Just drove by Wal-Mart on the way home...

\GoBillsInDallas/

That's fine but how can you cast judgement on how people spend THEIR time? Maybe people save all year to spend these couple days doing something they personally find important or fun. Maybe they don't care that they are paying for something they can get any other time. Maybe they work hospitality, fire, police and this is their day to shop for Christmas. Sure we see and hear the handful of horror stories, but rarely do we hear how these couple days really make someone happy.

I always have my kids on thanksgiving... This year my 2 youngest went with their mom to a family wedding in the opposite direction of me. Maybe others are dealing with similar circumstances.

Because I feel taking one of the biggest family days of the year and spending it standing in line and fight crowds is just weird. One of the biggest issues in the country is the dysfunction of the family unit. And don't give me that crap that this is their only time to shop for Christmas. They've got 3 1/2 weeks to shop for Christmas. People are competitive and they'd rather say they got a great deal on a TV than spend quality time with the family. This is not slow paced quality shopping time. And what's wrong with casting judgement on how people spend their time? I'm sure plenty of people roll their eyes at how I spend my time sometimes. No biggie, I don't care.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess for me, it was always more than a meal. the morning of cooking, meeting up with family, hanging out afterwards... thanksgiving was a day, not a dinner. additionally, hes lucky enough to be close to both work and family and zip over no problem after eating. for your family and your traditions it works out but for many, it doesnt.

not the end of the world, but i like the idea of having some things - like thanksgiving with the family - simply being a given and with the black friday creeping into thursday, it no longer is for an even larger segment of the population. firefighters, police - i get it. the dude lugging 65" tvs to the parking lot, i dont think its a necessary requirement to run a successful business.

I agree. The move should to avoid consumerism for a few days a year. I understand the competition, yet it is still a tragedy. Now industrial endeavors are little hard to shut down. Like my job where, there has always been somebody (@ least two people) there 365/24/7 for the last 50 years... You can't just shut it down. Yet, commercial towboats will stop and have dinner, docked somewhere. Those are the people the crews live with for 3 or more weeks "on."

Isn't this a problem? Retailers trying to hook people on things they don't need? We have seen where it has led to through the years... Skyrocketing debt. Where does it go when all the days get tapped out and they can't manipulate the numbers the way they want to? Isn't this all a big con game? It flies in the face of everything we should be honoring?

I do understand the needed edge... But it is really getting obnoxious.

That's fine but how can you cast judgement on how people spend THEIR time? Maybe people save all year to spend these couple days doing something they personally find important or fun. Maybe they don't care that they are paying for something they can get any other time. Maybe they work hospitality, fire, police and this is their day to shop for Christmas. Sure we see and hear the handful of horror stories, but rarely do we hear how these couple days really make someone happy.

I always have my kids on thanksgiving... This year my 2 youngest went with their mom to a family wedding in the opposite direction of me. Maybe others are dealing with similar circumstances.

I still think it is a dysfunction. Even the name "Black Friday" implies badness. "Door busting" is obnoxious. I understand it will always be a person's choice... Just seems needless.

Because I feel taking one of the biggest family days of the year and spending it standing in line and fight crowds is just weird. One of the biggest issues in the country is the dysfunction of the family unit. And don't give me that crap that this is their only time to shop for Christmas. They've got 3 1/2 weeks to shop for Christmas. People are competitive and they'd rather say they got a great deal on a TV than spend quality time with the family. This is not slow paced quality shopping time. And what's wrong with casting judgement on how people spend their time? I'm sure plenty of people roll their eyes at how I spend my time sometimes. No biggie, I don't care.

Yep... Totally agree. It perverts the meaning of the Holiday.

Black Friday does not imply 'badness'. It is borrowed from accounting lingo. It used to be the day(allegedly) a retailer went from being in the red(operating at a loss for the year) to being in the black(realizing profit for the year).

I agree. The move should to avoid consumerism for a few days a year. I understand the competition, yet it is still a tragedy. Now industrial endeavors are little hard to shut down. Like my job where, there has always been somebody (@ least two people) there 365/24/7 for the last 50 years... You can't just shut it down. Yet, commercial towboats will stop and have dinner, docked somewhere. Those are the people the crews live with for 3 or more weeks "on."

Isn't this a problem? Retailers trying to hook people on things they don't need? We have seen where it has led to through the years... Skyrocketing debt. Where does it go when all the days get tapped out and they can't manipulate the numbers the way they want to? Isn't this all a big con game? It flies in the face of everything we should be honoring?

I do understand the needed edge... But it is really getting obnoxious.

I still think it is a dysfunction. Even the name "Black Friday" implies badness. "Door busting" is obnoxious. I understand it will always be a person's choice... Just seems needless.

Wait...perverts?? I may have to rethink this whole shopping on Thanksgiving thing.

Black Friday does not imply 'badness'. It is borrowed from accounting lingo. It used to be the day(allegedly) a retailer went from being in the red(operating at a loss for the year) to being in the black(realizing profit for the year).

I can't believe you had to explain the meaning of Black Friday. Yeah, it means badass. :lol:

I prefer Small Business Saturday.

BTW, retail prices tend to be lowest in the second week of December, but don't let that get in the way of your "family time" shopping together for sh-- from China.

