• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2014 to do list:

• Pay off mortgage,
  • pay off any debts.
  • upgrade season tickets
  • Buy a Winnebago, disappear until next season, be Kenny for a year and attend all home and away games

2015 and beyond:

• Random acts of charity every day

That's what I usually estimate. The Mega Millions website lists the cash option at $341 million currently. So half that would be about $170 million.

I was going to buy a ticket until I saw these numbers. There's no way I can live off of that "jackpot".

Countless idiots have blown these jackpots and are left penniless. This is pretty close to what I'd do...

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/realtimeadvice/2012/03/29/how-to-invest-540-mega-millions/

Instead, one approach could be to put half the winnings in high-grade municipal bonds, where the income earned is tax exempt, says Matthew Goff, a financial adviser in Houston. That could bring in roughly $3 million a year in income, he estimates. Another 40% of the winnings could be put in high quality corporate bonds, where it could earn about $2 million a year. And for the sake of helping the jackpot keep pace with inflation, the rest of the cash could be invested in dividend paying stocks. All told, that adds up to an annual income stream of about $7 million, that winners can live off of without having to touch the prize money, says Goff. “You could be much more conservative than say someone with a more typical portfolio,” he says. “Risk taking becomes more of a luxury than a necessity.”