Joe D'Alessandris Appreciation Thread

We are really missing this guy as much as Chan Gailey's offensive mind IMO. If you don't know who he is, he was the offensive line coach under Chan Gailey. Marrones speciality is offensive line but it is regressing really badly. D'Alessandris knows how to scheme around his talent to keep the QB clean. Gailey's era was one of the best in an era where talent was lacking and when at the time it was ALL due to Joe and Chan's quick passing scheme.

Keep in context Joe 'D'Alessandris is now the offensive line coach for the Chargers and Phillip Rivers is having the best year of his career IMO. The San Diego offensive line is a top 5 o-line in the NFL at keeping the QB "clean". In the least amount of sacks and QB hits. 13 in the league in rushing and Rivers is having an MVP caliber year.

Great job Joe! The Bills where dumb to get rid of you! Our offensive line is a mess right now.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are really missing this guy as much as Chan Gailey's offensive mind IMO. If you don't know who he is, he was the offensive line coach under Chan Gailey. Marrones speciality is offensive line but it is regressing really badly. D'Alessandris knows how to scheme around his talent to keep the QB clean. Gailey's era was one of the best in an era where talent was lacking and when at the time it was ALL due to Joe and Chan's quick passing scheme.

Keep in context Joe 'D'Alessandris is now the offensive line coach for the Chargers and Phillip Rivers is having the best year of his career IMO. The San Diego offensive line is a top 5 o-line in the NFL at keeping the QB "clean". In the least amount of sacks and QB hits. 13 in the league in rushing and Rivers is having an MVP caliber year.

Great job Joe! The Bills where dumb to get rid of you! Our offensive line is a mess right now.

There was more than one coach Marrone should have kept if he was this great NFL mind that Brandon thought he was but that's what you get when a baseball guy runs a football team !!

He should have looked at what parts of the team were doing good & kept those coaches such as O line - Joe D , Pete Metzlars - TE , RB's coach & possibly others ! But choosing a coach with Marrones vast experience ... Well that's for another post !!

LOL, Explain how exactly he's a baseball guy. Yes I'm aware he worked for the Red Wings and was it also the Florida Marlins. But I'd imagine by now he's spent more years in football than baseball. It's not like he played in the majors or minors, or even college baseball. Love him or hate him calling him a baseball guy is laughable but don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

And BTW I must be much more qualified to answer this question as you are as by your criteria you're talking to a newspaper guy here as my first job ever was delivering the newspaper.

There was more than one coach Marrone should have kept if he was this great NFL mind that Brandon thought he was but that's what you get when a baseball guy runs a football team !!

LOL, Explain how exactly he's a baseball guy. Yes I'm aware he worked for the Red Wings and was it also the Florida Marlins. But I'd imagine by now he's spent more years in football than baseball. It's not like he played in the majors or minors, or even college baseball. Love him or hate him calling him a baseball guy is laughable but don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

And BTW I must be much more qualified to answer this question as you are as by your criteria you're talking to a newspaper guy here as my first job ever was delivering the newspaper.

The sad thing is Brandon is neither a "baseball" or "football" guy. His specialty is marketing. All the more scary that he has total control of football operations in Buffalo and his track record thus far speaks to that.

I stopped at "Chan Gailey's offensive mind".

People have amazingly short (or selective) memories.

You don't miss the days our offense was stagnant and couldn't move the ball?

Or how all we did was throw quick screens and short slants and teams would stack the box and dare us to beat them long even though we couldn't.

That great offensive mind?

Mike Mayock had a lot of nice things to say about Joe D during the last Thursday night game. Joe even got some brief camera time.

My guess is that none of Chan's assistants wanted to stay (nor were they asked to stay) when Chan and the whole staff was dismissed.

Mike Mayock had a lot of nice things to say about Joe D during the last Thursday night game. Joe even got some brief camera time.

My guess is that none of Chan's assistants wanted to stay (nor were they asked to stay) when Chan and the whole staff was dismissed.

Has Mayock ever had a bad thing to say about anybody ever?

I don't think any of Chans assistants were even interviewed for jobs. I was under the impression IIRC, through Metzelars comments last year, he felt slighted from the Bills. I know a lot fans wouldn't have had a problem with Joe D coming back under Marrones regime.

The fact is Marrone has hired worse coaches at each of their respective positions minus the defensive coordinator.

Amen! Marrone was unwise in releasing all incumbent coaches. Joe D did well in Buffalo and is rolling in San Diego as well.

That's the problem when new coaches come in, they know their guys and may not know the ones preceding them so they clean house even if some coaches are good.

Don't know who our O-line coach is but I think it really is the lineman not doing as well. Levitre was a probowler and you just don't replace him with PS and waiver wire guys. Titans overpaid for him but if we tied him up the year before he hit FA, like smart teams do, our line would be a lot better. At the very least we should have addressed it in the draft and Brian Winters of the Jets was sitting there in the third for the taking. A nasty mauler perfect for what we run here but hey the FO says guards aren't a priority so ....

Joe D was excellent but who says he wanted to stay anyway?

I think the loss of Levitre is bigger than most thought. Wood used to help Urbik last year. Now Wood has to help Legursky. That is compounding the problems but yes, Joe is a fine OL coach.

:thumbsup:

He should have looked at what parts of the team were doing good & kept those coaches such as O line - Joe D , Pete Metzlars - TE , RB's coach & possibly others !

I agree very strongly.

The whole notion of "cleaning house" when you get a new head coach is self-defeating. I hate that. There were some better assistant coaches on the staff last year. And by letting them go, you have set your team back in that area too. It is understandable that a new head coach wants to assemble his own team. I just think it is the fault of that new head coach if he doesn't first look at what the team already has working right with it and decide for himself whether he should keep an assistant or not. Marrone should have looked closer at some of those assistants and found a way to get them to stay.

I don't know if he put a lot of effort into it or none at all or if he was told not to by his boss or what happened? But I think there was some good talent there that was let go that should not have been.

I stopped at "Chan Gailey's offensive mind".

People have amazingly short (or selective) memories.

I actually liked Gailey as a play caller. His teams consistently moved the football with bad talent. They just made huge mistakes. I didn't like Gailey as a head coach. I didn't think that he could manage games, the media, the clock, challenges, etc...

LOL, Explain how exactly he's a baseball guy. Yes I'm aware he worked for the Red Wings and was it also the Florida Marlins. But I'd imagine by now he's spent more years in football than baseball. It's not like he played in the majors or minors, or even college baseball. Love him or hate him calling him a baseball guy is laughable but don't let facts get in the way of a good

For what it is worth he played football and baseball in college.

I actually liked Gailey as a play caller. His teams consistently moved the football with bad talent. They just made huge mistakes. I didn't like Gailey as a head coach. I didn't think that he could manage games, the media, the clock, challenges, etc...

For what it is worth he played football and baseball in college.

Probably in a perfecr world, Gailey would be the OC for Coach Marrone. I think Marrone is a better CEO than Gailey was. But Gailey got the most out of his talent. Personally, I think he would have done some great things with EJ.

Probably in a perfecr world, Gailey would be the OC for Coach Marrone. I think Marrone is a better CEO than Gailey was. But Gailey got the most out of his talent. Personally, I think he would have done some great things with EJ.

I agree. I think that you put it well. He did maximize talent and would make for an ideal OC.