I had dinner, played with my daughter, watched football. There are plenty of other days in the year for working your ass off and spending your money.

Fair enough... :nana: Gee I don't think being somebody else making it into the black so I can get in the red is a good thing... Implies something bad to me! :nana:

FOR ONE DAY OUT OF THE YEAR TO BOOT. WTF. If one day is going to make or break, then they better back it in!

Wait...perverts?? I may have to rethink this whole shopping on Thanksgiving thing.

I can't believe you had to explain the meaning of Black Friday. Yeah, it means badass. :lol:

LoL...

BTW, retail prices tend to be lowest in the second week of December, but don't let that get in the way of your "family time" shopping together for sh-- from China.

I had dinner, played with my daughter, watched football. There are plenty of other days in the year for working your ass off and spending your money.

Exactly! Not that there aren't people working and business that stays open. Retail shopping ON Thanksgiving is so dysfunctional!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I said this same thing couple pages back. When I worked at Best Buy for a couple years, they run the same deals, if not better, in the weekends leading up to Christmas. They'll just change what the deal is offered on. If it's a Toshiba 55" TV that was $499.99 they'll change it to a LG 55" that's $499.99.

My question is even if you are Xmas shopping, who's asks for expensive electronics for Xmas? Lets be honest, you're being selfish and buying these items for yourself, not your kids.

My question is even if you are Xmas shopping, who's asks for expensive electronics for Xmas? Lets be honest, you're being selfish and buying these items for yourself, not your kids.

No. Not really. Our main TV is a 23 year old 20" tube TV (disguised in a armoire for years) My son has a 52" plasma hanging on the wall of his bedroom. He received that for Christmas a few years back.

Spare the rod... Spoil the child! The little brats usually get the best over their parents... But I am going to Tampa next week and not them! :D

No. Not really. Our main TV is a 23 year old 20" tube TV (disguised in a armoire for years) My son has a 52" plasma hanging on the wall of his bedroom. He received that for Christmas a few years back.

Spare the rod... Spoil the child! The little brats usually get the best over their parents... But I am going to Tampa next week and not them! :D

Wow. I'm not sure if my daughter would ever ask for that but thats good that you did that for him.

Wow. I'm not sure if my daughter would ever ask for that but thats good that you did that for him.

It was cheap (considering what they used to go for)! We had some extra cash (was a good year a few years back) and was just over 600 bucks @ Best Buy... Ah, what the heck! His room gets shared like a family room @ times and that huge abomination is out of eyeshot of the main family room.

Quite frankly, Walmart brings this on themselves by refusing to use a ticket system like every other store does now.

What makes you think that Walmart sees this as a bad thing? The masses are acting like slobs over this crap... Walmart probably loves the PR of the in-fighting hoi polloi.

Stratford Ontario Walmart opened its doors for first time this past Friday with Black Friday sales. What was seen was fist fighting for available remaining Televisions on sale. Hand to hand combat.... Simply it was flat out madness.

Wow Mill that just seems crazy and irresponsible. That is a Grand Opening ON Black Friday. That is literally, the store was unfamiliar with none of the patrons! Like watching one of those electric football games I suppose! @ least w/already open stores, most people know where to go. Seems this would be a safety issue.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

What makes you think that Walmart see this as a bad thing? The masses are acting like slobs over this crap... Walmart probably loves the PR of the in-fighting hoi polloi.

I would be embarrassed to be an executive of the company, knowing my customers act like animals and trample/kill employees to save $10.

I would be embarrassed to be an executive of the company, knowing my customers act like animals and trample/kill employees to save $10.

I hear you! Same here! But there are all kinds of personalities out there and we don't seem like Walmart exec personalities. Something tells me they find the ones that get off on this sh*t! What? Walmart must be hiring from our other board. If they are not, then they are dumb... ;-) ;-)

was a interesting site seeing parking lot full of patrons. Stratford fought a long fight to keep Walmart out of Stratford., Compay took city to Ontario Municipal board and eventually won out. It was said Walmart not wanted in Stratford, but crowded parking lots showed otherwise. I love the community and city where I live , it tragic in my opinion the goings on of yesterday, hardly does it enhance the sensibilities of my community.

What makes you think that Walmart sees this as a bad thing? The masses are acting like slobs over this crap... Walmart probably loves the PR of the in-fighting hoi polloi.

Wow Mill that just seems crazy and irresponsible. That is a Grand Opening ON Black Friday. That is literally, the store was unfamiliar with none of the patrons! Like watching one of those electric football games I suppose! @ least w/already open stores, most people know where to go. Seems this would be a safety issue.

was a interesting site seeing parking lot full of patrons. Stratford fought a long fight to keep Walmart out of Stratford., Compay took city to Ontario Municipal board and eventually won out. It was said Walmart not wanted in Stratford, but crowded parking lots showed otherwise. I love the community and city where I live , it tragic in my opinion the goings on of yesterday, hardly does it enhance the sensibilities of my community.

I hear you. Just goes to show the many sides to humans. How materially attached people are to their consumer trappings. I am not saying stuff isn't necessary. It just goes to show the confidence game being played on a made up day. Like you said, "tragic."