Lewis to start / Manuel out

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, as a fan, I expect to be able to believe the coach when he says that he's 110% certain of something.

If you don't care, just say so; that's fine.

Point is, he could just as easily have said he didn't know; to go as far as he did and now have to back down from it makes him appear silly IMO

Agree.

it is really weird to have a QB finish a game, then miss two full weeks. on top of that the coach is 110% sure he will play the closer, and your starting qb has not spoken to the media. it all just seems odd

Agree again.

Management knows EJ isn't the guy. They are basically benching him to save face until the draft, where they'll take a top round QB and call it a competition.

Oooh FireChan, you so smart.

If that was the case then I don't think Marrone would have gone out of his way to talk (in his comments about EJ missing this game) about how good it is going to be to have their quarterback get this offseason to rest, get healthy and to come back next year.

We shall see.

it is really weird to have a QB finish a game, then miss two full weeks. on top of that the coach is 110% sure he will play the closer, and your starting qb has not spoken to the media. it all just seems odd

I really want to believe Marrone is protecting EJ. I guarantee EJ would play if he could. But look at the Mike Shanahan & RG3 mess this year. RG3 was never fully healthy this year after wrecking his knee on that awful field. Marrone probably doesn't want that situation to happen with us next year. And RG3 got hurt in a playoff game. This game in the big scheme of things is meaningless for us.

110% does not get you what it used to!

I give 110% Mr. Trump!

(you have to watch the apprentice to get this)

I really want to believe Marrone is protecting EJ. I guarantee EJ would play if he could. But look at the Mike Shanahan & RG3 mess this year. RG3 was never fully healthy this year after wrecking his knee on that awful field. Marrone probably doesn't want that situation to happen with us next year. And RG3 got hurt in a playoff game. This game in the big scheme of things is meaningless for us.

RG3 knee injury was a lot worse I believe. I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

i want to believe the same thing as well, because i want to believe the bills found their guy at QB. all of the above, plus the talk about making sure the team is in a position to win...

it's just all odd to me

Thad has a 2-2 record as a Bills starter and his passer rating is nearly identical to EJ's (.1 higher, in fact). As for our chances against the Pats, I don't really care who starts. Right now, Thad's about as good as EJ.

But when I think about next year, I want EJ to start for the game time experience.

RG3 knee injury was a lot worse I believe. I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison.

Incorrect, it is exactly an apples to apples comparison. RG3 sparined his LCL, same as Manuel, on December 10th. It was given a grad 1 sprain, so not that bad. Then he came back too early for the playoff game on Jan 3rd and tore his ACL and LCL.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8733526&src=desktop

So he rested for about 3 weeks and it still wasn't enough.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I give 110% Mr. Trump!

(you have to watch the apprentice to get this)

Playoff game vs. meaningless regular season game. The idea is not to get Manuel's knee that much worse. I really wanted to see EJ but in the big picture, it's about next year. He needs to show improvement and most importantly, stay healthy. I hope a full offseason working with the coaches & receivers can lead to a big jump next year.

I understamd this sentiment, and in many ways can agree with it. It's really not a good move to risk further injury to your potential franchise player in a "meaningless" game. However...

It seems all season long, the coaches have been protecting EJ. They've dumbed down the offense; they're calling easy plays to execute; they're pulling him to avoid further injury. Have we ever had such a fragile franchise QB? Someone that has to be continually protected and babied throughout his rookie year? Is EJ weak or are the coaches being over protective?

Fred plays with broken ribs, CJ plays with a high ankle sprain, yet the franchise QB can't play with a mild knee spain? Honestly, if Thad plays well in Foxboro, it could very well be time to consider EJ as the backup.

So Aaron Rodgers sits behind Favre and never sees any playing time. Finally gets his shot and plays as he is today. EJ actually plays during his rookie year......Yet, there are people calling this year a total waste for EJ and the organization. He did get game experience and the coaching staff has NFL game film on him. Ideal? No. Stil beneficial? Yes.

This game in the big scheme of things is meaningless for us.

This game is meaningless to the Bills record this season; true.

However, in the larger picture sense, in determining whether EJ is going to be good enough to be a franchise QB, this game is very, very important, arguably the most important game yet.

It is entirely possible, and somewhat likely based on what I have seen coming out of the coaching staff, that they already have their mind made up about EJ. Meaning EJ is intended to be the starter next year and that they don't intend to do anything to question that at all meaning they don't draft a qb and they don't bring in a meaningful veteran competition. That might be the case.

And if that is the case, then I suspect that Marrone is thinking "Oh ****! If EJ plays against the Pats and looks horrible (which is a real possibility if he had played) then the Bills will create additional negative animosity in the fan base." And he would rather save whatever hope there still is for EJ until next year where he will either live or die as a coach according to how well EJ plays. Just like how Chan lived and died with Fitzpatrick.

Don't agree one bit. Making something out of nothing, as per usual 'round here.

PTR

That's only your opinion. Others disagree.

So Aaron Rodgers sits behind Favre and never sees any playing time. Finally gets his shot and plays as he is today. EJ actually plays during his rookie year......Yet, there are people calling this year a total waste for EJ and the organization. He did get game experience and the coaching staff has NFL game film on him. Ideal? No. Stil beneficial? Yes.

Yeah but Brett Farve was their current starter at the time. Rodgers not playing was not a big deal. Our other options are Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel. Big difference.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I understamd this sentiment, and in many ways can agree with it. It's really not a good move to risk further injury to your potential franchise player in a "meaningless" game. However...

It seems all season long, the coaches have been protecting EJ. They've dumbed down the offense; they're calling easy plays to execute; they're pulling him to avoid further injury. Have we ever had such a fragile franchise QB? Someone that has to be continually protected and babied throughout his rookie year? Is EJ weak or are the coaches being over protective?

Fred plays with broken ribs, CJ plays with a high ankle sprain, yet the franchise QB can't play with a mild knee spain? Honestly, if Thad plays well in Foxboro, it could very well be time to consider EJ as the backup.

Couple things:

1) they didn't dumb down the playbool. They realized they gave him to much to start with & with the missed time, it was a lot to take in. Hiw many rookies are going no huddle from the start if their career.

2) the Seahawks babied Wilson in a similar way. The Packers babied Rodgers. The steelers babied Big Ben. The Chargers babied Rivers. The opposite is David Carr where you get eaten alive.

3) I love Jackson & Spiller. But no one is more important than a qb. They will always be treated differently.