Is Your Opinion Of EJ Tainted By The Fact That He Was A Round 1 Pick?

PolishDave

Who's dropping to the Bills? Quick, go check who Kiper's top QBs are and get back to us. Then you can spend the rest of the night convincing us how that QB is such a better prospect.

As for the 4th round grades that EJ received? Not from any scout I've talked to. Oh, let me guess, McShay and Kiper must have said "4th round." Or was it Greg Cosell? Were any of them the same ones who said Nassib was the best in the class last year? Or was that just Cosell. In actual circles, EJ was considered a late 1st round talent who would need a couple seasons to develop. But don't let that get in the way of your agenda.

GO BILLS!!!

Can I be in your circle?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Everything is relative.

Just like CJ has been a bit disappointing relative to his draft status, as well as Dareus in some sense. If any of the three were drafted in the second round, I'd be pleased as piss.

That's interesting. If EJ were a second round pick, or better yet, the 4th round pick that all the "experts" pegged him as, what would you be pleased as piss about, exactly? Seriously, I want to know what positives would be missing just because he was a mid-1st round pick but would still be there if he were picked at 41.

GO BILLS!!!

If any of the three were drafted in the second round, I'd be pleased as piss.

C'mon man.... Is urine really that pleasing?...lol

So you are admitting you are a slave to viewpoint of the one single person in each draft that is most optimistic about each player. Wow. That is a hell of an admission. Think about that. All a player's draft position is reflective of is the one person's opinion who was most optimistic about that player.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking you for it. A lot of people won't admit they are biased. I am just surprised you openly admit it. I have a feeling that most people won't especially the ones that normally base their arguments on draft position of players. (Which by the way seems to happen a lot on this forum)

C'mon man.... Is urine really that pleasing?...lol

So you are admitting you are a slave to viewpoint of the one single person in each draft that is most optimistic about each player. Wow. That is a hell of an admission. Think about that. All a player's draft position is reflective of is the one person's opinion who was most optimistic about that player.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking you for it. A lot of people won't admit they are biased. I am just surprised you openly admit it. I have a feeling that most people won't especially the ones that normally base their arguments on draft position of players. (Which by the way seems to happen a lot on this forum)

Everyone is biased and everyone with a brain knows they are. You don't need confessions.

Great topic.

The bottom line is that EJ being a first round pick means more of a leash and time to develop for him. I also think he gets more of a pass on criticism from the media and fans in the short term, but will get absolutely blasted in years 2 and 3 absent huge improvement.

What I find weird is the analysis of Thad and Tuel. Tuel was about to get run out of town for the KC game, where I thought for being a UDFA playing his first start, he did remarkably well. He was judged by fans and media more harshly than Thad and EJ, and I can't understand why that was the case.

EJ's release, pocket awareness, and work ethic all mean: it doens't matter where we picked him, I want to see us give him a chance to develop a little.

If he was a UDFA, but I saw that release? I'd want the same thing: give him a chance to compete. If I was walking by Delaware Park, and I saw a release like EJ's? I'd pay the guy to let me represent him, and I'd get a very nice return on my money. That's before I know about the awareness and the work ethic.

You can't teach what EJ has with that arm. You simply cannot. It's like the difference between a Randy Johnson...and everybody else.

So, no, draft position doesn't matter. I've seen EJ throw 50 yard bombs on a line and hit our WRs in stride...multiple times this season. There's elite level QB potential there....the only question now is: what does he do in the off-season, which will inform what he does in the first 6 games of next year...and that will tell us where we really are with EJ.

EJ's release, pocket awareness, and work ethic all mean: it doens't matter where we picked him, I want to see us give him a chance to develop a little.

If he was a UDFA, but I saw that release? I'd want the same thing: give him a chance to compete. If I was walking by Delaware Park, and I saw a release like EJ's? I'd pay the guy to let me represent him, and I'd get a very nice return on my money. That's before I know about the awareness and the work ethic.

You can't teach what EJ has with that arm. You simply cannot. It's like the difference between a Randy Johnson...and everybody else.

So, no, draft position doesn't matter. I've seen EJ throw 50 yard bombs on a line and hit our WRs in stride...multiple times this season. There's elite level QB potential there....the only question now is: what does he do in the off-season, which will inform what he does in the first 6 games of next year...and that will tell us where we really are with EJ.

But people who are smart say that EJ is a fourth rounder, except for sometimes they're not smart and say that Aaron Maybin is going to be great.

Manuel was considered 4th round talent by most. This draft is significantly better at QB than last year.

Yet several "draftniks" have already said that there will be no QB in the 2014 draft that will be in their top 15, or even 25 players available (save maybe Bridgewater). The Bills will be picking 9th or 10th. So there won't be a better prospect available to them. I recall hearing on ESPN radio two days prior to the 2013 draft that EJ manuel was quickly moving up many teams draft boards. So I don't think he was considered a 4th round pick by most. The 2014 draft is widely viewed as not as strong at QB as originally thought. There is definitely no Luck type prospect there.

What I find weird is the analysis of Thad and Tuel. Tuel was about to get run out of town for the KC game, where I thought for being a UDFA playing his first start, he did remarkably well. He was judged by fans and media more harshly than Thad and EJ, and I can't understand why that was the case.

Tuel was perhaps judged more harshly because he committed a more obvious and absolutely game changing blunder than Lewis or Manuel have. They would be judged just as harshly(maybe more for Manuel) if they had thrown that INT in that situation.

That's interesting. If EJ were a second round pick, or better yet, the 4th round pick that all the "experts" pegged him as, what would you be pleased as piss about, exactly? Seriously, I want to know what positives would be missing just because he was a mid-1st round pick but would still be there if he were picked at 41.

GO BILLS!!!

If he was picked in the 4th round, where he should have been, then we'd have used a mid round pick to get an adequate back up qb which is all that EJ will ever be.

I don't see what's so difficult about having expectations of first round picks. I expect them to be good NFL starters the first season, and pro bowlers going forward.

EJ is a victim of being a stretch pick, because we needed a QB. If he was a 4th round pick, my expectation would have been "he might not even make the team".

Also, let's not forget that the Bills scored a major coup in this draft by turning one top pick into Alonso and Manuel.

Here's hoping.

A good, but strange move indeed.

Pretend if you will that you were the GM of the Bills in 2013. You are sitting at #8 and there is a QB that you are extremely high on. Or, you are less sure but expect him to be a top 15 qb in the NFL. Would you trade down and risk losing him to 7 other teams? I surely would not.

This makes me wonder what they would have done if another team did draft EJ. From where I sit, I am thinking that they rolled the dice because they had another qb with a similar rating. I can't see any other reason to trade down, but we ARE talking about the Bills. :)

So to answer the OP, I readily admit to having higher expectations from first round picks. Professionals get paid a lot of money to make these decisions. Wrt EJ, his draft slot does raise my expectations but less so because of the above.

He played about as I expected. Unless they're an elite, top 3 pick, it usually takes a season or two for a QB prospect to start playing at a high level. As it stands, I thought he played decently under the circumstances and maybe a little better than average for a rookie 1st round QB. I don't know that he'll ever be elite, but I think he has a very realistic chance at being a solid starter in another season or two. We'll see, I suppose.

That said, a developmental QB in the mid/late rounds this year wouldn't be a bad investment in case Manuel doesn't turn the corner next year.