Tashard Choice released, Wingo's role to increase

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tashard Choice may be the nicest guy in the world but he should have been released.

CJ and Fred wearing his ubiform. Give me a break. The guy did!nt die, he got released, like someday

CJ and Fred will.

Tashard belongs on a team in the playoffs with a shot at the SB, because the chances are when he

get in a game for whatever reason, he would!nt screw up. The Bills don!t need somebody like that,

they need somebody with a upside and a chance to be a star.

Give Wingo a chance and see what upside he has. One day CJ and Fred will be gone. Do you

want Tashard to be the nuber 1 back.

No is correct. Choice was on a 1 year deal, so he would affect next year's cap number if was again signed after the season. Byrd cannot sign a new deal after the season due to his franchise tag requires a long-term deal by July 15th. Since they did not reach a deal by then, Byrd can't be signed until then, at which point Choice would be a free agent. Thus the two would never intertwine.

I see. Well being that Choice isn't on the team, wouldn't that STILL clear up any cap space next year? He took up some apace this year and granted he will still get paid for this year, wouldn't next year's cap have a bit more room since we WON'T be paying Choice?

I see. Well being that Choice isn't on the team, wouldn't that STILL clear up any cap space next year? He took up some apace this year and granted he will still get paid for this year, wouldn't next year's cap have a bit more room since we WON'T be paying Choice?

I'm not 100% on the rules......but assuming his last 4 game cheques won't be paid.....that will save the team $182.5K(minus the minimal 53rd man's contract replacement)......which would then be rolled over onto the 2014 cap.

Edited by Dibs

I'm not 100% on the rules......but assuming his last 4 game cheques won't be paid.....that will save the team $182.5K(minus the minimal 53rd man's contract replacement)......which would then be rolled over onto the 2014 cap.

He's guaranteed his 2013 salary because he's a vested vet. The Bills may be off the hook if he's picked up by another team.

I think we will see more of this... I believe the Bills will go into "lets see what we've got" mode now with the Playoffs out of reach.

And more power to them for doing so.

You were the first to post this sentiment and I think that's part of the decision.

Also those who point to Choice's doubtful future with the team in 2014 due to an unfavorable performance to pay ratio are also on point.

But the new guy comes in strong:

Choice got here because Gailey coached him at Ga Tech and Dallas. He's a professional and he never hurt the team. He just doesn't have any special talents. Just a grinder.

With Gailey gone and us out of the playoffs, it makes sense to move on.

This also sends a message to the team, not to get too comfortable with your roster spot. Which is good.

1) As I've posted numerous times, Choice is an average back.

Average speed, average quickness, average power, average instincts. He's exactly the sort of player who good organizations replace with a late round pick or undrafted free agent. As long as Wingo doesn't make assignment mistakes and does well in pass protection, he's an improvement on Choice.

The main factor in cutting Choice is this:

The Bills aren't going to cut Stevie Johnson nor are they gonna cut Scott Chandler.

Someone had to be the sacrificial lamb.

This is called indirect accountability. The blood of Tashard Choice is on the hands of Stevie Johnson and Scott Chandler.

The players have been put on notice. This is a wake-up call.

I'll say one thing for Coach Marrone and and the new GM the Doug Whaley, they keep turning the roster over and trying to bring in better players each and every week there are plenty of guys who were on the week 1&2 roster are long gone.

Good thing this happened. It sends the right message, which is "if you don't perform we'll cut a 3rd stringer who has provided solid depth at his position & leadership in the locker room."

I just wish it had happened sooner. Without Choice we could be 4-8 right now.

The Bills aren't going to cut Stevie Johnson nor are they gonna cut Scott Chandler.

This is called indirect accountability. The blood of Tashard Choice is on the hands of Stevie Johnson and Scott Chandler.

If this is true we have the dumbest coaching staff in professional sports, quite possibly at any level.

Edited by Rob's House

Good thing this happened. It sends the right message, which is "if you don't perform we'll cut a 3rd stringer who has provided solid depth at his position & leadership in the locker room."

I just wish it had happened sooner. Without Choice we could be 4-8 right now.

If this is true we have the dumbest coaching staff in professional sports, quite possibly at any level.

It tells players who are currently uncut-able that continued screw-ups will have consequences.

Anyone who has followed sports for any length of time has seen analogous moves, whether it be in football, hockey, or any sport.

Like it or not, this move sends a message to the locker room.

And as I wrote in my first post, there were other reasons that came into play (which you didn't bother to cite).

To review:

1) The team knows the playoffs are out of reach and are auditioning young players for the future.

2) Choice had no future with the team.

3) Choice cost too much.

4) Choice added nothing to the team.

5) Choice's release sent a message to the locker room.

These were all factors as I've already stated.

It tells players who are currently uncut-able that continued screw-ups will have consequences.

Anyone who has followed sports for any length of time has seen analogous moves, whether it be in football, hockey, or any sport.

And as I wrote in my first post, there were other reasons that came into play (which you didn't bother to cite).

To review:

1) The team knows the playoffs are out of reach and are auditioning young players for the future.

3) Choice cost too much.

You forgot the most obvious one. Bills felt Moeaki was ready to play, and Choice was the most logical cut. I don't see how you send a message to Chandler and Johnson by cutting choice. You send them a message by sitting them on the bench like the coach in Foxboro does.

Marrone frank on release of Choice

Bills head coach Doug Marrone cut a respected player in the locker room in Tashard Choice. Marrone respected him to which is why he took the time to explain to Choice why he was releasing him.

“I talked to Tashard,” said Marrone. “Normally those are private conversations, but what I told him was he did not do anything that made us look to do it; it was more of a sense of us trying to better ourselves.

“I’ve always appreciated his enthusiasm here. I’ve always appreciated the way he’s gone to work here. But at the end of the day, it happens quite a bit in this business, and it is a business of making sure that you win and you get better.

“If we don’t continue to get better and we don’t continue to win games, you’ll be saying that coach Marrone was a good guy but he didn’t get it done, and I don’t mean that in a comical way, I mean it as very straightforward and truthful.”

If any of this is actually true, as to the reason Tashard Choice got cut .... then Doug Marrone is an idiot and a crappy coach and leader.

Why would cutting a 3rd string RB send a message? To whom?

Who gets woken up when a guy who gets less than 3 carries per game gets cut?

What coach says, "you know what ... two guys, a WR and a TE, fumbled and we lost a game. Therefore, I'm going to cut a guy who a) has never made an impact, good or bad, in any game and b) had nothing to do with us losing the game.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying if you're right, this team is in schit load of trouble.

i really havent followed the wingo story line at all - its almost certainly the case though.

Is there a Wingo story line? LOL

To review:

3) Choice cost too much.

Or, as Marrone's comments clarify, they pounced on the opportunity to pick up a productive tight end and needed a roster spot in order to facilitate that acquisition.