This team is better than past teams.

BmarvB

1st time head coach, rookie QB & OC, and they're not going to finish with a losing record within the division. They also have a shot at a winning record within the division. It's definitely something to build on. I like where this team is going - especially if they can beat the Patriots on the road or take it down to the last play like they did in the first game.

I wonder how much better this years team would have been if Chan Gailey was the OC instead of the head coach.... IJS.

Have faith Bills Nation, this ain't the team of past head coaches, they're going to be serious contenders once the offense catches up to the defense..

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are pretty much the same team they've been. The offense took a big step back but the defense improved which is basically the exact opposite it was under Gailey so overall as a team they haven't really improved

They still can't win on the road losing to three 4-11 teams and another soon to be 4-11 team in Atlanta at Toronto which is basically another road game. That's 4 losses to teams with a combined record of 16-44

The talent has improved but I have major concerns about EJ and the offensive staff

Edited by Max997

1st time head coach, rookie QB & OC, and they're not going to finish with a losing record within the division. They also have a shot at a winning record within the division. It's definitely something to build on. I like where this team is going - especially if they can beat the Patriots on the road or take it down to the last play like they did in the first game.

I wonder how much better this years team would have been if Chan Gailey was the OC instead of the head coach.... IJS.

Have faith Bills Nation, this ain't the team of past head coaches, they're going to be serious contenders once the offense catches up to the defense..

Stop it. Being positive and looking for good is demented. Please return to wallowing in misery and self loathing/pity so as not to confuse every one about proper bills fan protocol. .

They are pretty much the same team they've been

The offense took a big step back but the defense improved which is basically the exact opposite it was under Gailey so overall as a team they haven't really improved

The talent has improved but I have major concerns about EJ and the offensive staff

If we can win at New England next week, I don't think there's any way you can spin it. We will be 4-2 in the division, a better record than any years under Gailey, road win against Brady, presumably still leading the league in sacks and top 3 in interceptions.

No place for apologetics around here my friend. People are tired of others making excuses for things in this organization. No excuses about experience, what they've had to work with, or anything at all for that matter. This team should be 12-2 right now with home field sewn up, Marrone should be coach of the year lock if he had a brain made out of anything more than straw, and EJ should've broken Brady's TD record by week 12. :rolleyes:

Edited by H2o

This team is better.

If you remove QB and account for existing injuries, the Bills have more overall talent than New England right now.

I don't know if Buffalo will win next week but I know that they will be physical and that Brady will get hit. We need to raise the level at QB to become a consistent winner - everyone knows that. But this team is better than in years past and they are not far away.

While I don't necessarily disagree...at the end of the day, until it turns into more wins than losses, it really matters not...And Bills Nation has had plenty of "hope" periods over these past 14 seasons only to see the team underachieve for a million different reasons...

When they break this Playoffs drought the Bills will be a better team...Until then, they're not, because the results that matter are wins...Nothing else matters at all...And the thought of being serious contenders next year is just another "hope..." Maybe this time it will be accurate...Maybe...But I'm not holding my breath... B-)

They are pretty much the same team they've been. The offense took a big step back but the defense improved which is basically the exact opposite it was under Gailey so overall as a team they haven't really improved

They still can't win on the road losing to three 4-11 teams and another soon to be 4-11 team in Atlanta at Toronto which is basically another road game. That's 4 losses to teams with a combined record of 16-44

In 2012, they averaged 342.9 yards/ game and scored 21.5 points/game. This year, they average 334.5 yards/ game and 21.3 points/ game. I guess 8 yards less/ game and 0.2 points/ game is a major setback for some.

Furthermore, in games EJ has started, they averaged 22.3 points/ game and only scored less than 20 points 2 out of 10 games, 20%. Last year, they scored less than 20 points in 8 out of 16 games, 50%. Your point is not valid at all.

No, they're not better. It's not like the Bills have been unlucky, they're a legit boring 6-10 team this year.

