''It's not my fault that I'm a careless driver'&#3

Okay, I know this place is famous for their wreck and I have never been there.

Pretty sure I never will as this building has been hit 5, yes 5 times by cars. Holy smokes...that's unbelievable! I don't care if the building has been there sines the revolution.....a building hit 5 times by a car ???

Okay, I know this place is famous for their wreck and I have never been there.

Pretty sure I never will as this building has been hit 5, yes 5 times by cars. Holy smokes...that's unbelievable! I don't care if the building has been there sines the revolution.....a building hit 5 times by a car ???

This .. Plus rst owner is being a jerk. He gains nothing but il will now that the situation is aired in the open.

seems like if the little old lady swerved to avoid someone else who was driving carelessly, the sign refers more to that person. Is the guy a dick for putting up that sign? Yes, but he can do whatever on his property. I am sure he's sick of people crashing into his building...

I was planning on finally going there while I was back for Xmas. Can someone tell me of a good weck place nearby?

Crap, I forgot the name of a decent place on Broadway in Lancaster, right near Bowen Rd. It's a tavern, I think the name starts with E. Anyone know what I'm describing?

PTR

Crap, I forgot the name of a decent place on Broadway in Lancaster, right near Bowen Rd. It's a tavern, I think the name starts with E. Anyone know what I'm describing?

PTR

Is it Eckl's in Orchard Park? I forgot about that place since Schwabl's is just down the street from my brother.

PTR

Is it Eckl's in Orchard Park? I forgot about that place since Schwabl's is just down the street from my brother.

Actually it's Frank's Grille on Broadway near Bowen. (E? F? whatever.) Very good Beef on Weck.

PTR

I just bought a piece of land on a busy road with a sharp corner. I was told my fence will get run damaged at least once a year due to people driving to fast. My first incident happened last week. Driver came careening thru my fence damaging 20 feet, cost me $600 to repair. I'm putting up steel posts filled with concrete to help reduce damage for next time. Hopefully I don't get up to 5 times.

I live right there, walked the dog to it to check it out. The woman was on busy Union Road, lost control, went thru an oil change place parking lot, a guardrail fence made of rr ties, and blew a huge hole in the building. 27 people are out of work for the holidays until this place re-opens. With the damage, they may tear it down. Little sympathy for the driver

I was planning on finally going there while I was back for Xmas. Can someone tell me of a good weck place nearby?

Couple miles west when Center becomes Seneca St. Blackthorn Pub, a south Buffalo tavern. Their beef on weck was on Diners dives and drive-ins

This .. Plus rst owner is being a jerk. He gains nothing but il will now that the situation is aired in the open.

I think the owner has been acting like an ahole from the beginning. When it first happened, it was supposed to be closed two weeks, and he was bellyaching about it being the busiest time of the year, because family come in for the holidays..........Well no - those two weeks would have been the first two weeks of December. No family comes in then.

Turns out now it's going to be closed longer, and he ups the ante with his sign.

He has expressed no concern for the 80 year old lady, who has major injuries. The only person to get hurt.

I think the owner has been acting like an ahole from the beginning. When it first happened, it was supposed to be closed two weeks, and he was bellyaching about it being the busiest time of the year, because family come in for the holidays..........Well no - those two weeks would have been the first two weeks of December. No family comes in then.

Turns out now it's going to be closed longer, and he ups the ante with his sign.

He has expressed no concern for the 80 year old lady, who has major injuries. The only person to get hurt.

Plus the fact that he had the unmitigated gall to put his business in the right-of-way for SUVs driven by 80 year old women. The insensitive jerk.

Plus the fact that he had the unmitigated gall to put his business in the right-of-way for SUVs driven by 80 year old women. The insensitive jerk.

Plus he probably had a handicapped parking sign over on that side of the building and the confusion for the elderly woman was just too much.

Plus he probably had a handicapped parking sign over on that side of the building and the confusion for the elderly woman was just too much.

Or maybe it used to have a drive through on that side, and she thought it was still the 1920s.

If it was a 16 year old or a drunk 20something, it seems that this whole thing would be looked at differently. 90% of the people I've seen online are all about the age of the woman, and think the owner is fine.............He's been a dick this whole time (if he's being quoted correctly, which I never am sure)

PS I wonder what the accident rate is for 80 years old vs. other ages?

If it was a 16 year old or a drunk 20something, it seems that this whole thing would be looked at differently. 90% of the people I've seen online are all about the age of the woman, and think the owner is fine.............He's been a dick this whole time (if he's being quoted correctly, which I never am sure)

I agree w/you.

How many times has this place been hit? Don't mean to sound disrespectful, how many old people are driving around BFLO? People better get used to it. I hope I live long enough see some of these younger people get old.

Or maybe it used to have a drive through on that side, and she thought it was still the 1920s.

That location has only been there since 1942. The family sold in 2004 to other owners. AND, it seems the other side of the building gets hit more!

I know they have this policy where they want you in and out. No talking after dinner over a drink or two. That type of thing..............Was that the policy before the new owners in 2004 or did they implement that?

