no charges in IRS investigation?

Azalin

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listen you silly bitches, she inadvertently, ah, hem... INADVERTENTLY put them all in the recycle bin and then emptied the wastebasket.

What so hard to believe about that? They're gone you idiots. She EMPTIED the wastebasket. How much more clear can they be? [/gaytard]

Listen you silly bitches, she inadvertently, ah, hem... INADVERTENTLY put them all in the recycle bin and then emptied the wastebasket.

What so hard to believe about that? They're gone you idiots. She EMPTIED the wastebasket. How much more clear can they be? [/gaytard]

I'll bet you she doesn't even rewind her DVDs!

This is funny, of course because this is "dog ate my homework". It's hilarious in fact, because they were dumb enough to believe this was better than either doing nothing, or saying something else. Nobody believes this email story. Nobody except gatorman-types.

But, it's also funny because, 10 years ago, you guys might have bought this story. And, 10 years ago, I might have had to explain this further in IT terms.

Now? I bet half of you could explain, at least the theory, behind load-balancing(horizontal scaling)/fail-over architecture. I bet most of you know damn well that even amongst government IT people, maintaining a poperly scaling, load-balancing, and archiving email architecture is easily done.

To me, this is just another example of the Dan Rather effect, but updated by 10 years: the internet, and our shared experiences with it, make excuses/cannards like this, that might have worked before....just silly.

What serious person doesn't know what a "restore point" is?

This is funny, of course because this is "dog ate my homework". It's hilarious in fact, because they were dumb enough to believe this was better than either doing nothing, or saying something else. Nobody believes this email story. Nobody except gatorman-types.

But, it's also funny because, 10 years ago, you guys might have bought this story. And, 10 years ago, I might have had to explain this further in IT terms.

Now? I bet half of you could explain, at least the theory, behind load-balancing(horizontal scaling)/fail-over architecture. I bet most of you know damn well that even amongst government IT people, maintaining a poperly scaling, load-balancing, and archiving email architecture is easily done.

To me, this is just another example of the Dan Rather effect, but updated by 10 years: the internet, and our shared experiences with it, make excuses/cannards like this, that might have worked before....just silly.

What serious person doesn't know what a "restore point" is?

One key point, though: it can be difficult, administratively, to get archived emails out of a server. Technically, not so much...but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it required a Congressional subpoena in this context.

And you'd be surprised what government IT people don't do. Our email system uses a black hole as an archive - our server administrators can't even retrieve archives from it.

It's a truly pitiful excuse - "My hard drive crashed, and I lost my emails." But I could see it being true nonetheless.

One key point, though: it can be difficult, administratively, to get archived emails out of a server. Technically, not so much...but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it required a Congressional subpoena in this context.

And you'd be surprised what government IT people don't do. Our email system uses a black hole as an archive - our server administrators can't even retrieve archives from it.

It's a truly pitiful excuse - "My hard drive crashed, and I lost my emails." But I could see it being true nonetheless.

I find it hard to believe that an agency such as the IRS does not have very disciplined archival and redundancy systems and practices in place given the nature of their business.

I find it hard to believe that an agency such as the IRS does not have very disciplined archival and redundancy systems and practices in place given the nature of their business.

I found it hard to believe too, once upon a time...

How fortunate is is for us then, that the Internal Revenue Service is in charge of enforcing Obamacare for all.

This of course does not explain why it took them a year to respond to the subpena with this "story" .

If they didn't have them just say so.

(we all know why)

Edited by B-Man

remember..."Not a smidgen of corruption." Said Obama.

IRS Has Lost More E-mails . . .

By Eliana Johnson

It’s not just Lois Lerner’s e-mails. The Internal Revenue Service says it can’t produce e-mails from six more employees involved in the targeting of conservative groups, according to two Republicans investigating the scandal.

more at the link

remember..."Not a smidgen of corruption." Said Obama.

IRS Has Lost More E-mails . . .

By Eliana Johnson

It’s not just Lois Lerner’s e-mails. The Internal Revenue Service says it can’t produce e-mails from six more employees involved in the targeting of conservative groups, according to two Republicans investigating the scandal.

more at the link

It appears that there's something very damaging in those emails. The fact that ABC, NBC and CBS are not reporting on a lie this big just goes to show you how corrupt they're willing to become to cover for Obama.