Offensively, they're significant worse than Gailey while their defense improved.

They're pretty much at the same level as the Jauron teams. Above average defense, lousy offense, no QB, team that irrationally loves their coach.

Well, we have a chance to be 7-9... but in all likelihood we finish the season at 6-10. Same record doesn't mean "better" no matter what the moral victories are.

Defense has progressed, Offense has regressed. Same ole Bills story, really.

Please refer to my earlier post and explain how the offense has regressed. This is based on nothing.

No, they're not better. It's not like the Bills have been unlucky, they're a legit boring 6-10 team this year.

Offensively, they're significant worse than Gailey while their defense improved.

They're pretty much at the same level as the Jauron teams. Above average defense, lousy offense, no QB, team that irrationally loves their coach.

Why do you follow this team.....all your posts are a wet blanket...being a fan is supposed to be fun....if you are so down on them why wouldn't you just forget about them and come back when you percieve something positive in them?

OK naysayers, we'll revisit this when the Bills are contending for a wild card spot next season. As I recall last season, the D sucked badly, this year, they are much much better. The offense is a rebuild but they're going to add to it, and with a season of experience for the newbies, oh yeah, they're going to contend for a playoff spot right up to game 16. Patriots may not be ready to give up the title yet, but the gap is closing. One more draft like the last one ought to do it.

All you fair weather fans will be right back on the bandwagon next year next to the diehards when we're back in the playoffs.

In 2012, they averaged 342.9 yards/ game and scored 21.5 points/game. This year, they average 334.5 yards/ game and 21.3 points/ game. I guess 8 yards less/ game and 0.2 points/ game is a major setback for some.

Furthermore, in games EJ has started, they averaged 22.3 points/ game and only scored less than 20 points 2 out of 10 games, 20%. Last year, they scored less than 20 points in 8 out of 16 games, 50%. Your point is not valid at all.

totally agree. They've managed to essentially replicate last years offense with a rookie QB, as well as a carousel at the position due to injuries. I think this shows the coaching is actually quite good.

I'm not sure how you see the offense as significantly worse. They exchanged Fitz for Manuel, which this season was a regression. But with far more potential upside. They have what may well end being a viable backup QB in Lewis. The OL is slightly worse. The WR depth is better. RB is the same. OC is a sizeable downgrade from Gailey. As someone pointed out earlier, statistically they are the same as last year on the offensive side of the ball and that makes sense when you look at all of the players and coaches.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Please refer to my earlier post and explain how the offense has regressed. This is based on nothing.

Compared to 2012, yes, the offense is about the same on average. Defenses started figuring out Chan, and we had (still have) some big holes with talent.

I'm not a huge Hackett hater, but just watching the games, it seems to me that our offense struggles to move the ball compared to Chan's offenses.

But ok, let's say the Offense is the same, and the Defense is better...

But our record stays the same.

Does that really mean the team is "better"?

---

Checking out some extended stats for my own curiosity, not really for arguments sake, pulled from PFR:

2012:

YPP: 5.6 (13th)

TO L: 34 (28th)

FD: 301 (20th)

SC%: 30.0 (23rd)

TO%: 17.4 (29th)

Starting Position: 27.3 (17th)

Average Drive Time: 2:32 (20th)

Points per Drive: 1.66 (20th)

2012:

YPP: 4.8 (29th)

TO L: 27 (10th)

FD: 282 (23rd) (average*16 comes out to 301, btw)

SC%: 29.6 (24th)

TO%: 12.8 (14th)

Starting Position: 27.0 (23rd)

Average Drive Time: 2:08 (31st)

Points per Drive: 1.46 (25th)

Seems we don't move the ball as well, but also don't turn it over as much. Hopefully we can get things moving more consistently next year. Also we should probably work on time of possession to give our D some better rest.

Please kind Sir, do not bring your logic, facts, truths here, for they are not welcome. That is all.