Tashard Choice released, Wingo's role to increase

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choice was running out of gas the last few games. Last game he went at the line of scrimmage and lowered his sholders, then proceeded to attempt to back into the line. he was turned around 180 degrees. I'm hoping they play Wingo (perahps cut down on some of Freddies carries to keep him fresh for next year) so they can see what they have. They will need a back to replace FJax. I would also like to see a Spiller extension, and a Byrd extension this offseason.

I don't want to use too much hyperbole--but this is maybe the most exciting move the bills have made since drafting EJ.

It tells me a few things--the coach and gm feel very comfortable in their standing with the team, and have probably been told by brandon they will be in place either as long as brandon is there (until ralph dies) or 4-5 years--whichever comes first.

I'd like to feel that way, but Choice is a scrub RB that was likely gone this offseason anyway. This doesn't mean anything.

And I hope Marrone isn't here 5 years... :scared:

I'd like to feel that way, but Choice is a scrub RB that was likely gone this offseason anyway. This doesn't mean anything.

he definitely was a scrub... but he was a Buffalo Bill--the problem is, the majority of our team has been scrubs for 15 years and counting.

he is a guy that was "productive" in the sense that there isn't anyone on the waiver wire RIGHT NOW that would be an immediate upgrade over him, so previous regimes/coaches would have gladly kept him and maintained status quo until the offseason. It would have been a situation of, "we may be bad, but if we cut him, we'll be worse. we may be bad, but we can still go 8-8 and make the playoffs. we're building a foundation, etc."

with this regime, it seems to be more of an attitude of "he's not productive for us. we're 4-8. we suck. he's cut. next man up."

it pains me to say it, because he is my favorite bill since jim kelly, but i truly believe stevie johnson gets cut this offseason. for right or wrong, this regime wants to build this organization a certain way. a tough, aggressive defense, and a fast, up tempo offense.

i expect to see byrd resigned, and a draft that focuses on athletic olinemen, a rb, and big, fast receiver(s). another LB would be great.

i also expect this team to target some weaknesses in free agency, and make a playoff push next year.

there are some naysayers, and i am way too much of an optimist for my own good, but this team literally could have won every single game this year save the saints and steelers game. and, unlike years past, it's not just that we could have won those games, there were distinct moments in each of our losses where i thought, "damn, were GOING TO WIN this ball game."

were a good, young team, and im excited to see the coaches and front office looking to improve the team, rather than wallow in the constant mediocrity that has been buffalo bills football for a decade and a half.

no, cutting tashard choice isn't the solution, but keeping him clearly wasn't the solution either. he was a sub-par nfl player, that had no real role here, but he was a big name. he was a "hard" cut, but the front office did it. it's not a sexy move, it's not a seat filler move, but it's a damn good football move, and im excited to see the bills making those moves in december, record be damned.

But could still be used on Byrd no? A couple hundred thousand closer to getting a deal done.

No is correct. Choice was on a 1 year deal, so he would affect next year's cap number if was again signed after the season. Byrd cannot sign a new deal after the season due to his franchise tag requires a long-term deal by July 15th. Since they did not reach a deal by then, Byrd can't be signed until then, at which point Choice would be a free agent. Thus the two would never intertwine.

A closer look at Wingo’s athleticism

Bills RB Ronnie Wingo, who was just called up from the practice squad to the active roster this afternoon, is a big, but athletic back. Here’s a look at his workout numbers from his Arkansas pro day from this past March.

Wingo ran two 40 times of 4.46 and 4.49.

He had a three cone drill time of 7.47.

He had a 33-inch vertical leap and a 9’9″ broad jump.

On the 225-pound bench press he put up 18 reps.

Wingo is likely to see action Sunday knowing Fred Jackson isn’t 100 percent either.

I hope Marrone is here in 5 years. To last that long, that would mean the Bills are actually doing good, otherwise he's done before that.

Choice got here because Gailey coached him at Ga Tech and Dallas. He's a professional and he never hurt the team. He just doesn't have any special talents. Just a grinder.

With Gailey gone and us out of the playoffs, it makes sense to move on.

This also sends a message to the team, not to get too comfortable with your roster spot. Which is good.

I don't recall him ripping off any huge runs against anyone. He was really below average, kind of a filler on the roster. I for one really like the idea of Summers on the roster. What a tank. Perfect for short and goal situations. Fred and CJ do an awesome job when the field is long, but seem to get fumbleitus near the goal line. Summers is perfect for that situation. I can't wait to see how he does against NE.

While it's a relatively poor draft for a RD1 running back, and a possibility it'll be worse when Juniors don't declare for the NFL, there is a RB I like in every round of the 2014 draft.

Right now, Power Mocks have us at drafting 8th, so I'm looking on my RB Board nearest 8, 40, 72, 104, 136, 168, and 200. Seniors are in bold, and Jeremy Hill has declared so he's in bold too.

RD1: Melvin Gordon Wisconsin 6'1" 207

RD2: Jeremy Hill LSU 6'2" 235 (prefer over Bishop Sankey Washington 5'10" 200)

RD3: Marion Grice Arizona State 6'0" 205 (over Lache Seastrunk 5'10" 205)

RD4: Carlos Hyde Ohio State 6'0" 235 (Ameer Abdullah Nebraska 5'9" 190)

RD5: Karlos Williams Florida State 6'1" 226

RD6: James White Wisconsin 5'10" 198 (Ka'Deem Carey Arizona 5'10" 196)

RD7: Jay Prosch Auburn 5'11" 253 (FB behind Summers) (Tim Flanders Sam Houston St 5'9" 210)

UDFA: Terry Baggett Army 6'1" 200

~Astro

I dont fully buy into the "cut Choice to see what we have in Wingo" theory...Wingo is already on the 53-man roster..all the Bills would have to do is make Choice inactive on game days over Wingo and let Wingo run Choices plays...simple as that, they get to see how Wingo does and not lose a RB in the process...theres got to be someone else they have in mind...maybe someone to either help in run defense or help offense on 3rd downs??

I think this is a very good point.......so I looked up a few things which I believe help explain things.

Choice was due to be a FA next season.

His salary this season was $780K(including $50K signing bonus).

In two weeks Choice was going to turn 30 years old(very old for an NFL RB).

As you pointed out, the Bills could have easily demoted Choice to 4th string and elevated Mingo to 3rd.......but considering that there was little chance that Choice was going to be on the Bills roster next season(due to the factors listed), it makes some sense to cut him now.....save $182.5K(which will be added to the 2014 cap)......and give Mingo a chance to show what he can do in gameday situations before we head into the next draft.