Candidates to replace Marrone next January

BADOLBILZ

This is just for fun of course, but based on what we saw this year I think this team will quit on Marrone if he doesn't get big production from his QB.....read: WIN....next season. Some of you may forgive the faint attempt to stock the QB position this past season but as a player you probably can't appreciate signing Kevin Kolb and then going all eggs in with a very raw EJ Manuel. We can root for the team for decades but NFL careers are short. They aren't going to kill themselves for bad decision makers/people who leave stones unturned. Here is a preliminary list. I think they would probably go with a pro, perhaps a proven pro if available but here are some guys I think will be NFL HC candidates. Please add.

Mike Pettine....logical choice...DC's aren't the order of the day in this era....but it might be the best way to keep continuity. Donnie Henderson for DC.

Mark Helfrich...Oregon. With Mariotta back he should contend for a national championship again and as the main chip off the new block he may get some pro looks.

Adam Gase.....Broncos OC....may take one of the jobs this year, but he may want to wait a year and work on assembling a staff.

Gus Malzahn......Auburn HC......outrageously successful in such a short period of time. Chip Kelly-esque candidate. At the very least he is likely to join Saban in the pay ranks.

Rex Ryan and Tom Coughlin gotta' be thrown in. They will be fired next year if they don't win, but they have past winning track records that might earn the respect of a skeptical veteran Bills team.

Art Briles......Baylor HC.....runs another high powered run-based, vertical passing game offense that might fit the personnel here.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just for fun of course, but based on what we saw this year I think this team will quit on Marrone if he doesn't get big production from his QB.....read: WIN....next season. Some of you may forgive the faint attempt to stock the QB position this past season but as a player you probably can't appreciate signing Kevin Kolb and then going all eggs in with a very raw EJ Manuel. We can root for the team for decades but NFL careers are short. They aren't going to kill themselves for bad decision makers/people who leave stones unturned. Here is a preliminary list. I think they would probably go with a pro, perhaps a proven pro if available but here are some guys I think will be NFL HC candidates. Please add.

Mike Pettine....logical choice...DC's aren't the order of the day in this era....but it might be the best way to keep continuity. Donnie Henderson for DC.

Mark Helfrich...Oregon. With Mariotta back he should contend for a national championship again and as the main chip off the new block he may get some pro looks.

Adam Gase.....Broncos OC....may take one of the jobs this year, but he may want to wait a year and work on assembling a staff.

Gus Malzahn......Auburn HC......outrageously successful in such a short period of time. Chip Kelly-esque candidate. At the very least he is likely to join Saban in the pay ranks.

Rex Ryan and Tom Coughlin gotta' be thrown in. They will be fired next year if they don't win, but they have past winning track records that might earn the respect of a skeptical veteran Bills team.

I like Pettine as a D.C., but I think it is evident that some N.F.L. coaches are excellent coordinators (running a single unit), but lack the ability to be a leader of an entire team. There are additional skills required that Pettine may or may not have.

I am on board with hiring a college coach who is actually a proven winner and innovator. Marrone was neither. Malzahn may be that guy. I'd also be very happy with Rex Ryan as the H.C., though I don't think Coughlin, at his age, would want to coach here.

I'd also be very happy with Rex Ryan as the H.C., though I don't think Coughlin, at his age, would want to coach here.

Maybe Coughlin and Eli would be a package deal. Redemption away from the NY spotlight. Two games against the Patriots. Just a thought. :D

Good post. My only question is, how can Pettine be a candidate if the team gives up on the coach? Wouldn't the players have essentially given up on the entire coaching staff?

Tank the season for Winston and hire FSU's head coach.

The first step to that is doing a Levy/Jauron type gutting by getting rid of Dareus, Stevie, CJ and letting Byrd and Chandler walk. That might do it. Otherwise, there is probably too much talent on this team to prevent Jax and Tennessee from fighting it out for Jameis.

Good post. My only question is, how can Pettine be a candidate if the team gives up on the coach? Wouldn't the players have essentially given up on the entire coaching staff?

I am thinking 7-9, lead the NFL in rushing and pass defense and still miss the playoffs because your QB is 25th-32nd best in the league. That latter part describes the past few seasons of QB play and the first part is very do-able. I hope EJ makes it but.....wheeeeww, going to have to hire the crew of "The Swan" to makeover his mechanical issues. Fugly.

