Question about Buffalo media - mean no disrespect

extrahammer

Is there a fear of asking tough questions? Will the Bills go silent/limit access on reporters that do? Just listened to the press conference and the questions were kinda softballs.

What did you want them to ask today, that they didn't ask?

These kind of threads always amuse me. When a local media person blasts the team (Sullivan, Schoop) there are threads devoted to what a-holes they are. Now, we are complaining that they don't ask enough questions? Or the questions we want answered? I listened to the press conference today, and I thought they asked the appropriate questions. They asked about the special teams coach, about Dareus, about Stevie Johnsons status for next season, if the Bills would consider drafting another QB next season... It seems though, people are upset that they didn't get the answers they wanted...Marrone, Whaley and Brandon are pretty adept at dancing around things....that isn't really on the media. Are they only doing their job if Marrone, Whaley or Brandon loses their cool and blows up at them?

Edited by Buftex

What did you want them to ask today, that they didn't ask?

These kind of threads always amuse me. When a local media person blasts the team (Sullivan, Schoop) there are threads devoted to what a-holes they are. Now, we are complaining that they don't ask enough questions? Or the questions we want answered? I listened to the press conference today, and I thought they asked the appropriate questions. They asked about the special teams coach, about Dareus, about Stevie Johnsons status for next season, if the Bills would consider drafting another QB next season... It seems though, people are upset that they didn't get the answers they wanted...Marrone, Whaley and Brandon are pretty adept at dancing around things....that isn't really on the media. Are they only doing their job if Marrone, Whaley or Brandon loses their cool and blows up at them?

Let me clarify, as stated in the thread topic, I respect the Buffalo media.

Just asking a question out of curiosity. I'm not saying they should have started trolling them. I think you could have legitimately asked questions about missing the playoffs for 14 straight years.

How many opportunities do you get with Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone at the podium together?

uhh, the first question asked was in regards to Brandon's stated objective of transforming the Bills' "tarnished" reputation, and how far they still need to go.

as for missing the playoffs for 14 straight years, i do believe many of those questions have been asked and answered dozens of times over the past month.

as Buftex noted, what questions might we have missed on?

-- EJ's development/injuries. asked.

-- adding quarterbacks, including one in the draft. asked.

-- Stevie Johnson's status. asked twice.

-- Jairus Byrd. asked.

-- run defense. asked twice.

-- staff changes, including special teams. asked.

this isn't watergate. there is no real scandal here. any objective observer of this team understood it was going to take more than one year to turn this franchise around.

to badger for the sake of badgering to satisfy the need for a fan's desire for pound of flesh isn't my job description.

perhaps, you're not satisfied with the front-office's answers. well, that's another issue.

so let me ask a tough question of you: if you're so unhappy with 14 straight seasons of missing the playoffs, why are you still a fan?

jw

uhh, the first question asked was in regards to Brandon's stated objective of transforming the Bills' "tarnished" reputation, and how far they still need to go.

as for missing the playoffs for 14 straight years, i do believe many of those questions have been asked and answered dozens of times over the past month.

-- Jairus Byrd. asked.

this isn't watergate. there is no real scandal here. any objective observer of this team understood it was going to take more than one year to turn this franchise around.

to badger for the sake of badgering to satisfy the need for a fan's desire for pound of flesh isn't my job description.

perhaps, you're not satisfied with the front-office's answers. well, that's another issue.

so let me ask a tough question of you: if you're so unhappy with 14 straight seasons of missing the playoffs, why are you still a fan?

jw

Did you ask about the Samurai?

-- Jairus Byrd. asked.

jw

I'm not a band-wagoner, so I am still a fan of the Buffalo Bills.

Why did no one ask about Crossman's status on the coaching staff, given the fact that he has never been a good special teams coach?

Why is there still a Toronto game, when we lost to a team that plays in a dome and clearly would have had a competitive advantage if it were a real home game? How can Brandon say that the team's priority is winning when the Bills give up a home game every year?

