Draft compensation for Levitre

The only significant FA the Bills signed was Manny Lawson at 4 yrs and 12 million. Levitre signed 6yrs for 46.8. That is nearly 5 million more per season. I don't know the compensation formula for draft picks but I'm fairly sure it is based on players lost minus players signed measured in contract dollars.

I'm thinking an extra fourth is possible. Anyone know the system details better than I do?

The whole process in very black box. It has to do with players signed versus players lost, and then takes into account contracts and such, and then the league considers how much they like your team. That's why the league's "darling" teams get multiple high round comp picks.

The whole process in very black box. It has to do with players signed versus players lost, and then takes into account contracts and such, and then the league considers how much they like your team. That's why the league's "darling" teams get multiple high round comp picks.

Not completely "black box".

From NFL.com:

"Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. "

"The Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens each were awarded four picks. The San Francisco 49ers and Tennessee Titans each received three picks, and the Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs,Miami Dolphins and Seattle Seahawks each were given two selections. Receiving one compensatory pick were the Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants,Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles andPittsburgh Steelers."

The Falcons, Ravens, and Titans are "darlings" of the NFL?

Edited by Mr. WEO

It's two tier - first simply bodies in the door and out.

Lost more: then you start matching them up to cancel guys out and the ones remaining are what you get picks for. Pretty much 100% predictable based on average salary of the player.

In the first tier it's just volume - your backup linebacker and a starting qb count the same.

Edited by NoSaint

Off the top of my head, we lost Donald Jones, David Nelson, Tyler Thigpen, Chad Reinhardt, and Levitre. They are they only noteworthy losses. I think the only gains are Kolb which probably cancels out Nelson, Legursky which probably cancels out Reinhardt, and the combination of Lawson, Branch, and Carpenter might offset the large loss of Levitre, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any compensation, because it might not be coming.

Interesting sig.

Off the top of my head, we lost Donald Jones, David Nelson, Tyler Thigpen, Chad Reinhardt, and Levitre. They are they only noteworthy losses. I think the only gains are Kolb which probably cancels out Nelson, Legursky which probably cancels out Reinhardt, and the combination of Lawson, Branch, and Carpenter might offset the large loss of Levitre, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any compensation, because it might not be coming.

Still not how it works. "Noteworthy" doesn't matter. And your list has more losses which would mean not eligible for anything automatically.

But your list includes guys we opted not to tender and they don't count. It also is missing guys we lost (what's his name - the DE Chicago signed?!?).And we signed legursky after the qualifying window closed (and I think thigpen also signed elsewhere too late)

There was a thread back in June that had the lists pretty well worked out I believe

Edited by NoSaint

Still not how it works. "Noteworthy" doesn't matter. And your list has more losses which would mean not eligible for anything automatically.

But your list includes guys we opted not to tender and they don't count. It also is missing guys we lost (what's his name - the DE Chicago signed?!?).And we signed legursky after the qualifying window closed (and I think thigpen also signed elsewhere too late)

There was a thread back in June that had the lists pretty well worked out I believe

Kyle Moore

Not completely "black box".

From NFL.com:

"Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. "

"The Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens each were awarded four picks. The San Francisco 49ers and Tennessee Titans each received three picks, and the Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs,Miami Dolphins and Seattle Seahawks each were given two selections. Receiving one compensatory pick were the Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants,Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles andPittsburgh Steelers."

The Falcons, Ravens, and Titans are "darlings" of the NFL?

so we get none this year?

The only significant FA the Bills signed was Manny Lawson at 4 yrs and 12 million. Levitre signed 6yrs for 46.8. That is nearly 5 million more per season. I don't know the compensation formula for draft picks but I'm fairly sure it is based on players lost minus players signed measured in contract dollars.

I'm thinking an extra fourth is possible. Anyone know the system details better than I do?

Also, dont forget we lost guys like Rhinehart who turned in a great season for Chargers and received a pretty decent deal for a "journeyman" Guard.

Thinking about it, he probably would have been a nice re-signing last yr if we signed him instead of Legursky. He probably would have beat out Colin Brown in camp and could have been huge addition to our Oline...

Too bad hindsight is 20/20! LOL

so we get none this year?

If we had more qualified signings, nothing

If we had equal in and out a 7th rounder

If we lost more we start into the leveling and quantity talk

If I recall we had it down to lost 1 more qualifying player in June, but weren't 100% certain on if someone qualified. If we were actually -1 we'd get one pick - depending on how guys cancelled out at that point and if levitre ended up being that loss it'd be close to the line between a 3 and a 4 depending on at what salary level the nfl draws the line.

Also, dont forget we lost guys like Rhinehart who turned in a great season for Chargers and received a pretty decent deal for a "journeyman" Guard.

Thinking about it, he probably would have been a nice re-signing last yr if we signed him instead of Legursky. He probably would have beat out Colin Brown in camp and could have been huge addition to our Oline...

