The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

If the Skinny repeal passed

The bill would mean 15 million more people would be uninsured next year than under Obamacare, with 16 million more in 2026, the Congressional Budget Office said in a report released late Thursday night.
Premiums would jump 20% next year, compared to current law.

I don't think any Medicaid would of been cut with that skinny bill so that number is based off those who purchase insurance through the ACA. I don't know how many of those 15 million actually want to pay for insurance.

I wonder how much of the McCain "no" vote was a personal vendetta against Trump. The pow comment and Trump bullying on twitter the Alaskan Senator may have rubbed him the wrong way.

So they're going to vote today about agreeing to proceed on a debate about whether to just repeal with a two year delay or repeal and replace? My prediction is the vote to proceed passes, but nothing else after that does. Trump will then say let Obamacare die and the GOP moves on to tax breaks to please their donors.

I also predict the Bills will go 11-5 and make the WC spot where they will play the Raiders.

I've got the perfect solution to the healthcare fiasco, if I'm the president, im rescinding Obama's executive order allowing members of congress, their families and staff not to use the ACA for their healthcare, watch how fast they get something done

I've got the perfect solution to the healthcare fiasco, if I'm the president, im rescinding Obama's executive order allowing members of congress, their families and staff not to use the ACA for their healthcare, watch how fast they get something done

THIS.

You know what's funny is if the skinny repeal had passed, states still could have passed their own coverage mandates. Which means red states would have ended up footing the bill for blue state marketplaces. Off of a Republican bill. Hilarious!

Edited by HappyDays

Well it allows people to get out of the broken system without tax penalties.

I'd jump on board ASAP.

Of course you would, you aren't all up there in the mental processing department.

It's just to get the bill to the next stage. It's going to take awhile before anything gets through.

Yes, that would have been fine. I was speaking to it actually becoming law.

Of course you would, you aren't all up there in the mental processing department.

Really.

So, as a healthy person who takes care of himself, I shouldn't want to NOT be forced into a plan that meets the criteria for hundreds of dollars per month?

OK.

!@#$ off, you halfwit.

Edited by joesixpack

Really.

So, as a healthy person who takes care of himself, I shouldn't want to be forced into a plan that meets the criteria for hundreds of dollars?

OK.

!@#$ off, you halfwit.

Healthy person? You understand why insurance is necessary?

Moron

Really.

So, as a healthy person who takes care of himself, I shouldn't want to NOT be forced into a plan that meets the criteria for hundreds of dollars per month?

OK.

!@#$ off, you halfwit.

It is what it is

Healthy person? You understand why insurance is necessary?

Moron

if i COULD, I'd have a catastrophic policy ONLY.

And probably would spend a hell of a lot less per month. But hey, I don't expect YOU to understand.

It is what it is

Only because of cowards like McCain and the two bitches. Yes.

if i COULD, I'd have a catastrophic policy ONLY.

And probably would spend a hell of a lot less per month. But hey, I don't expect YOU to understand.

Only because of cowards like McCain and the two bitches. Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I think they made the wrong vote and I believe they should have to answer to their constituents for the vote not to proceed. I also don't like the mandate as well and if I crafted a law it wouldn't have one. But just taking the repeal away is retarded for the reasons I had mentioned before.

And I think you are an ok dude, just that I'm tired of trying to reason with you when you really don't either have the capability to fully process information you digest or don't have a desire to reason.

Don't get me wrong, I think they made the wrong vote and I believe they should have to answer to their constituents for the vote not to proceed. I also don't like the mandate as well and if I crafted a law it wouldn't have one. But just taking the repeal away is retarded for the reasons I had mentioned before.

And I think you are an ok dude, just that I'm tired of trying to reason with you when you really don't either have the capability to fully process information you digest or don't have a desire to reason.

Look, unlike most ppl here I actually worked in health insurance for 8 years. I know how it works. And I knew the moment the details of Obamacare came out that it had one goal and one goal only: to bankrupt the industry and push people toward single-payer.

To contend anything else is intellectually dishonest.

The only real options on the table should be a free-market system, or socialized healthcare.

And I, like many people in the middle class, have gotten absolutely hammered by the Obamacare fraud. It's only the poor and wealthy who've done well with it.