Was this the time to poke Marrone ? I for one think not.

If any one is bummed out more i would be surprised .

MrJasper , you have reasonable question though. I am surprised at the response questioning your fandom .

Let Doug have his mourning period. There is time a plenty to pin him into a corner.

Like ask him about Mario's foot again for fun . Or EJ at 110 for the Pats.

For now let the team have some time to gather their thoughts.

I fun of course.

Why did no one ask about Crossman's status on the coaching staff, given the fact that he has never been a good special teams coach?

Why is there still a Toronto game, when we lost to a team that plays in a dome and clearly would have had a competitive advantage if it were a real home game? How can Brandon say that the team's priority is winning when the Bills give up a home game every year?

Crossman question was asked and while rhe Toronto game is unpopular the Bills have been contracted and paid for the series. The focus of the Bills and of anyone interested in the Bills needs to be on what are they going to do to bring a young QB along or what are they going to do to give themselves alternatives. If it is all bets are on EJ than I guess we wait and see.

Crossman question was asked and while rhe Toronto game is unpopular the Bills have been contracted and paid for the series. The focus of the Bills and of anyone interested in the Bills needs to be on what are they going to do to bring a young QB along or what are they going to do to give themselves alternatives. If it is all bets are on EJ than I guess we wait and see.

What was the response to the Crossman question? I'd love a transcript of the conference if you happen to have one.

Look, if I'm an N.F.L. owner who wants to win, assuming a serious poison pill is not built in, I buyout the Toronto deal in light of the fact that it has cost us wins.

As for E.J., I think he needs to be given more weapons and help, such as a Q.B. coach, for next year. If he doesn't succeed after a full year next year, he may not be the guy, but I do have some faith in him still.

What was the response to the Crossman question? I'd love a transcript of the conference if you happen to have one.

Look, if I'm an N.F.L. owner who wants to win, assuming a serious poison pill is not built in, I buyout the Toronto deal in light of the fact that it has cost us wins.

As for E.J., I think he needs to be given more weapons and help, such as a Q.B. coach, for next year. If he doesn't succeed after a full year next year, he may not be the guy, but I do have some faith in him still.

There are a couple links on the TBD homepage. After yesterday's game he indicated that the team needs a core group of ST players. Today he indicated a difference of opinion between he & Hilliard. He has to meet with coaches and administration, but no other changes at this minute. He was questioned about continuing to kick to Blount on GR. You can catch that on Murphy's podcast.

-- Jairus Byrd. asked.

jw

Thanks for asking my question in regards to adding a QB.

Questions about Crossman and the Toronto series were asked...you can go to the Bills website and listen for yourself. In brief, on Crossman "we will review all aspects of the franchise, players, coaches, etc etc" On Toronto series: "This is under reveiw"

Maybe people should just listen to the damn PC before assuming all these questions weren't asked?

in my mind, the toronto series being "under review" is a copout. What is being reviewed and how long could it possibly take? Does someone have a 1-6 on one piece of paper, and a 4-3 on another in front of them? I know there are contractual things that need to be ironed out, but I work in contracts and it is normally plain and simple/ black and white. I also want to know why this is an issue now and not reviewed under the previous evaluation a year ago when they could have not entered the contract.

Same type of thing with Byrd. What is going on with that offer they said may be coming? Was it there last year, and if not, why now and not before he was able to have a negative influence early in the season and on some young players?

Im not sure if it was brought up, but I would to see what they plan on spending in 2014 in relation to the cap.

Questions about Crossman and the Toronto series were asked...you can go to the Bills website and listen for yourself. In brief, on Crossman "we will review all aspects of the franchise, players, coaches, etc etc" On Toronto series: "This is under reveiw"

Maybe people should just listen to the damn PC before assuming all these questions weren't asked?

