then. He took the Browns to 10 straight championship games and won 7 of them. That's crazy.

Unfair for me to put Graham in there, as he was before my time. I also didn't see Johnny U in his hay-day, but my dad had a bunch of old game tapes, so I got a LOT of exposure to him.

Unfair for me to put Graham in there, as he was before my time. I also didn't see Johnny U in his hay-day, but my dad had a bunch of old game tapes, so I got a LOT of exposure to him.

Cool. You definitely sound well qualified!

I don't think u can put otto or johhny u on this list.. best qbs of their era yes but of all time? no way.. put either of them on the broncos rite now and they're probably not even in the playoffs. also if aaron rodgers was on those browns teams they probably would have won all 10

Edited by CJallDAY

My top-5 in order would be:

1. Dan Marino - still had quickest release of any quarterback ever. If his defenses would have been better, there's no doubt he would have had rings (which are irrelevant for this post).
  2. Peyton Manning - Only QB I know of in the modern era that is still calling his own plays. Knows the play book as good or better than the OC's he's worked with.
  3. Joe Montana - He played for some great teams of course, but he's up their in terms of all time comebacks, QB rating, passing efficiency, etc.
  4. Steve Young - Dual threat coupled with extremely high completion percentage puts him here for me.
  5. Tom Brady - Never been on a bad team, has a great coach and good talent around him offensively and defensively. Still gets it done late in games.

I always wonder whether the greats of the 80s and 90s like Montana would be nearly as good in today's game, with free agency and less stacked teams.

Imagine Montana without Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Roger Craig, Brent Jones, and a ridiculous defense.

I just doubt that he would have the same success if you put him on the Patriots, throwing to Julian Edelman and Aaron Dobson....