This big story of missing emails points to this scandal potentially being Obama's Watergate. Eventually investigators will probably get to someone who will refuse to go along with the story because they don't want to risk going to jail for perjury.

Not only that, but where is the modern day John Dean? Lerner sent emails to lots of folks and not one of them have come forward with a single one. Liberal corruption is fascist in its resolve to cover up wrong doing.

Not only that, but where is the modern day John Dean? Lerner sent emails to lots of folks and not one of them have come forward with a single one. Liberal corruption is fascist in its resolve to cover up wrong doing.

Most of them wouldn't be liberal or conservative, just GS-level workers who couldn't care less about the politics but desperately don't want to be hauled in front of Congress and lose their jobs.

Despite the “MISSING” EMAILS, news is still coming out:

“In fact, the documents showed Lerner wanted to make an example out of someone with charges in order to chill all of the groups in the tea party movement.”

I think it’s fair at this point to assume that the “missing” emails are missing because someone in the White House was behind this.

Mark Tapscott: Two Reasons Why The IRS Scandal Isn’t Going Away Any Time Soon.

ramirez-irs-missing.jpg

IRS Was Required By Law To Print Out Lois Lerner's Emails

Original Article

The media focus should be on the administration’s behavior, not on Republicans’ reaction to it.

The Real Story of the IRS Scandal

by Jonah Goldberg

‘Congressional investigators are fuming over revelations that the Internal Revenue Service has lost a trove of emails to and from a central figure in the agency’s tea-party controversy.”

That’s the opening sentence of the Associated Press story on the IRS’s claim that it lost an unknown number of e-mails over two years relating to the agency’s alleged targeting of political groups hostile to the president.

But note how the AP casts the story: The investigators — Republican lawmakers — are outraged.

Is it really so hard to imagine that if this were a Republican administration, the story wouldn’t be the frustration of partisan critics of the president? It would be all about that administration’s behavior. With the exception of National Journal’s Ron Fournier, who called for a special prosecutor to bypass the White House’s “stonewalling,” and former CBS correspondent Sharyl Attkisson, it’s hard to find a non-conservative journalist who thinks this is a big deal.

Let’s back up for a moment. In 2013, IRS official Lois Lerner planted a question from an audience member at an American Bar Association meeting. She used her answer to apologize for — and favorably spin — the agency’s actions, and then later claimed that the apology came as an unprompted response to a question.

Lerner laid the blame for the inappropriate targeting of tea-party and other groups on a few low-level bureaucrats in Cincinnati. That was a lie. Senior officials in the IRS knew and helped to coordinate the effort. She said she only heard about the problem when tea-party groups protested. The targeting, in fact, had already been under internal and external investigation.

In short, Lerner worked hard at denying her agency’s tactics on applications for nonprofit status from groups deemed to be hostile to the president’s agenda. According to IRS officials’ congressional testimony, agents were told to “be on the lookout” for groups that “criticized how the government is being run.”

More at the link

Then this is easily resolved.

You threaten the pay, not jobs, of every single IT person at the IRS. The whole chain of command. You present them with a choice: either produce the emails, or, while we may not be able to fire you, we don't have to pay you for incompetence. The American people aren't going to care, so there is absolutely 0 political risk/cost to Congress cutting the budget of IRS IT to $1. IF you want to stay, and work for free, you may. Otherwise: produce the emails.

Then, you pull the funds for every contract for every IRS IT contractor. You offer them a choice: "produce the emails, and your contract gets funded for 5 years. You don't, and your contract is done immediately."

They can either claim and own firable incompetence, or, they can can own that they know what they are doing, but are refusing to do it, as well as literally being insubordinate.

Nice and tidy logic trap. Since the IRS works in reverse, you can't fire them, etc., you have to threaten them with no pay instead. What I can't believe is that nobody has gottent the contractors to flip, and hand over everything. ALL you need to do is promise whoever is in there(and you know someone is) an "acting CIO" role via the budget, and they would turn on the IRS managers like a mother in law. "Acting CIO" is the highest level of achievement for any consultant. You are literally signing your own paychecks using their money. No consulting firm would ever turn that down.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Obviously, the Lerner email and email of several others is very incriminating and has been deliberately destroyed.

Yes, and clearly the 18.5 minutes of Nixon's tape existed at one point as well.

That's two out of the three accounted for...

