Would the Bills trade up to get Watkins?

Good teams rarely trade up. There is a ton of talent in every draft. I like Watkins but I want a big wr/ TE. Watkins made a lot of plays against a college cb & not a pro one like Robey. Much different ball game.

He has also made a ton of plays throughout his career. He is heads and shoulders the best WR in this draft IMO. After him I like Lee, Benjamin, Matthews, Evans and Robinson in that order.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy Watkins is putting on a WR clinic tonight against a solid Ohio State secondary. There's no way he makes it to #9.

I'd love to see him on the Bills, he's a true #1 WR and would be incredible opposite Woods. Think there's any chance the Bills would go and get him?

Hell, send Byrd to the Rams for their #2!

Nothing against Watkins... he is well deserving of going in the top 10.. but lesser WRs have put on similar clinics against oSU's secondary all year and last night, they were playing ALL backups at safety and CB. One was a true freshman playing in his first game. Just to lend a bit of perspective to what you saw. But again, Watkins is special regardless.

He has also made a ton of plays throughout his career. He is heads and shoulders the best WR in this draft IMO. After him I like Lee, Benjamin, Matthews, Evans and Robinson in that order.

I know. He had a great career. But let's say he is a slightly more athletic SJ. Is that really worth a #9 pick? To me, it isn't. I want a matchup nightmare. To add a freak to a core of SJ, Woods, Goodwin could give us one of the top groups in the league.

Worked out pretty good Atlanta

You could also argue that reason ATL was awful this year is because of the lack of talent they had because of lack of draft picks from the Jones trade.

Also, Jones is the type of wr I want. Watkins isn't in that mold IMO.

I know. He had a great career. But let's say he is a slightly more athletic SJ. Is that really worth a #9 pick? To me, it isn't. I want a matchup nightmare. To add a freak to a core of SJ, Woods, Goodwin could give us one of the top groups in the league.

That's not the type of player tht he is. He is Andre Johnson minus an inch or 2. He is 6'1 but plays bigger. He is explosive in tight space like Percy Harvin but wins in the air like an AJ Green. He is absolutely a top 10 pick and will be the 1st skill player off the board. I do not think that there is much of a chance that he lasts to 9 but if he does the Bills shouldn't waste much time.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

That's not the type of player tht he is. He is Andre Johnson minus an inch or 2. He is 6'1 but plays bigger. He is explosive in tight space like Percy Harvin but wins in the air like an AJ Green. He is absolutely a top 10 pick and will be the 1st skill player off the board. I do not think that there is much of a chance that he last to 9 but if he does the Bills shouldn't waste much time.

Good convo but you're underestimating how big of a difference a few inches can make (that's what she said). Andre Johnson is 6'3" & one of the most physically put together Wrs ever. Yet still, one of the few knocks on AJ is he doesn't score a ton of tds. AJ Green is 6'3" & had an insanely high vertical. That catch he had on McKelvin was a catch one a few guys make.

Like I said, I like Watkins. I just don't think he is going to be an impact guy like I want where you are in the red zone & he's going out muscle & out jump NFL cbs. JMO.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

If the Bills can get either one of those guys (Watkins/evans) at number 9 they must pull the lever. This team needs as many weapons as they can get, and watch the offense shine.

The chances of Watkins making it to #9 are deteriorating rapidly...

Watkins tweeted this past June that he ran a 4.27 on grass...He runs anything under a 4.4 at Indy and he's going top 8...I think you can take that to the bank...He's also said to have a 37" vertical... B-)

Even Jeffery looked bad in his rookie yr and Bears were not sold on him coming into yr.

This entire statement is false. One, rookie WRs rarely contribute at a high level. Especially big guys that have to learn a professional route tree. Two, the Bears never questioned Alshon's ability to be a stud in the NFL. In fact, all I ever heard was how good he was and him quickly he was picking up the offense and that he was one of those WRs that is always open.