Um... the guy who Peyton tells what to do?

Maybe Coughlin and Eli would be a package deal. Redemption away from the NY spotlight. Two games against the Patriots. Just a thought. :D

Tempting...

I am thinking 7-9, lead the NFL in rushing and pass defense and still miss the playoffs because your QB is 25th-32nd best in the league. That latter part describes the past few seasons of QB play and the first part is very do-able. I hope EJ makes it but.....wheeeeww, going to have to hire the crew of "The Swan" to makeover his mechanical issues. Fugly.

That's a fair scenario. But could the D realistically be that good when the team won't "kill themselves" for the coach. Does the defense care and put in 110% effort every game when the offense doesn't? I'm just finding it hard to believe the D would play all out if they're on the field all game every week.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Darryl Talley would at least kick peoples ass. Crossman would be dead by now.

Crossman will be fine if the team addresses special teams in free agency. Any links to top special teams free agents? :lol:

This would be much easier if any Bills coach ever had a coaching tree to graft a limb from.

A Bills HC with a SB ring for being a HC anywhere in the NFL has never walked that Buffalo sideline. Coughlin would certainly have that going for them.

I don't think any Bills HC search would be complete without some Russ Grimm speculation though.

That's a fair scenario. But could the D realistically be that good when the team won't "kill themselves" for the coach. Does the defense care and put in 110% effort every game when the offense doesn't? I'm just finding it hard to believe the D would play all out if they're on the field all game every week.

Yeah, I doubt it too. But without a QB you are dead in the water. More likely it would be a house cleaning. EJ Manuel has to know that there are dozens of peoples jobs and living arrangements in his hands going into next year if they don't bring in some serious competition.

Art Briles is another guy to add to the list. He has been amazing at Baylor. I would think he would be the #1 option for UT to replace Mack Brown though........it would help Texas and hurt Baylor all at once.

Interesting thread. By January 2015, the new ownership may be here. Unless a miracle happens next season, everyone in the front office and everyone on the coaching staff is gone. Too wide open to predict one way or another... may end up better, may end up worse, but at least there would finally be legitimate hope. I'd like to see a proven pro like Coughlin myself, though he is getting up there in years.

Edited by Rico

Interesting thread. By January 2015, the new ownership may be here. Unless a miracle happens next season, everyone in the front office and everyone on the coaching staff is gone. Too wide open to predict one way or another... may end up better, may end up worse, but at least there would finally be legitimate hope. I'd like to see a proven pro like Coughlin myself, though he is getting up there in years.

It is very early but as someone mentioned in an earlier thread.... it gets late early around here. :thumbsup:

The guy I actually cut some slack this year is Hackett. I think his QB's were worse than they actually looked and he protected them A LOT. The Bills were in games, especially before they started giving half-efforts after the KC game.

I think Hackett wants to run one of these modern high paced, attacking offenses but the QB play was positively not NFL-ready. It was magnified by EJ not being able to offer the threat of the run. That was part of his game and really served to warm him up when he was at FSU. I doubt he ever gets that aspect back, it's just too risky to let him tuck it. He is a big, long-legged target. I think he and Pettine both adapted to what they had to work with but it is hard to do anything with that kind of QB play.

Oh great. I see the board is getting back to the "I don't like the opinion posted and I'm a veteran poster, so I will insult the poster personally" trend again. There are at least 4 such posts in this topic by veteran posters. If you don't like a post, either skip it or debate the point, you do not need to insult the poster. Being a veteran does not mean you have a responsibility to be demeaning and a bully. Dazzle us with your knowledge and brilliance, not with your rudeness, arrogance and demeaning attitude.

Oh great. I see the board is getting back to the "I don't like the opinion posted and I'm a veteran poster, so I will insult the poster personally" trend again. There are at least 4 such posts in this topic by veteran posters. If you don't like a post, either skip it or debate the point, you do not need to insult the poster. Being a veteran does not mean you have a responsibility to be demeaning and a bully. Dazzle us with your knowledge and brilliance, not with your rudeness, arrogance and demeaning attitude.

Agreed.