You're correct, but no one pressed them for non-b.s. answers. It is the responsibility of the media to try to elicit an honest response instead of the b.s. defense given of Crossman and the Toronto series. Lay out the failures in a question: i.e., ask in response to Marrone's answer regarding Crossman, "Explain why Crossman deserves to keep his job despite the numerous failures on special teams this year and Crossman's consistently poor units. What has he done well with the special teams unit that merits keeping the job?"

As for the Toronto series, I would expect the media to ask, in detail, how the Toronto game could be justified when we played a dome team at "home," a considerable factor in the loss. Ask the Bills if they honestly believe there is no competitive advantage lost by playing in Buffalo, and if a team can really say it wants to win if they voluntarily give up a home game.

That's why I respect the tri-state media. They are relentless and won't take b.s. answers. Is it hard on the coaches? Sure, but this practice leads to more accountability. Buffalo media needs to improve on this. There is no excuse for Crossman's having a job.

in my mind, the toronto series being "under review" is a copout. What is being reviewed and how long could it possibly take? Does someone have a 1-6 on one piece of paper, and a 4-3 on another in front of them? I know there are contractual things that need to be ironed out, but I work in contracts and it is normally plain and simple/ black and white. I also want to know why this is an issue now and not reviewed under the previous evaluation a year ago when they could have not entered the contract.

Same type of thing with Byrd. What is going on with that offer they said may be coming? Was it there last year, and if not, why now and not before he was able to have a negative influence early in the season and on some young players?

Im not sure if it was brought up, but I would to see what they plan on spending in 2014 in relation to the cap.

I agree 100%. If the media wants to be taken seriously, press Brandon/Marrone after they give copout/b.s. answers like this. The team has talent, but we fail at the small things that winning franchises do (hold bad coaches accountable, do not tolerate cronyism if a coach/staff member is incompetent, etc.).

Hi John, first, let me state again, I have a great respect for many in the Buffalo media, including you. I know you guys work extremely hard, long hours, and genuinely love to write. I'm not asking as an insult, I'm asking because I wanted to know.

The question of the 14 straight playoff-less seasons wasn't a "fan mentality" question. It was a legitimate, end of the season, Pres/CEO, GM, HC at the podium question. I felt those questions should have been asked and given more context. The fact that it wasn't pressed on - to me - seemed a bit incomplete. I feel more of those questions should have been asked at a "Season Wrap Up Press Conference," - not after a Bucs game or whenever it was asked.

If my question invoked conspiracy theories, it wasn't intended to, but you and I both know teams will easily play 'the media is against us' card.

As far as me being a fan during 14 years of not making the playoffs, I'll ignore it because I didn't ask my original question out of emotion. :thumbsup:

-- Jairus Byrd. asked.

jw

Edited by MrJasper

Hi John, first, let me state again, I have a great respect for many in the Buffalo media, including you. I know you guys work extremely hard, long hours, and genuinely love to write. I'm not asking as an insult, I'm asking because I wanted to know.

The question of the 14 straight playoff-less seasons wasn't a "fan mentality" question. It was a legitimate, end of the season, Pres/CEO, GM, HC at the podium question. I felt those questions should have been asked and given more context. The fact that it wasn't pressed on - to me - seemed a bit incomplete. I feel more of those questions should have been asked at a "Season Wrap Up Press Conference," - not after a Bucs game or whenever it was asked.

If my question invoked conspiracy theories, it wasn't intended to, but you and I both know teams will easily play 'the media is against us' card.

As far as me being a fan during 14 years of not making the playoffs, I'll ignore it because I didn't ask my original question out of emotion. :thumbsup:

What question, in regards to the 14 years of not making the playoffs should they have asked? I am pretty sure Brandon, as well as Marrone and Whaley realize that the team hasn't been to the playoffs for 14 years. I am pretty sure they are all disappointed that they didn't make the playoffs. I am fairly certain that they realize that fans are disappointed that they haven't been to the playoffs in 14 years. What question, in regards to this, are you looking to have answered? What is the "legitimate question" that should have been asked?

Edited by Buftex