Too bad hindsight is 20/20! LOL

I won't even say its 20/20 right now - if signing him cost a high mid round pick, it would be a tougher choice. Would you take legursky and a 3rd over rhinehart and a 7 potentially (if we ran -1 that's potentially the trade off)? Legursky was signed like the day after the qualifying cutoff, I'm sure no coincidence. Rhinehart was a qualified loss. So that nets us a pick potentially (and with the bills waiting to sign DL I'd guess their calculations have us being owed a pick

Edited by NoSaint

Exhibit Z of why you need to build throughout the draft and NOT free agency. Houston lost Mario Williams with a big contract to Buffalo and didn't really replace him with even a $2 M guy. They got a 3rd. Baltimore lost 2 decent players in Jarrett Johnson and Ben Grubbs, but then a bunch of absolute SCRUBS. They signed Corey Graham and 1 other guy. The result was 4 Comp picks.

If you have decent players on your roster that get signed by someone else, you get comp. If you suck and have a bunch of bartenders on your roster (like the Bills for the last 10 years), it's hard to get comp picks because nobody wants your bartenders. That's ANOTHER reason to blow off the free agents and build through the draft.

As good as you think Manny Lawson was, the Bills were still 6-10 and he cost them a potential 3rd round comp pick.

Edited by JPS

Exhibit Z of why you need to build throughout the draft and NOT free agency. Houston lost Mario Williams with a big contract to Buffalo and didn't really replace him with even a $2 M guy. They got a 3rd. Baltimore lost 2 decent players in Jarrett Johnson and Ben Grubbs, but then a bunch of absolute SCRUBS. They signed Corey Graham and 1 other guy. The result was 4 Comp picks.

If you have decent players on your roster that get signed by someone else, you get comp. If you suck and have a bunch of bartenders on your roster (like the Bills for the last 10 years), it's hard to get comp picks because nobody wants your bartenders. That's ANOTHER reason to blow off the free agents and build through the draft.

As good as you think Manny Lawson was, the Bills were still 6-10 and he cost them a 3rd round pick.

Mannys salary would be like a 5 or 6, if he even changed our outcome.

Otherwise, yup, another reason good drafting is huge.

If we had more qualified signings, nothing

If we had equal in and out a 7th rounder

If we lost more we start into the leveling and quantity talk

If I recall we had it down to lost 1 more qualifying player in June, but weren't 100% certain on if someone qualified. If we were actually -1 we'd get one pick - depending on how guys cancelled out at that point and if levitre ended up being that loss it'd be close to the line between a 3 and a 4 depending on at what salary level the nfl draws the line.

I won't even say its 20/20 right now - if signing him cost a high mid round pick, it would be a tougher choice. Would you take legursky and a 3rd over rhinehart and a 7 potentially (if we ran -1 that's potentially the trade off)? Legursky was signed like the day after the qualifying cutoff, I'm sure no coincidence. Rhinehart was a qualified loss. So that nets us a pick potentially (and with the bills waiting to sign DL I'd guess their calculations have us being owed a pick

I'm pretty sure our qualifying losses are Kyle Moore, Chad Rinehart, and Andy Levitre. As to our qualifying gains, I know Lawson and Branch count. If they're the only ones that count, then we get a comp pick. The salary match goes from low to high, so Moore would cancel out Branch and Rinehart would cancel out Lawson, which would leave us with a 3rd or 4th for Levitre.

However, in addition to Lawson & Branch, we also signed Frank Summers and Doug Legursky as veteran UFAs. Summers was out of football in 2012, so he definitely doesn't count, but I'm not sure about Legursky. I've heard talk that there's a limited signing window for UFAs to count towards comp picks, and it closes around the draft, but I can't find any official confirmation of that. If it's true, Legursky wouldn't count, because he wasn't signed till June. I guess we'll see.

FWIW: From Chris Brown

"As for a compensatory pick it begins and ends with a net loss of free agents. I don’t believe they had a net loss of free agents knowing they signed Manny Lawson, Alan Branch, Kevin Kolb and Doug Legursky while losing Andy Levitre, Chad Rinehart and Kyle Moore (who did not make Chicago’s roster).

Levitre’s large salary could net a compensatory for Buffalo, but we’ll have to see which signings the league qualifies as free agent losses. Moore’s small salary upon signing with the Bears may be excluded."

FWIW: From Chris Brown

"As for a compensatory pick it begins and ends with a net loss of free agents. I don’t believe they had a net loss of free agents knowing they signed Manny Lawson, Alan Branch, Kevin Kolb and Doug Legursky while losing Andy Levitre, Chad Rinehart and Kyle Moore (who did not make Chicago’s roster).

Levitre’s large salary could net a compensatory for Buffalo, but we’ll have to see which signings the league qualifies as free agent losses. Moore’s small salary upon signing with the Bears may be excluded."

I think it's sad that we have posters here that know more about this than Chris Brown. Couldn't he have at least pm'd NoSaint to get himself at least minimally informed before writing a pice for public consumption?