If you were a GM would you prefer FA then Draft or Draft then FA?

Beerball

Personally I think that they have it backwards. I'd prefer to draft then go to FA. With the draft you never know who you're gonna get, a team may draft a guy that they never thought they would so their needs in FA would shift. With FA then draft you may pass on a really strong prospect because you just spent money on a FA.

Which do you prefer?

FA then draft. If it was the other way, players could drive up the asking price knowing that the team can't just forget about the player if he's too expensive and draft one from his position. And if you don't draft a position in the draft because you want to go after it in FA and the players you wanted go get in FA signed with other teams, you'll have to go for a UDFA or a lower standard guy. (If any of that makes sense...)

Both ways have their problems, its just depends which problems the owners want to face.

As an owner, I'd prefer the current FA then Draft order for financial reasons already stated. From a competitive standpoint, I think the better choice would be Draft then FA. Because the outcome of the draft has move variability, getting that "risk" out of the way, makes going into the FA period easier. Each team would likely take into account what FA's are on the market before entering the draft. Teams with high draft picks, likely prefer free agency first though. They likely have a known selection, at least in the first round. That makes free agency easier because the risk of the draft is lower.

Ultimately, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Given the financial considerations today, drafted players are soooo much cheaper that FA's that every team is looking to draft first for most positions. However, for cheaper positions, teams can solidify certain roster spots before the draft so they don't waste a pick on an inexpensive position. According to Sports Illustrated, the cheapest position players are TE and Safeties. Better to get one of those in Free Agency vs. a defensive tackle, offensive lineman, etc. because they are some of the highest paid positions.

Under this logic, the Bills shouldn't pay Byrd top dollar because, for the money, they can get a reasonably good safety in free agency and save money to pay higher value positions or, preferably, get them in the draft.

My 2 cents.

EdW

FA then draft. If it was the other way, players could drive up the asking price knowing that the team can't just forget about the player if he's too expensive and draft one from his position. And if you don't draft a position in the draft because you want to go after it in FA and the players you wanted go get in FA signed with other teams, you'll have to go for a UDFA or a lower standard guy. (If any of that makes sense...)

Both ways have their problems, its just depends which problems the owners want to face.

You hit it on this point. ThIs is why the NFL chose this order.

Both. You can't fill all of your holes with just one. You don't get enough high draft picks and you can't afford to fill them all with expensive free agents. You need a smart GM who knows how to blend the two properly. Not saying I'm right it's just my opinion on how I would to do it.

Both. You can't fill all of your holes with just one. You don't get enough high draft picks and you can't afford to fill them all with expensive free agents. You need a smart GM who knows how to blend the two properly. Not saying I'm right it's just my opinion on how I would to do it.

?

FA to fill the biggest needs because you know what you are getting right away. The FA is a guy who has proved that he can play in the NFL and should step in and fill the hole. If you use the draft to fill the need you might need to use a #1 pick on a guy who is a 2nd round talent.

What would be exciting is if they had both of them combined, not as in free agents entered into the draft, but rather it's 7:00pm Thursday, the Houston Texans are now on the clock to begin round 1... and free agency has now opened. You may now sign 1 free agent during the 1st round (obviously only if you want to, and any team can sign as soon as draft starts, it doesn't have to be their turn in the draft).

Second and Third Rounds Friday night, you may now sign 1 more FA. Once the rest of the draft starts, rounds 4-7, free agents may now sign as they please with no more restrictions.

This would obviously be hell for GMs and management, but would be so exciting for fans to just tune in, and see their team's haul unfold in prime time.

Personally I think that they have it backwards. I'd prefer to draft then go to FA. With the draft you never know who you're gonna get, a team may draft a guy that they never thought they would so their needs in FA would shift. With FA then draft you may pass on a really strong prospect because you just spent money on a FA.

Which do you prefer?

True but if you wait till after then most of the good players are gone.