Sorry to pick out one thing in your post to critique.

Good convo but you're underestimating how big of a difference a few inches can make (that's what she said). Andre Johnson is 6'3" & one of the most physically put together Wrs ever. Yet still, one of the few knocks on AJ is he doesn't score a ton of tds. AJ Green is 6'3" & had an insanely high vertical. That catch he had on McKelvin was a catch one a few guys make.

Like I said, I like Watkins. I just don't think he is going to be an impact guy like I want where you are in the red zone & he's going out muscle & out jump NFL cbs. JMO.

This is just one that we are going to disagree on. Winning the ball in the air is about 4 things: high-pointing it, leaping ability, body control and size. That is why teams pursue basketball players because these skills are natural for them. Watkins has adequate to good size and great body control, leaping ability and he high points it well (see the 1 TD last night). It is a moot point because there is little to no chance that he slides to 9.

Keep watching all of the pre draft chatter. Watkins has been considered the best WR in the 2014 class for some time and that is not likely to change. You are so transfixed on that big guy as the guy you absolutely want that you are unable to see that Watkins is the best.

Part of the problem is that so much has been said about needing that big guy in the red zone that some people forget that there are more than a few ways to score in the red zone. Give the Bills that dominant 0-line and watch them power-drive the ball in. That is something the Bills haven't been able to do in years and that ability is way overdue.

Agreed. Bills could even be a dance partner to trade down a bit, gather an additional pick, and still nail (yes I said the Bills could nail) one of the top 2 receivers in this years draft. I would be happy with either Watkins or A&M's Evans. Even the big kid (dont know his name), the WR from FSU could be a nice pick.

I would be happy in repeating our drafting strategy from last year. The Bills have had great luck with 2nd round picks in recent years: Aaron Williams is settling in nicely at safety. Glenn has been very solid at LT, Woods has been great, and Kiko has been a revelation. The I think there's a lot of talent for LG and TE in the second round, which is where I would prefer the Bills take them.

Bills should not trade up because they will have a realistic shot at having a monster LB there be it Mack or Barr. Then go OG/WR or WR/OG with their 2nd and 3rd rd picks. This draft is deep, let the talent come to you.

Ehh, for me, the LB would have to be a real monster that could be anywhere on LB spot. Bradham is the weakest link in our front 7, and that's saying something. I think it's an issue we can resolve affordably in free agency, a la Manny Lawson.

For me, I would like to see WR/TE at #9 or lower (no trading up), OG or whichever we don't choose in round 1, and TE or OG in round 3.

I'd take Ebron if Watkins isn't available, which I expect he won't be. Take a LT in the 2d round and move Glenn inside to LG. There should still be a quality 3-4 OLB left in round 3 for the taking.

Edited by Wing Man

Sammy Watkins is putting on a WR clinic tonight against a solid Ohio State secondary. There's no way he makes it to #9.

I'd love to see him on the Bills, he's a true #1 WR and would be incredible opposite Woods. Think there's any chance the Bills would go and get him?

Hell, send Byrd to the Rams for their #2!

I dont think they have to trade up to get him if they want him.

But's it way to early for this, talk to me after the free agents make they moves, then we shall discuss this.

They may not need to. A lot of the teams in front of the Bills are going to be taking QBs and I think the Bills may have their pick of several receivers. This mock draft article paints a nice picture for the Bills at #9.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nfl-mock-draft-dream-draft-tennessee-titans-210100926--nfl.html?soc_src=copy

I can't take any mock that spells "Bortles" "Brotles" throughout their analysis seriously.

It's only January. How the hell are we lasting until May?

Edited by Bronc24

Just watched T.Y. Hilton score a red zone TD. Watkins is 4 inches taller and 27 lbs heavier than Hilton.

Just curious, that tall kid that playes with Johnny Football; is it possible that he gets open more so because Johnny brings DBs up and off of coverage, rather than his own skill level????