Then this is easily resolved.

You threaten the pay, not jobs, of every single IT person at the IRS. The whole chain of command. You present them with a choice: either produce the emails, or, while we may not be able to fire you, we don't have to pay you for incompetence. The American people aren't going to care, so there is absolutely 0 political risk/cost to Congress cutting the budget of IRS IT to $1. IF you want to stay, and work for free, you may. Otherwise: produce the emails.

Then, you pull the funds for every contract for every IRS IT contractor. You offer them a choice: "produce the emails, and your contract gets funded for 5 years. You don't, and your contract is done immediately."

They can either claim and own firable incompetence, or, they can can own that they know what they are doing, but are refusing to do it, as well as literally being insubordinate.

Nice and tidy logic trap. Since the IRS works in reverse, you can't fire them, etc., you have to threaten them with no pay instead. What I can't believe is that nobody has gottent the contractors to flip, and hand over everything. ALL you need to do is promise whoever is in there(and you know someone is) an "acting CIO" role via the budget, and they would turn on the IRS managers like a mother in law. "Acting CIO" is the highest level of achievement for any consultant. You are literally signing your own paychecks using their money. No consulting firm would ever turn that down.

The contractors aren't responsible. "Hey, we just do what we're told. We didn't design this goofy system, it was forced on us." Probably by an ignorant COTR who's no longer with the IRS. Half of government work is making sure you can blame someone else when the solid biological waste material intersects the oscillating cooling device. I think it's a ridiculous way to work...but I see it all the time (just had a guy fired for it, in fact).

Note that I'm not saying this is what happened - I have no idea. I'm just pointing out that government IT is so screwed up that the emails were, in fact, lost for good, and no one currently at the IRS is at fault for that.

Can't read the rest of the WSJ article, but....I did read "quiet admisson that it has spent most of the past year willfully defying Congress". :o

Doesn't that mean jail? I thought that was supposed to be turned over to a Federal judge, and the judge throws them in jail?

Can't read the rest of the WSJ article, but....I did read "quiet admisson that it has spent most of the past year willfully defying Congress". :o

Doesn't that mean jail? I thought that was supposed to be turned over to a Federal judge, and the judge throws them in jail?

I believe the next step is to refer the matter to the Justice Dept., where our illustrious Attorney General will ensure that the matter is promptly brought before a federal grand jury immediately after his own contempt case is presented, but before the New Black Panthers are presented for voter intimidation...

in 2148.

Shocking. Usually the President just walks up to the podium and defies them openly.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/irs-lois-lerner-emails-108044.html

I am just a rich dude that has a lot of clients and information on email and I don't know much about computers. Can some of you experts fill in the steps for me on this because it sounds like baloney.

The IRS told congressional investigators on Friday that the emails of Lerner, the former head of the tax exempt division that was found to have singled out conservative groups for additional scrutiny, were lost from 2009 to 2011 in a computer hard drive crash in early summer 2011. IRS chief John Koskinen will face angry Republicans at a hearing on Friday

“We believe the standard IRS protocol was followed in 2011 for disposing of the broken hard drive. A bad hard drive, like other broken Information Technology equipment, is sent to a recycler as part of our regular process,” an IRS spokesman said in response to a query from POLITICO.

OK I get that part. Disk on her PC crashed....it got sent off and destroyed.

That’s because before May 2013, the IRS only backed up emails for six months on a tape, then recycled the tapes, so they essentially threw out the data. Many agencies do the same, transparency experts say.

Oooh....I get that too. I'm not sure I believe they only keep tapes for 6 months but government can be pretty stupid so I buy it....sort of. But I would bet you money that if they were looking for emails for a taxpayer that owed them a million in 2010, they could find it. OK I really don't buy this 6 month pile of crap they are selling but for the sake of this thread let's say I do.

Here's what I don't get.....her hard drive crashed......they threw it away.......then what did they do? Did they put a new hard drive in her PC and make her start from scratch? No e-mails, no spreadsheets, documents, solitaire, browser bookmarks, iTunes, pictures of Harry Reid, Newt Gingrich and a goat? nuthin? If they had the tapes for six months why didn't they restore her files to her shiny new hard drive? And then wouldn't the information be available again on her new hard drive?

And this same stuff happened to a bunch more people?

