Drop Marrone, make Pettine the new HC

billsgpr88

By far the best coach for the Bills this year, and I would say he's probably the hottest coordinator in the league right now. Leading the league in sacks and interceptions, this D has bailed out the underachieving offense the entire season. I would take him as the HC over Marrone any day

Great idea. Let's just fire every coach that can't produce a winning record. Who cares if they've coached one year. They don't go above .500 fire em, then bring the next guy, or girl, in. That'll get this franchise back to winning. :rolleyes:

We held the dolphins to 0 points and 100 yards of total offense (half of which came on one play from the backup qb). If you don't think that effort got every owner and gm's attention then you are crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if Pettine's name comes up for HC vacancies this offseason and then if our defense is this good again next year then it's a done deal - he will be gone.

It's about consistency.

I have yet to see that from the Bills defense this year. They certainly had their best performance yesterday, but that doesn't absolve them from some pretty terrible performances. The pass rush and turnovers have been nice this year but the run defense still leaves a bit to be desired and there have been some terrible plays in 3rd and long situations.

I'm not ready to declare them world beaters just yet but it was certainly a great defensive performance against the Dolphins

Great idea. Let's just fire every coach that can't produce a winning record. Who cares if they've coached one year. They don't go above .500 fire em, then bring the next guy, or girl, in. That'll get this franchise back to winning. :rolleyes:

Exactly! We need to keep a coaching staff for 4-5 years if we ever want to have a playoff team. Marrone is doing fine with the talent and injuries he's endured. 4 QB's in one year. No one wins with that problem. He hired Pettine. That's what good head coaches do. I'm not sold on Hackett but I see Marrone keeping him another year as well.

Well, if he gets enough attention as I think he well (and, imho, he should), the ultimatum will be to promote him to HC here or let him walk. And after watching last year's D compared to this, I think it's more than reasonable to say he's as valuable as any player on the team, if not more. As good as the D has been, it still could have been better if the offense sustained drives and didn't give up the 45-second three and outs that we saw so often earlier in the season. He's clearly on another level in understanding the game compared to Marrone and Hackett, and to me the Bills should be absolutely DESPERATE to keep him around for a long time. If that means promoting him to HC, I think that would only improve the team.

We held the dolphins to 0 points and 100 yards of total offense (half of which came on one play from the backup qb). If you don't think that effort got every owner and gm's attention then you are crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if Pettine's name comes up for HC vacancies this offseason and then if our defense is this good again next year then it's a done deal - he will be gone.

How about when your D gets run over by Tampa?

PTR

By far the best coach for the Bills this year, and I would say he's probably the hottest coordinator in the league right now. Leading the league in sacks and interceptions, this D has bailed out the underachieving offense the entire season. I would take him as the HC over Marrone any day

It appears not only haven't you watched any units coached by other coordinators but you haven't really paid attention to any Bills' road games.

I've always felt that the quality of a coach could be--in part--pretty accurately gauged by how they play against a team the second time they face them in a given season; it shows how well they learn (from both mistakes and success).

The Bills have faced two teams for a second time this year: the Jets, to whom they lost a close game on the road, and Miami, against whom they won a close game on the road.

In those two re-mathces, the Bills are 2-0, winning by a combined score of 56-14 while out-gaining their opponents by a combined total of 703 offensive yards to 370. Their turnover differential in these two games is +5.

Is it okay if we hang onto Marrone for a little while?

Edited by thebandit27

I've always felt that the quality of a coach could be--in part--pretty accurately gauged by how they play against a team the second time they face them in a given season; it shows how well they learn (from both mistakes and success).

The Bills have faced two teams for a second time this year: the Jets, to whom they lost a close game on the road, and Miami, against whom they won a close game on the road.

In those two re-mathces, the Bills are 2-0, winning by a combined score of 56-14 while out-gaining their opponents by a combined total of 703 offensive yards to 370. Their turnover differential in these two games is +5.

Is it okay if we hang onto Marrone for a little while?

I agree. Let's keep in mind that Hacket had Thad to run the offense in 2 of the division wins. Who was playing wide receiver in the 4th quarter yesterday? You are so right about these divisional games. A win next week would make my season on so many levels. Go Bills!