spygate 2.0 in Buffalo

billsgpr88

HAHAHAHA!

Awesome. Finally...the Miami/Buffalo thing shows signs of moving back to where it's supposed to be.

This Pats thing is a passing abberation in my lifetime. It will fizzle away like a bad fart soon enough, given their drafts.

I'm not sure that I want to get back to Miami/Buffalo Bryan Cox Vs. Carwell Gardner levels...but...I'll take this for sure.

This is like one dugout accusing the other dugout of stealing signs.

1) It's not cheating

2) Other teams are ALWAYS going to try to get in a rhythm with your cadence

Baseball analogy aside, this is largely a function of a young quarterback who has so much on his mind that he doesn't yet have the depth of expertise to keep the opponent off-balance.

A dolphins fan was talking to me about his at the game. He said that the lg would tap the center to tell him to snap the ball. I have seen a lot of teams do this including the bills(not very much recently) I never understood why they would do this because it allows the d to know when you will snap the ball.

It's just like when the starter in a track event says:

"On your mark"

"Set"

The center still holds the key. He might snap the ball immediately upon being tapped by the guard on one play and then wait a 3-4 count on the next play. The center can still mix up the snap.

In that sense it really doesn't tip off the defense that much.

The main thing about a silent count for the offense is that it is an attempt at reducing the disadvantage of crowd noise at the same time, conceding any advantage the offense has from knowing the snap count. It's a coping/damage control tactic.

Comprehensive multi-link blurb by PFT:

http://profootballta...new-snap-count/

Left tackle Bryant McKinnie believes the Bills defense knew the snap count.

“They were getting [a jump]. I feel like they were getting a rhythm with our cadence,” McKinnie said Tuesday, via James Walker of ESPN.com. “Me being around, I knew some things that we can do to help counter that. So I definitely brought that to my offensive line coach.”

For some reason, McKinnie didn’t alert offensive line coach Jim Turner to the problem until the game ended.

If it’s a problem, it’s not a new one. After a Monday night loss to the Buccaneers in November, left guard Nate Garner said he believed Tampa Bay game-planned the snap count.

Actually, the issue possibly dates back to 2012. Texans defensive end J.J. Watt declared that he picked up the Miami snap count from watching HBO’sHard Knocks.

HAHAHAHA!

Awesome. Finally...the Miami/Buffalo thing shows signs of moving back to where it's supposed to be.

This Pats thing is a passing abberation in my lifetime. It will fizzle away like a bad fart soon enough, given their drafts.

I'm not sure that I want to get back to Miami/Buffalo Bryan Cox Vs. Carwell Gardner levels...but...I'll take this for sure.

not sure if this was intentional, but great word play :lol:

Edited by billsgpr88

Lol if the dolphins are that naive that they don't change their snap count playing against the leagues top rush defense then that's totally their fault. Every team studies the snap count, I mean why wouldn't you change it up? McKinney is just trying to save his job because he's fat and slow as molasses in January.

What a lame excuse for getting your butt kicked. Why can't he just admit the Bills cleaned his clock. The Bills turned him inside out , upside down, side ways, and then spit him out. No other explanation makes sense. It's just that simple. What a big cry baby :thumbsup:

Edited by littlelouie

A dolphins fan was talking to me about his at the game. He said that the lg would tap the center to tell him to snap the ball. I have seen a lot of teams do this including the bills(not very much recently) I never understood why they would do this because it allows the d to know when you will snap the ball.

A team can/will alter the count (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi...) between when the guard alerts the center and when he snaps the ball. What baffles me in all of this is the fact that McKinney felt the need to take it to the coaches. If the defense is jumping the snap repeatedly then you alter the count. Not sure why the fins wouldn't.

HAHAHAHA!

I loved the Bryan Cox days, he made it fun to watch those games . . .

Agreed. Along the same lines, in the college game, Tommy Rees and Joe Licata would clap their hands to snap the ball. And they didn't seem to even switch it up with a dummy slap now and then. Great idea fellas.

That Miami Dolphins O line simply sucks, and when they get behind in points any defense would pin their ears back and go all out after the QB, just like the Bills did.

Any decent, smart QB that noticed his line is getting eaten every play would change up the snap count, cadences to draw the defense off sides on his own. NFL 101.

I can recall talking with a Bills player back in the 90's and Dolphin QB Dan Marino had so many tells in his play that the defense knew before the snap whether the Phins were going to run or pass. The Bills had so much film on Danny that he was their B word... then it also helps to have Bruce Smith.

A team can/will alter the count (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi...) between when the guard alerts the center and when he snaps the ball. What baffles me in all of this is the fact that McKinney felt the need to take it to the coaches. If the defense is jumping the snap repeatedly then you alter the count. Not sure why the fins wouldn't.

thats what i was going to say - that he commented that he had to bring it to the coaches seems like an indictment on them, not on anything the bills did as the thread originally implied.

he commented that he had to bring it to the coaches seems like an indictment on them

every team has a talented roster with a handful of exceptional players.. the differences between winning and losing is preparedness.. prepared to take advantage of an opponent's tendencies.. prepared to disguise your own.. prepared for the environment in which you'll be playing.

not anticipating the additional advantage you're giving a dominant pass rush, by not staggering your QB's tempo, should have been high on their checklist. it never ceases to amaze me how such easily correctable errors aren't left on the practice field - especially at the pro level.. these guys aren't volunteering, or pressed for time.. it's their job. but like any other profession, some excel. those who pay attention to detail win. nothing is left to fate. they make their own luck through hard work.