I have people and even a Googlebot to worry about my computers which makes it ok for me to resemble the intellect of a Canadian when it comes to technology but wtf am I missing here?

Whenever someone that high up gets a new Desktop or Hardrive, Outlook populates the new hardrive with old emails from the server. Period. Just like if she remotes in from home to a new server and she clicks on Outlook, the first thing it does is based on her login name and password sets up outlook for her and then retrieves everything from the server in her profile.

Edit: Not just anyone that high up. Everyone.

Edited by Oxrock

Whenever someone that high up gets a new Desktop or Hardrive, Outlook populates the new hardrive with old emails from the server. Period. Just like if she remotes in from home to a new server and she clicks on Outlook, the first thing it does is based on her login name and password sets up outlook for her and then retrieves everything from the server in her profile.

Edit: Not just anyone that high up. Everyone.

Not exactly, but close enough

Outlook (and by Outlook everyone really means Microsoft Exchange) stores email on the server. If your computer crashes and you get a new hard drive, the first time you start Outlook it pulls a copy of your store to the local hard drive. If you walk into the next cubicle and log into your coworkers computer, same deal.

If the IRS lost all of Lois Lerner's email during a set period of time, then they lost the email for everybody on the same Exchange store.

And even if the Exchange store crashed, an IT Enterprise the size of the IRS is going to have a system in place to backup email and file servers.

Another factor to consider in the crashed hard drive, is that an IT Enterprise the size of the IRS is going to have a large IT support team. They won't just call up Geek Squad when they have a problem. Any large IT Enterprise will have a phone Help Desk, field techs, server admins, etc all working off a ticketing system. So where is the documentation that the hard drive crashed?

Outlook (and by Outlook everyone really means Microsoft Exchange) stores email on the server. If your computer crashes and you get a new hard drive, the first time you start Outlook it pulls a copy of your store to the local hard drive. If you walk into the next cubicle and log into your coworkers computer, same deal.

If the IRS lost all of Lois Lerner's email during a set period of time, then they lost the email for everybody on the same Exchange store.

And even if the Exchange store crashed, an IT Enterprise the size of the IRS is going to have a system in place to backup email and file servers.

Another factor to consider in the crashed hard drive, is that an IT Enterprise the size of the IRS is going to have a large IT support team. They won't just call up Geek Squad when they have a problem. Any large IT Enterprise will have a phone Help Desk, field techs, server admins, etc all working off a ticketing system. So where is the documentation that the hard drive crashed?

So basically it is like the old song said:

:oops: ........There it is.

and (again)

it didn't just crash last week, why did it take over 13 months to respond to Congress and tell them it 'crashed' several years back ?

I'll answer myself.......................................they're lying.

But you IT geeks should also address the canard that the IRS said it had had backed up the emails, but because they were 3 years old, that data was overwritten by newer emails.

Oh, she put those tapes in her washing machine AFTER her hard drive crashed. That's SOP for the government's high level managers. Gotta keep things squeaky clean at the IRS! After all, they're protecting the government from dishonest, reprehensible people who are questioning how it uses the tax money that the department so efficiently collects.

But you IT geeks should also address the canard that the IRS said it had had backed up the emails, but because they were 3 years old, that data was overwritten by newer emails.

Not surprising. Losing the emails wouldn't be a technical issue, it would be an administrative one. While /dev/null's right about the technical aspects he mentions, the administrative and bureaucratic environment in which that's set up can be utterly ridiculous. Both the email systems I'm on right now have hard limitations on server storage (one deletes everything more than 60 days old, the other locks your email if you exceed half a gigabyte in storage), and both require you to manually archive your own emails - the time-limited one at least provides an archiving tool to move them to, but the storage-limited one requires you to move them off the server and store them locally, so if your drive crashes and you haven't backed up your archive to the network, your emails are gone for good.

Doesn't matter how competent the IT staff is, if the people controlling the money won't pay for the proper set-up.

That's crap. It's not like hard disk space is at a premium now, or was in 2009, and emails use so litte of it that it's preposterous to suggest that overwriting emails is necessary. You're looking at 10 years to fill up a standard 6TB server with email alone, for 10k people, and that includes attachments, because email servers rountinely compress old email. Morever, tape archiving, or just filling up an old hard disk with archived data, and sending it to a backup sever farm, is standard practice. First thing on google when one searches for "archive farm", and its pricing == https://www.archivefarm.com/index-3.html Which...