"Boy the way Glen Miller played

Songs that made the hit parade.

Guys like us we had it made,

Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,

Girls were girls and men were men,

Mister we could use a man

Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,

Everybody pulled his weight.

Gee our old LaSalle ran great.

Those were the days."

I know they have this policy where they want you in and out. No talking after dinner over a drink or two. That type of thing..............Was that the policy before the new owners in 2004 or did they implement that?

The place is small. I wonder how much they bought it for? Profits still that close after 10 years hustling a dried out, over-priced beef sandwich? There has to be some kind of insurance on the place? Then the sob story about the poor employees not working through The Holidays. The owner's choose to go nuclear on the old driver and the family of the lady brought it to everyone's attention. I know with that place getting hit +3 times, avoid it like the plague! Same w/the mass amount of old people in town now feeling that they are under attack for simply getting old and refusing to hang up the keys...

Nice business model the new owners have going! Young people throw the old people under the bus... Scratch that, the runaway SUV. Welcome to Pottersville just in time for The Holidays!

Please don't tell me her vehicle was a Honda CR-V!

"...Those were the days... The old LaSalle ran great

It's been hit 5 times altogether. I wonder if they were all 80 years old............I hope this place really hurts after this. A little bit of humanity towards the woman was all busted up would have been nice.

I totally agree bbb. 5 times since 1942... I'd like to see that timeline... Does it get hit every 14 years? Just thank God it wasn't the old LaSalle that slammed into the place. It would have like a Sherman tank barreling through!

With the damage invoked and the reported path the driver took, it seems that the brake was never even touched.... even though there was substantial time to at least slow down. We can all act like we are taking the high road .....but if your source of income was severely damaged due to a careless bit of driving, Old, distracted, negligent, it doesn't matter. It was a horrible bit of driving and the impact didn't need to be that severe. Just because you are 80 does not give you a free pass from criticism if you inflict serious damage. If you're too old to be criticized for your driving, you're too old to be operating 2 tons of metal at 66 feet per second (which is the speed limit on Union).

With the damage invoked and the reported path the driver took, it seems that the brake was never even touched.... even though there was substantial time to at least slow down. We can all act like we are taking the high road .....but if your source of income was severely damaged due to a careless bit of driving, Old, distracted, negligent, it doesn't matter. It was a horrible bit of driving and the impact didn't need to be that severe. Just because you are 80 does not give you a free pass from criticism if you inflict serious damage. If you're too old to be criticized for your driving, you're too old to be operating 2 tons of metal at 66 feet per second (which is the speed limit on Union).

It isn't about taking the high road, it is about the humanity that bbb speaks of above. It is the sign of the times: Outrage. Bitterness.

I got no problem w/the owner being critical... I am never going there again and will spread the word, especially w/these douchebag owners. It is the whining sign that brought attention and sure the woman's family/friends fanned the flames... Nice business model the owner has going in a rapidly aging town. He should have just kept quiet and let the insurance handle it. Now, everybody knows of it, even the out of towners. What a whiner... Life sucks @ times... It ain't perfect, that is why it is called an accident. Then on top of it all, it is a place gets hit every 15 years... IMO, that is why he is pissed the most. They bought it 2004 and know it is not a perfect corner. Now he is in damage control? Some pretty FUBAR'd damage control, bringing more attention to a hazardous corner.

That place is now the business that got hit 5 times... Why would you want to go there? It is as small as a shoebox too!

Just go here:

http://charliethebutcher.com/

If you want your beef on weck fix.

I don't care what her age is. If you can't drive, don't. No sympathy points for age.

Roughly the same as 20 year olds. Accidents tend to be less severe, though, because they're less likely to drive recklessly (i.e. it's tough to get in a truly bad accident when you're doing 20 in a 55.)

Edited by DC Tom

To the Internets!!!!

http://gis1.erie.gov...Launchpage.aspx

Assesed value, $108,800

http://rocdocs.democ...estate-database

Paid $125,000 in 2004

The current owners were working for the previous ones for many years. I am pretty sure that the previous owners were of the Schwabl family? The current owners also know that the building was hit 4 times since 1942. Can you find that timeline out? Most of those hits have to be post 1960? :P

Sounds like frustration (the sign) to me... Like clock work, another vehicle hit. Well @ least they are set to 2027.

From the RocDocs link, previous owner: SCHWABL, JR, RAYMOND G

Yeah... I knew that already... I wanna know when these other building crashes took place. They are saying it is up to 5 now... Oh, my!

Kinda reminds me of sitting in my parents house about 15 years ago... I got in late from illinois and as was taking in some TV (about 01:00 Saturday) when I saw a car speeding around our street... The street they live on is a big loop drive with one way in and one way out... Car smashes into the neighbor's house 4 houses down around the corner... Almost hits the gas meter... Kids jump out and make a break towards the fields behind the houses... Cheektowaga's finest was right behind them. I know they caught one... But the other made a break into West Seneca. Boy, I wish more old people were driving! :D