Edit: also, it may seem callous, but I don't really care about other people's experiences. For ME, it's been a disaster.

Edited by joesixpack

Look, unlike most ppl here I actually worked in health insurance for 8 years. I know how it works. And I knew the moment the details of Obamacare came out that it had one goal and one goal only: to bankrupt the industry and push people toward single-payer.

To contend anything else is intellectually dishonest.

The only real options on the table should be a free-market system, or socialized healthcare.

And I, like many people in the middle class, have gotten absolutely hammered by the Obamacare fraud. It's only the poor and wealthy who've done well with it.

Edit: also, it may seem callous, but I don't really care about other people's experiences. For ME, it's been a disaster.

But that's not what we were discussing. I stated that taking away the mandate and allowing the rest of the law to remain in place was a dumb idea and if passed into law would only make it worse for everyone who needed to buy health insurance from the individual market because it would cause everyone's premiums to go even higher than it is.

and your response was

Well it allows people to get out of the broken system without tax penalties.

I'd jump on board ASAP.

So it helps some people avoid penalties but makes everyone else's premiums who need health insurance get more expensive.

That's not a solution. DC Tom echoed that sentiment

It doesn't provide any alternative. It addresses the philosophical issue of requiring people to participate in a marketplace, without addressing the practical problem of that marketplace being so ungodly !@#$ed that it's pricing people out of it to begin with.

This wasn't an argument to preserve Obamacare or a defense of it, as you were alluding to with your response, this was solely on the merits of the Skinny Repeal becoming law.

It would have been stupid. But as DOC noted, it was intended to be a vehicle to continue negotiations in Conference. But who here trusts that Trump wouldn't have attempted to force Ryan to just try to push that through and then claim victory? He is so desperate to get a victory I wouldn't have put it past him.

This whole process has been strange and Republicans boxed themselves into a corner by not beginning the process of going through regular order and trying to go about this in a bipartisan manner. Yes, yes I know that most Democrats wouldn't have gone along but when he was first inaugurated if Trump hadn't been such a buffoon with his tweets and Republican leadership would have been a little smarter about this, there would have been a little more leverage to negotiate with maybe about 5-10 Democrats on a compromise bill. Now they have absolutely no leverage, Schumer and Pelosi will be steering the ship.

I know a lot of you along with Trump believe they should just let it "fail" and then that will bring Democrats to the table. Good luck with that, contrary to your beliefs, Republicans will get as much if not more of the blame than Democrats. People will know that the administration and Republicans in bad faith would be attempting to sabotage existing law and it would come at the expense of real people attempting to obtain insurance. In other words they would be used as pawns in this political game. It won't work and I sincerely hope that isn't the strategy for the sake of all people attempting to get health insurance from the individual markets.

I don't know what they should do now, I guess they should pass a temporary measure to shore up the markets because the carriers need to have some certainty on what the landscape is going to be for rates this upcoming season and then begin conversations with Democrats and see if they can come to some sort of deal. Then again, they could just try to come up with some only Republican alternative, but we've already seen how that has been working out.

Alaska Threatened by Trump Team on Senator's Obamacare Vote

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has threatened Alaska’s senators with retribution on major energy and public-lands decisions because one of them voted against repealing Obamacare.

Sullivan described his exchange with Zinke as a "troubling message" that raised the prospect of unfavorable decisions on federal policy for Alaska. Late on Thursday, two Democratic lawmakers requested that the Government Accountability Office and Interior’s inspector general determine whether the call violated the law.

Sounds like blackmail to me . That's team Trump alright

Edited by ALF

This was a political embarrassing farce for the GOP. Say what you want about The ACA's failures, it was one party"s misguided attempt to help out the health system. The GOP can't even come up with a plan. And now this public humiliation.

They can go back to their constituents and demagogue the Dems. That will work for the extremes but those of us in the middle want solutions not soundbytes.

This was a political embarrassing farce for the GOP. Say what you want about The ACA's failures, it was one party"s misguided attempt to help out the health system. The GOP can't even come up with a plan. And now this public humiliation.

They can go back to their constituents and demagogue the Dems. That will work for the extremes but those of us in the middle want solutions not soundbytes.

It's not an issue that the GOP wanted to prioritize.