Not surprising. Losing the emails wouldn't be a technical issue, it would be an administrative one. While /dev/null's right about the technical aspects he mentions, the administrative and bureaucratic environment in which that's set up can be utterly ridiculous. Both the email systems I'm on right now have hard limitations on server storage (one deletes everything more than 60 days old, the other locks your email if you exceed half a gigabyte in storage), and both require you to manually archive your own emails - the time-limited one at least provides an archiving tool to move them to, but the storage-limited one requires you to move them off the server and store them locally, so if your drive crashes and you haven't backed up your archive to the network, your emails are gone for good.

Doesn't matter how competent the IT staff is, if the people controlling the money won't pay for the proper set-up.

....is why I don't buy this $ excuse at all. You are looking at fractions of pennies with that pricing when considering the entire IRS IT budget. I will prepare a plan using those prices, if necessary. But I can tell you now that we're going to end up in the same place: $ is not the concern. $ due to hard disk space? Ludicrous.

Besides, these clowns almost certainly already have their own dedicated FIPS-standard data center, complete with all bells and whistles. Um...FIPS stands for Federal Information Processing Standard. :lol: Are you really suggesting that the IRS isn't following FIPS?

Because: now that would be a real scandal, wouldn't it? Bureaucrat on Bureaucrat crime! :o Somebody might actually get fired! :lol:

Here's how that goes: "Holy hell! Immediately schedule 10, 50-people meetings this week! We need them so we can hire consultants to study this, before it gets out that some employees might lose the 40 jobs created here at the IRS...just for FIPS compliance! Quick: leak it to the media that it's not that we're incompetent, or that we didn't hire 40 people just to do this: No! We don't have enough $! They'll be howling for Congress to spend $ by the end of the week!"

:lol: Don't forget: I've worked in government too.

That, and "backup" is the first thing that client-side IT people obsess about, because it's the first thing they can point to for job security. Hell, in my experience, client-side IT clowns routinely use "backup" as their "something to say" at meetings, largely because its the ONLY thing they can say! :lol:

The policies you are talking about have to do with laziness/incompetence, not $. If the policy makers are involved at all, it's to support the laziness/incompetence.

So, again, either the IRS IT owns incompetence, or, they own insubordination. Pick one. No way in hell they don't have the $.

That's crap. It's not like hard disk space is at a premium now, or was in 2009, and emails use so litte of it that it's preposterous to suggest that overwriting emails is necessary. You're looking at 10 years to fill up a standard 6TB server with email alone, for 10k people, and that includes attachments, because email servers rountinely compress old email. Morever, tape archiving, or just filling up an old hard disk with archived data, and sending it to a backup sever farm, is standard practice. First thing on google when one searches for "archive farm", and its pricing == https://www.archivef...om/index-3.html Which...

....is why I don't buy this $ excuse at all. You are looking at fractions of pennies with that pricing when considering the entire IRS IT budget. I will prepare a plan using those prices, if necessary. But I can tell you now that we're going to end up in the same place: $ is not the concern. $ due to hard disk space? Ludicrous.

Besides, these clowns almost certainly already have their own dedicated FIPS-standard data center, complete with all bells and whistles. Um...FIPS stands for Federal Information Processing Standard. :lol: Are you really suggesting that the IRS isn't following FIPS?

Because: now that would be a real scandal, wouldn't it? Bureaucrat on Bureaucrat crime! :o Somebody might actually get fired! :lol:

Here's how that goes: "Holy hell! Immediately schedule 10, 50-people meetings this week! We need them so we can hire consultants to study this, before it gets out that some employees might lose the 40 jobs created here at the IRS...just for FIPS compliance! Quick: leak it to the media that it's not that we're incompetent, or that we didn't hire 40 people just to do this: No! We don't have enough $! They'll be howling for Congress to spend $ by the end of the week!"

:lol: Don't forget: I've worked in government too.

That, and "backup" is the first thing that client-side IT people obsess about, because it's the first thing they can point to for job security. Hell, in my experience, client-side IT clowns routinely use "backup" as their "something to say" at meetings, largely because its the ONLY thing they can say! :lol:

The policies you are talking about have to do with laziness/incompetence, not $. If the policy makers are involved at all, it's to support the laziness/incompetence.

