This team is better than past teams.

BmarvB

An inability to stay on the field is a regression. Maybe not a regression of talent and a very small sample of one year but the only sample we have. Ej may never miss another game to injury in his career but at this point missing one third of the season/preseason to multiple injuries is troublesome. And since the QB and OC are both rookies was a regression not the realistic expectation? I do not discount the possibility next years QB play and playcalling will improve (in fact I expect/hope both to improve) but I refuse to use next year's potential to rose-color this years performance. As I said, I can't argue the numbers you put up, I can only express what I have seen. Inconsisent playcalling, QB unavailability and O-line holes are all steps back to me.

Our average time of possession has been 1:20 less than last year.....so not much difference there. And our average number of 1st downs per game is exactly the same as last year.

I think the main aspect(statistically) where we have regressed is 3rd down conversions. 4.7% less than last season. This however basically means that out of 20 attempt we succeed one less time than last seasons offense.

I understand the perception that our offense has regressed. I watch the games & I feel the same way. But the reality is that the offense has overall been performing at a similar level to the one last season. I personally put this down to the erratic nature of this years O. We see a bunch of very poorly executed drives(3 & out, or minimal yards) and perhaps tend to focus on them......neglecting to realize that in nearly every game there are usually several long scoring drives......though even these often have bonehead plays involved.

Quite honestly, I have come to think very highly of Hackett. Erratic rookie(and multiple) QBs, injured RBs, injured WRs, turnstile LG(earlier in the season)......and we still find a way to move the ball down the field in most games and score.

Run CJ up the guts on 1st down for little gain again, and again, and again. Oh how frustrating it is to watch. But maybe Hackett doesn't care about flashy stats. Maybe it is all part of a well structured plan to enable those long scoring drives we regularly see(though seldom seem to remember). Maybe.....with non erratic QB play with a relatively healthy support cast.....maybe those ugly looking plays will become far less frequent, and not only will we remember the long successful drives, but they might just come with more regularity turning us from a mediocre offense into a top 10 offense. Maybe.

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference with this team from last years isn't necessarily on the stat sheet and on-field outcomes. On offense, that's largely been neutral (huge improvement on defense).

The difference is that rather than the outcomes and performance being brought through players and coaches that largely were at their ceilings (Fitz, Gailey, Stevie), we have players that are presumably at the beginning of their learning curves. In other words, the potential for improvement is much greater with this team than others. It's reasonable to expect EJ, Glenn, CJ, Woods and Goodwin to take big steps next year. I'd also expect to see improvements from Hackett and Marrone. Last years team was totally different. Gailey, Fizt, and Stevie, the three most impt people in the 2012 offense, were not going to markedly improve.

So, I'm hopeful for next year.

Comparing last years offense to this years is like comparing a high school runner to an adult runner that have the same 40 times. The HS runner is going to get faster, the adult runner is at their ceiling.

Edited by dubs

1st time head coach, rookie QB & OC, and they're not going to finish with a losing record within the division. They also have a shot at a winning record within the division. It's definitely something to build on. I like where this team is going - especially if they can beat the Patriots on the road or take it down to the last play like they did in the first game.

I wonder how much better this years team would have been if Chan Gailey was the OC instead of the head coach.... IJS.

Have faith Bills Nation, this ain't the team of past head coaches, they're going to be serious contenders once the offense catches up to the defense..

Dunno why the Chan Gailey love, I wouldn't want him as the Bills OC for various reasons. He probably wouldn't have run the ball nearly as much, and he did nothing to help Fitz with his development, as Fitz himself stated.

Hackett would have looked so much better had that O line been upgraded properly after Levitre walked. Besides, like you mentioned he is a rookie and hopefully will get better.

If EJ develops properly he has the arm to actually make use of Goodwin & Graham every game. The kid only played in 10 games so far and is 4-6, not bad for a rookie with a not so good O line when on the road.

the defense Sunday was a championship caliber team or maybe it was because they played the Fish.

If EJ can stay healthy the O can be much improved

The question is that can they play at that same level on a consistent basis.

Points per game may be the most ridiculous stat posted in favor of this offense. How many turnovers does our defense create in the red zone that we turn into a 3 and field goal? With our turnover margins, a solid O should be averaging 30 a game. Remember how we picked off Flacco twice in the red zone and came away with 6 points total? Way to go offense, you didn't fumble the snap!

Anyone thinking this offense holds a candle to Gailey's regime is insane. The ceiling is high, but we were better last year.

To paraphrase Bill Burr, "you get this idea in your head, go to "I'm right.com" and regurgitate a bunch of statistics."

Edited by FireChan

2013 will end up as the "what if" season...what if Gilmore didn't break his wrist, what if EJ didn't have the three set backs. Do we beat NE if healthy, Cleveland and the Jets...maybe Cinci? I think the defense has figured itself out...now the offense needs to catch up.