Love Watkins, but I really love Kelvin Benjamin from Florida State. I know it's still to early to predict, but any prognostications as to when he is likely to be drafted? I think he could be an Alshon Jeffery clone.

I love him as well. They say late 1st to early 2nd. I have to imagine that he continues to climb after testing and Monday night. I am thinking that he will go in the middle of the 1st after Watkins and Lee.

I love him as well. They say late 1st to early 2nd. I have to imagine that he continues to climb after testing and Monday night. I am thinking that he will go in the middle of the 1st after Watkins and Lee.

So did E.J. play with him at Florida St?. I mean it would make sense....

Eric Moulds was only 6' and he seemed to do alright.

Regardless of Moulds' size, I've said that size is not an issue with Watkins.

I also said that he reminds me of Justin Blackmon in that he plays larger than his listed height/weight.

My comment was directed more towards Evans backers. I think Watkins is probably the better player.

I would only draft Evans if I was convinced he was a better player than Watkins.

For me, size is a tie-breaker, not the primary consideration.

Regardless of Moulds' size, I've said that size is not an issue with Watkins.

I also said that he reminds me of Justin Blackmon in that he plays larger than his listed height/weight.

My comment was directed more towards Evans backers. I think Watkins is probably the better player.

I would only draft Evans if I was convinced he was a better player than Watkins.

For me, size is a tie-breaker, not the primary consideration.

I agree 100% on size being a tie-breaker. I was originally all about Evans but the more I have researched I am in on Watkins.

Yeah, Benjamin was a redshirt freshman last year (I think). They did play together for sure.

Just watched Donnie Avery score a 79 yd TD for K.C. Watkins is 2 inches taller and 5 lbs. heavier than Avery.

And he is faster if there is truth to the rumors that he ran a 4.27 on grass.

FWIW, Avery was the first receiver taken in the 2008 draft.

Donnie Avery (33rd overall)

Devin Thomas

Jordy Nelson

James Hardy (41st overall)

Eddie Royal

Jerome Simpson

DeSean Jackson

Malcolm Kelly

Limas Sweed (53rd overall)

Good thing the Bills chose the size of Hardy over the skill of DJax.

He did... but Benjamin was very inconsistent as a freshman. Dropped a lot of balls. Improved a lot in 2nd year, FSU also replaced 6 guys on its Offensive coaching staff. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Just watched T.Y. Hilton score a red zone TD. Watkins is 4 inches taller and 27 lbs heavier than Hilton.

Just curious, that tall kid that playes with Johnny Football; is it possible that he gets open more so because Johnny brings DBs up and off of coverage, rather than his own skill level????

Luck struggled mightily after Wayne went down. And after a great start, Hilton was up and down for the rest of the season (I had him on my fantasy teams). It's too easy to take away smaller #1 Wrs. If the Bills had a beast at TE or wr, sure. But Watkins is built pretty much the same as our top 2 Wrs.

And Johnny Football does do the scramble deal a lot that helps Evans. But he does sometimes just chuck a football into double coverage hoping his 6'5" basketball wr comes down with it. I want that.

FWIW, Avery was the first receiver taken in the 2008 draft.

Donnie Avery (33rd overall)

Devin Thomas

Jordy Nelson

James Hardy (41st overall)

Eddie Royal

Jerome Simpson

DeSean Jackson

Malcolm Kelly

Limas Sweed (53rd overall)

In fairness, none of those guys had close to the 2 years Evans has had.

Some of you think because the Bills missed on Hardy that they shouldn't draft another big receiver. Watkins may be better than Evans, but he wouldn't be better for the Bills given their less than accurate QB. It's not like they have Luck. If they did, then I could see picking Watkins. But they don't.

I don't even think they should pick any WR 1st, I'd rather get a LB. But if they do, it should be a big WR or top TE, something they don't currently have.

Edited by PastaJoe