So, again, either the IRS IT owns incompetence, or, they own insubordination. Pick one. No way in hell they don't have the $.

HAVING the money and ALLOCATING the money are two different things. Particularly when you're talking about an allocation that is effectively risk mitigation, not operational funding.

I'm dealing with this right now, trying to get a server approved that no one wants to spend money on, because the server's a COOP server, hence "not necessary." And the cost we're talking about is petty cash - it's standing up a VM, hardware is a non-issue. I've still spent a month arguing about it. The people in charge would rather take the risk of a significant interruption in service than the risk of having to justify a minimal outlay of money and resources, because while they are responsible for the money, they're not responsible for a server failure.

It's all about being able to point the finger at someone else. It has ****-all to do with doing what's right.

HAVING the money and ALLOCATING the money are two different things. Particularly when you're talking about an allocation that is effectively risk mitigation, not operational funding.

I'm dealing with this right now, trying to get a server approved that no one wants to spend money on, because the server's a COOP server, hence "not necessary." And the cost we're talking about is petty cash - it's standing up a VM, hardware is a non-issue. I've still spent a month arguing about it. The people in charge would rather take the risk of a significant interruption in service than the risk of having to justify a minimal outlay of money and resources, because while they are responsible for the money, they're not responsible for a server failure.

It's all about being able to point the finger at someone else. It has ****-all to do with doing what's right.

Yes, and I would lump all of that under: incompetence. So, we're back to: either own incompetence, or, own insubordination.

What is a an upper manager: who has created the conditions/culture of finger-pointing you describe?

Perhaps s/he is devious? Keeping business units fighting, so that they are easier to manage? But then: who needs "easier to manage"? Incompetents. Competent upper management has no problem with "hard to manage". The relish it. They are bored with anything else.

I'm not doubting you, or your story. In fact that sounds about government-right to me.

However, if I was the boss of the people you are currently arguing with, they'd probably be looking to steal your idea, and take credit for it, because I keep demanding that they think, then produce. "Easiest" way to manage this? If I see no one spending any $ this quarter on hardware....there better be a reason, because deploying new hardware means? We've deployed new software.

We better be deploying new software at the DOD, all the time, because it's not like we've even come close to covering our requirements list, "right Bob"?

See? I don't even need to know the shot/angle of approach, etc. I don't need to know the project plans. I don't even need to know where we stand on the reqs list. I could merely look at the hardware spending by unit, only, and still be doing the job.

Why? Competence.

Yes, and I would lump all of that under: incompetence. So, we're back to: either own incompetence, or, own insubordination.

What is a an upper manager: who has created the conditions/culture of finger-pointing you describe?

Perhaps s/he is devious? Keeping business units fighting, so that they are easier to manage? But then: who needs "easier to manage"? Incompetents. Competent upper management has no problem with "hard to manage". The relish it. They are bored with anything else.

I'm not doubting you, or your story. In fact that sounds about government-right to me.

However, if I was the boss of the people you are currently arguing with, they'd probably be looking to steal your idea, and take credit for it, because I keep demanding that they think, then produce. "Easiest" way to manage this? If I see no one spending any $ this quarter on hardware....there better be a reason, because deploying new hardware means? We've deployed new software.

We better be deploying new software at the DOD, all the time, because it's not like we've even come close to covering our requirements list, "right Bob"?

See? I don't even need to know the shot/angle of approach, etc. I don't need to know the project plans. I don't even need to know where we stand on the reqs list. I could merely look at the hardware spending by unit, only, and still be doing the job.

Why? Competence.

Mostly it's that all lines of responsibility end up in front of a Congressional hearing, and no one wants to be the one holding the bag in THAT forum.

You want your incompetence? There it is. Congresscritters who don't even know HOW to hold people accountable.

Mostly it's that all lines of responsibility end up in front of a Congressional hearing, and no one wants to be the one holding the bag in THAT forum.

You want your incompetence? There it is. Congresscritters who don't even know HOW to hold people accountable.

As I said in the other thread....I can teach them how.

And, how, in a way that is completely non-threatening politically.

Understand the difference between administrative and technical data retention policies. But you would think that an organization like the IRS, who expects taxpayers to keep their documents on file for years:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/How-long-should-I-keep-records

Would implement their internal administrative DRP in line with what they enforce on taxpayers