Just drove by Wal-Mart on the way home...

\GoBillsInDallas/

Blue, I'm guessing you mean Thanksgiving, right? Who cares who is open on Black Friday, they are supposed to be. And Pooj, I am sure few if any have problems with families enjoying the shared shopping experience. You're right, it can be quality time. The problem I have is how it encroaches on Thanksgiving day. The number of retailers open on Thursday is excessive and ridiculous, not to mention totally unnecessary.

Sorry yeah, I meant Thanksgiving.

Personally, I would never set foot in a store one of these holidays, but I just think the sanctimonious attitude that some take toward it is kind of hypocritical...I spent 15 hours yesterday working at a football game...there were lots of people there...so, there were lots of people who had to work, to service them. The handful of resteraunts that were open yesterday were packed...nobody was mad at them for being open...I just think, in this day and age, when nothing is sacred, that this is so sacred... I will agree with you, it should be optional...

Yeah, working football games like that definitely needs to be optional. And I think it is for UT employees, right? I'd honestly prefer if UT did the football game on Friday.

Football games are a little different to me too,because they aren't opening thousands upon thousands of stores at the scale that these huge retail chains are doing to people.

And, if enough consumers agree with you, and profits suck, you won't see as many of them doing it in coming years.

I hope so, but given the reports...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the American way... people buy **** they don't need every day of the year...retailers are just trying to get their foot in the door on a season that, for many, could make or break them. In some cases, brick and mortar stores depend on Christmas to determine if they will be around for next Christmas.

I go on Facebook, and see people patting themselves on the back for not succumbing to the mania, but then bragging about how they managed to get a great deal for somthing on-line, without having to pay tax, deal with lines or rude employees, etc etc....all on Thanksgiving day!

Personally, I would never set foot in a store one of these holidays, but I just think the sanctimonious attitude that some take toward it is kind of hypocritical...I spent 15 hours yesterday working at a football game...there were lots of people there...so, there were lots of people who had to work, to service them. The handful of resteraunts that were open yesterday were packed...nobody was mad at them for being open...I just think, in this day and age, when nothing is sacred, that this is so sacred... I will agree with you, it should be optional...

Fair enough. Good post.

Why is shopping and spending time with families mutually exclusive? I'm walking around stores in Philly this morning and there are families shopping TOGETHER.... and they look like they are enjoying the whole holiday experience

One kinda hopes that this is happening on credit.

When I was young and scraping by, I'd take any extra hours I could. If Black Friday and other **** was around, I'd have gotten ahead much faster because there would have been more hours to work for people who were willing to do it.

And if our service folks can work on Thanksgiving and Christmas, you'll forgive me for not caring if the retail industry opens its doors because that's made possible because of that sacrifice.

There are worse things in the world than having a job and having to go to it.

All this being said, you'd have to pay me to actually go out and participate in this crap. I did pick up the last 2 season of Breaking Bad on Blu-Ray at Amazon for a total of $25, so I guess I'm part of the "problem". :D

Football games are a little different to me too,because they aren't opening thousands upon thousands of stores at the scale that these huge retail chains are doing to people.

Actually, football games at UT are mandatory for us...when you are hired, they make that very clear to you upon accepting the job.

They have lost numerous employees over the years, on this issue...they did try something a little different this year...if your birthday is on an odd day, you work this year, even day next year...or, if you wanted, you could work and get the extra money...as it turned out, not many voulunteered, and an unusually high number of people have even number birthdays :lol: They were super short-handed yesterday! At one time, they required everybody to work three of the games, but everyone would sign up for the same three games....whichever were scheduled as early kick-offs, or most likely to be early kick-offs, would get twice as many as the 6:30 kickoffs. I have worked every game the last 3 years, required or not, just for the money..but some really hate doing it....

Honestly, I don't think it made a bit of differnce...usually too many people on hand. My birthday is on an even day, but I am a (middle) manager, so I had to work the day...upper management had no such requirement. What a farce!

Edited by Buftex

Why is shopping and spending time with families mutually exclusive? I'm walking around stores in Philly this morning and there are families shopping TOGETHER.... and they look like they are enjoying the whole holiday experience

Today has become a traditional shopping day. We weren't talking about Black Friday, we were talking about Thanksgiving, a traditional day of giving thanks, sharing stories, laughs around the table, in the living room, or in front of a fire. Not crammed with other crazies to go shopping.

My girlfriend went with some of here friends. I talked to her at 1 and went to bed. She texted me at 5 to say she was home and going to bed. I hope she got good deals but me, I can't handle the crowds and all that not 8 hours after talking about being thankful I was for x,y and z. Just me personally

My girlfriend went with some of here friends. I talked to her at 1 and went to bed. She texted me at 5 to say she was home and going to bed. I hope she got good deals but me, I can't handle the crowds and all that not 8 hours after talking about being thankful I was for x,y and z. Just me personally

I couldn't even handle seeing it on the news yesterday. I'm ok with crowds I can't stand crowds of idiots. I have no patience for it.

Jim, i get it..but my son(and I a few years ago) has a job that requires a 'sacrifice'. I simply try and make the most of all 365 days and not pretend one day is more important than the others for family time.

Yesterday I got food prepped and cooked so we could eat and have him ready by 5pm. Its an adjustment we've chosen to make.

