Anger...Anger...Anger...Anger...Anger...Anger...Anger...Anger...

\GoBillsInDallas/

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who want to kill this kid, there's something wrong with you. I understand wanting to give him some time to teach him a lesson, but it's not like this kid maliciously hunted down these people. He's f'n 16 and couldn't handle his ****. It's terribly unfortunate, but it's not like he necessarily had a depraved mind (although it's entirely possible, but we don't know that). All yall focus on is the consequence instead of the intent. If he'd hit that same car and no one was in it, his act would be just as blameworthy, but most of you would not see it the same way.

And please don't tell me "what if that was your ..." If I was that emotionally intertwined with the situation I don't think I'd be all that rational and certainly wouldn't be the ideal authority on what the appropriate objective consequence should be.

Also, the "rich kid" thing is so overplayed here. There was a hit and run in Richmond last year and the media latched on because it was a young semi-pretty girl that got killed and the driver's dad was a local lawyer, and they played that "daddy" angle to death. He got 3 years and you'd have thought he got the royal treatment. 2 other people within a years time received 2 year sentences for similar crimes and neither of them had a rich daddy. But hey, if class warfare's your thing have at it.

Edited by Rob's House

Cute blonde chick, here in Austin, daughter of a prominent CA politician, working at the Texas Stare Capital ran over a woman taking her trash to the curb in the wee hours...she was loaded, coming home from a club. The woman's body was found in the neighbors bushes. Hit and run... a witness, and a busted part of the car at the scene, were traced pretty quickly.

The girl got 6 months in jail, six months probation and a $10,000 fine. Oh yeah, and her daddy has a long history of dui's as well...watching her sob when she was "harshly sentenced" was revolting...

that was a disgusting display of privilege. if I remember it correctly, the victim was actually out for an early morning jog, and it was said that she likely wasn't killed instantly, but died slowly, lying in the tall grass along the side of the road. my biggest problem with justice here in Texas is that if you're wealthy or connected, you'll almost always be able to buy leniency that the rest of us will never see.

Texas usually does! If this had been some poor minority kid he would never of seen the light of day again

and he would deserve such a sentence. driving drunk, running a person down, and leaving them to die is much more than simply using bad judgement behind the wheel. there's no need to interject race into this....Texas does not racially discriminate when handing out a death sentence. it's a factor of how much money you have and how well connected you are. being able to afford a good attorney makes all the difference. of all the death row inmates in Texas, whites and latinos are equal, at just under 29% each, with blacks at just under 41%. there are a lot more well-to-do and connected hispanics in Texas than there are well-to-do african-americans, and the TDCJ numbers bear this out.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/dr_gender_racial_stats.html

If I'm one of the victims families, hearing he's too wealthy to go to prison, I'm calling lawyers and starting a civil case for damages.

so far, there are five civil cases pending, according to what I heard on the local radio this morning.

I wonder what the sentencing would have been if this kid was just a middle class kid?

3 years behind bars and 7 years probation.

If I'm one of the victims families, hearing he's too wealthy to go to prison, I'm calling lawyers and starting a civil case for damages.

so far, there are five civil cases pending, according to what I heard on the local radio this morning.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For those of you who want to kill this kid, there's something wrong with you. I understand wanting to give him some time to teach him a lesson, but it's not like this kid maliciously hunted down these people. He's f'n 16 and couldn't handle his ****. It's terribly unfortunate, but it's not like he necessarily had a depraved mind (although it's entirely possible, but we don't know that). All yall focus on is the consequence instead of the intent. If he'd hit that same car and no one was in it, his act would be just as blameworthy, but most of you would not see it the same way.

And please don't tell me "what if that was your ..." If I was that emotionally intertwined with the situation I don't think I'd be all that rational and certainly wouldn't be the ideal authority on what the appropriate objective consequence should be.

Also, the "rich kid" thing is so overplayed here. There was a hit and run in Richmond last year and the media latched on because it was a young semi-pretty girl that got killed and the driver's dad was a local lawyer, and they played that "daddy" angle to death. He got 3 years and you'd have thought he got the royal treatment. 2 other people within a years time received 2 year sentences for similar crimes and neither of them had a rich daddy. But hey, if class warfare's your thing have at it.

You make some good points.

Let's put aside the fact that people were killed, this kid was drunk and on valium, and was behind the wheel of an automobile, speeding.

That alone should be at least some jail time. Instead he gets probation. Yeah I know it's 10 years, but that's not enough.

How about also denying him a driver's license until he's 40.

I'm actually ok with the sentence. I have a moral and legal issue with the defense tactic. Legally, they successfully used the parents wealth as the factor for why the kid should be spared time in jail. This opens the family up for a sure case of civil liability. Long story short, in 10 years time, this family will be financially ruined and the kid will probably be in jail. One minor parole violation and it's the clink for the kid.

I feel terrible for the victims families and those who are injured; however, the kid was served justice appropriately even if the means were very shady.

Good! At least--I hope--that avenue of justice hasn't been taken away

it hasn't been taken away, nor will it. Texas is pretty much the same as any other state....maybe a little worse than some, maybe a little better than others, but you find the same problem everywhere with regard to access to legal counsel. people with money, especially those connected with local authorities, are always going to have access to the most powerful and effective attorneys, while middle class shlubs like me will go broke defending themselves. those that require court-appointed attorneys don't always fare very well.

• 1 month later...

This is complete and utter crap and whats wrong

This isn't some accident where the kid was just out driving home one day and during some bad weather he lost control and got into an accident and lives were lost. The underage kid drank and took drugs, then got behind the wheel of a vehicle. When you get behind the wheel and are under the influence of any drugs or alcohol you should lose any right to be able to say that you didn't intend to hurt or kill anyone. If I walked up and shot someone with a gun, could I not then use the excuse that I never intended to kill them, only scare them or injure them and get away with it (outside of being a white guy in Florida while being attacked?)

• 2 months later...