Teddy Bruschi Defensive Index

Thought this was pretty interesting, I feel as though the defensive statistics that are used to judged top defenses are faulty but this is right where I see our defense being in the NFL.

Bruschi instead has put together his own formula, averaging what he views as the four key statistics: points allowed (only on defense, not including pick-sixes or special-teams scores), red zone defense (measured by percentage of touchdowns allowed versus total trips), third-down percentage and total turnovers (created solely by the defense, not including special teams).

Bills were # 8.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4753634/tedy-bruschis-defensive-index-2

Edited by Billshank Redemption

It'd be interesting to see this further weighted against strength of opponents. KC, for example, has played a powder puff schedule so far.

I like it and I agree with your additional criteria. Strength of schedule is important and has an affect on the overall rank, week to week, based on the opponent.

I think these rankings generally hold true but where the Bills have been weak is in allowing big TD plays. They certainly effect scoring but not 3rd down% (if on 1st or 2nd down) or redzone efficiency. Getting a healthier secondary should improve those numbers. I look for a strong finish from this defense.

Jets are way down the list at 28. I thought they were supposed to have a good defense?

They do, and so does Cleveland.

I agree that the stats Bruschi has cherry picked tend to be important ones but he weighs them evenly and just averages them out. That's not going to tell you much. I think I'd rather leave my advanced stats to guys who actually know a little math.