Today has become a traditional shopping day. We weren't talking about Black Friday, we were talking about Thanksgiving, a traditional day of giving thanks, sharing stories, laughs around the table, in the living room, or in front of a fire. Not crammed with other crazies to go shopping.

Jim, i get it..but my son(and I a few years ago) has a job that requires a 'sacrifice'. I simply try and make the most of all 365 days and not pretend one day is more important than the others for family time.

Yesterday I got food prepped and cooked so we could eat and have him ready by 5pm. Its an adjustment we've chosen to make.

i guess pooj, in this case, i have to ask what about a retail job should require that kind of sacrifice? with family time being more and more scarce, why cant they simply run the sales the weekend before and leave 1-2 days on the calendar as something bigger than the bottom line? you use the term that the retail experience requires it - but i think they could survive without it. they simply demand it.

i suppose the obvious retort is why not just do the family dinner the week before, or even every weekend... but i guess im a bit of a sucker for having special days, despite my support of capitalism.

i know the chickfila stuff blew up controversial based on values (or lack there of, depending who you ask - not trying to open that can of worms), but i always kind of liked that they simply werent open on sundays.

i bet a store would do well with attracting a more skilled and happier workforce if they went the extra mile trying to take care of them instead of squeezing them for all they can.

Edited by NoSaint

Its not much of a sacrifice..he worked 5pm to 130am...on a normal thanksgiving I eat around 3...we moved it up an hour...and I BTW...he's off today because of the shift last night.

i guess pooj, in this case, i have to ask what about a retail job should require that kind of sacrifice? with family time being more and more scarce, why cant they simply run the sales the weekend before and leave 1-2 days on the calendar as something bigger than the bottom line? you use the term that the retail experience requires it - but i think they could survive without it. they simply demand it.

i suppose the obvious retort is why not just do the family dinner the week before, or even every weekend... but i guess im a bit of a sucker for having special days, despite my support of capitalism.

i know the chickfila stuff blew up controversial based on values (or lack there of, depending who you ask - not trying to open that can of worms), but i always kind of liked that they simply werent open on sundays.

i bet a store would do well with attracting a more skilled and happier workforce if they went the extra mile trying to take care of them instead of squeezing them for all they can.

So i just partook in Record Store Day and scored a nice vinyl double album of previously considered lost dead...acoustic show from '70...from the family dog...can't wait to put it on the turntable and ignore my family

I'll be selling some of those tonight...if there are any left! :thumbsup:

Its not much of a sacrifice..he worked 5pm to 130am...on a normal thanksgiving I eat around 3...we moved it up an hour...and I BTW...he's off today because of the shift last night.

i guess for me, it was always more than a meal. the morning of cooking, meeting up with family, hanging out afterwards... thanksgiving was a day, not a dinner. additionally, hes lucky enough to be close to both work and family and zip over no problem after eating. for your family and your traditions it works out but for many, it doesnt.

not the end of the world, but i like the idea of having some things - like thanksgiving with the family - simply being a given and with the black friday creeping into thursday, it no longer is for an even larger segment of the population. firefighters, police - i get it. the dude lugging 65" tvs to the parking lot, i dont think its a necessary requirement to run a successful business.

I work, part-time, at a record store, that meets those criteteria..the boss man is a little odd, but treats us well (we have a total of 63 employees, about 20 of them full-time, the rest pt'ers like me!)...no holdays, closes early for things like St Patricks Day and Halloween (adult holidays), random un-announced bounus when business is good, holiday party with a plus one and open bar...the wages aren't fantastic, but could be worse...lots of perks beyond that....but I have to tell you, attracting a "more skilled and happier workforce" isn't what he needs...he needs customers...plain and simple.

Edited by Buftex

I work, part-time, at a record store, that meets those criteteria..the boss man is a little odd, but treats us well (we have a total of 63 employees, about 20 of them full-time, the rest pt'ers like me!)...no holdays, closes early for things like St Patricks Day and Halloween (adult holidays), random un-announced bounus when business is good, holiday party with a plus one and open bar...the wages aren't fantastic, but could be worse...lots of perks beyond that....but I have to tell you, attracting a "more skilled and happier workforce" isn't what he needs...he needs customers...plain and simple.

and in many cases, getting that better staff helps create better experiences, and then helps generate loyal customers.

thats not to say being a nice boss fixes all ills.... but i think you can give and take a bit with it and sometimes not just not fall behind but even come out ahead.

I'm not talking about the people in retail that have to work on Thanksgiving because the company they work for is open for business. Trust me I know that all too well having working at hotels that are open 24/7/365. It's the people that choose to go out to shop on Thanksgiving vs staying home and spending quality time with the family.

That's fine but how can you cast judgement on how people spend THEIR time? Maybe people save all year to spend these couple days doing something they personally find important or fun. Maybe they don't care that they are paying for something they can get any other time. Maybe they work hospitality, fire, police and this is their day to shop for Christmas. Sure we see and hear the handful of horror stories, but rarely do we hear how these couple days really make someone happy.

I always have my kids on thanksgiving... This year my 2 youngest went with their mom to a family wedding in the opposite direction of me. Maybe others are dealing with similar circumstances.

I'm not talking about the people in retail that have to work on Thanksgiving because the company they work for is open for business. Trust me I know that all too well having working at hotels that are open 24/7/365. It's the people that choose to go out to shop on Thanksgiving vs staying home and spending quality time with the family.

Edited by The Poojer