RGIII uproar & apology

simpleman

Thanks for bringing up Kaepernick, I knew I forgot someone. He's another one to me that was a little full of himself coming into the season. He has had a little bit of humble pie too. He needs it, IMO. I agree on the DC media, but his agent or advisor should have coached him better.

But why are they full of it? Should they turn down money and not do TV deals? When you're career can end on a play, you should get every dollar you can while you're playing. Peyton and Brees probably do way more commercials than both RG3 and Kaepernick. Also, it wasn't too long ago Peyton was blaming his oline for a bad playoff loss and he was in his 30s.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In general the fans/media and maybe RG3's teammates want him to use "I" more and take some resposibility. When things go bad he's a very "We" oriented guy. Alot of his off season stuff was kind of diva like and people are OK with it as long as the team is winning. When they're losing it comes off as immature.

Also, London Fletcher has recently commented that HE (London) is the leader in the Lockerroom, Not RG3 because he is too young to be the leader. Maybe that has caused some division, i don't know. Santana Moss and Garcon have made comments recently that seemed like jabs at RG3 as well.

I think RGIII is terrified that Cousins is going take his job and will do anything to keep him off the field. I think that is a big part of the reason that he came back too early from his knee injury last year, stayed in the playoff game long after he should have taken a seat, and came back from surgery this year before he was ready. In doing these things, I would argue that he put himself before the team. Griffin knows that Cousins can play and he also knows that anyone can lose his job due to an injury. I realize that it seems highly unlikely that RGIII would ever be benched, but imagine if Cousins had started the season and the Skins went 5-0. A lot of fans, and perhaps coaches and players, would be calling for Cousins to remain the starter. Watch, even after the Redskins are eliminated from contention (soon, I hope), l bet RGIII will continue to take all the snaps, even if he is hobbled. I would imagine this offseason we will hear Cousins asking for a trade.

But why are they full of it? Should they turn down money and not do TV deals? When you're career can end on a play, you should get every dollar you can while you're playing. Peyton and Brees probably do way more commercials than both RG3 and Kaepernick. Also, it wasn't too long ago Peyton was blaming his oline for a bad playoff loss and he was in his 30s.

With respect to Kaepernick, not being seen in Dolphins gear and then defending himself would be a good start. Not sure, but looks like he kinda got too comfortable in SF once Smith was traded. He is learning now never to take anything for granted.

One key phrase: Nobody got open.

I blame the receivers for not being open. If they were I could have made the play. They failed, not me.

Sorry Bob, you're the QB. You're at fault even when you're not and its your job to say so.

I don't have a problem in the way he accepted blame for that play. I do take issue with him basically giving the Eagles kudos for their game plan.

Blame the media. RG3 plays in Washington. Luck plays in Indy while Wilson plays in Seattle. You get forgot about in those places. Also, is Andrew Luck really marketable? Kaepernick got just as much hype because he plays in a big market.

The media loves to build guys up and they also love to destroy them.

This is funny. I just finished reading Klosterman's new book "I Wear the Black Hat Grappling with Villains (Real and Imagined)" which I would recommend to everyone here (there's a section on OJ). The whole book is about the reasons why we perceive some people in the public sphere to be villains and not others. As I was reading it, I thought about how it compared with NFL players, specifically RGIII (I live in DC), and how perception has turned on him, some reasons his own fault and others media/fans, etc.

There was a great section in there about Taylor Swift's perception from her first album to her second that I think sums it up perfectly (yeah I know, I'm comparing RGIII to Taylor Swift, but bear with me): “What really happened is this: People who liked Taylor Swift’s music reverse-engineered a scenario in which they could appreciate her for nonmusical reasons; two years later, different people who loathed that construction had to find a way to pre-explain why they weren’t going to enjoy her material (so they infused their prefab distaste of her persona back into her work).”

That being said, I do think last year's instant success got to RGIII and he did get a big head, and hasn't been able to shut his trap enough with the media. Whether a full year removed from surgery and humbling, disappointing second season will change that is still to be seen.

IMO RG3 is an unbridled narcissist and a famewhore. I would not be surprised if some of his teammates despise him.

He may have the best physical skillset for playing the position of any of the good young QBs that have come into the league the last number of years but he does not have the best intangibles. There is a good chance that his career will not reflect his talent because of his immaturity and lack of leadership skills. RG3 is intelligent but it is hard to change ones personality, even if one tries. It usually is what it is.

If I had to chose I would take Russel Wilson before him. All day. I would probably take Luck ahead of any QB in the league right now all things considered (specifically the probability that he will play at a high, likely elite level, for ten or twelve years).

Anyone else wonder why we make these guys go straight from a humiliating and frustrating loss to a press conference where we thirst to see them squirm and tell the world that they !@#$ed up and it's all their fault their team lost?

If 70,000 people watched you do your job live, we would expect answers pronto when you mess up

This guy can be electric to watch. Reminds me of a much more talented Flutie - polarizing, athletic, and charismatic. He is fun to watch but I'd not want him on my team. So, any uproar is just silly. He's young, developing and like most young 20 somethings.

Someone will have to show me where he didn't accept any blame.

That's pretty much all that matters to me. He didn't just throw stones and he doesn't just cast blame.

If you compare what he said with what Tom Brady said about the game ending play in Carolina you might be hard pressed to see much of a difference. The fact that his words are interpreted by his teammates differently and negatively is an indication that the lockerroom is reacting to a perception of his personality more than to what he actually said. Fletcher, the senior guy, Pierre Garçon, and now Moss, also a solid vet. There is obviously more there than a pretty non controversial post game comment. It's a reaction reflecting a sense that people who live with him for part of the year have from him. Stuff that the public at large likely never see.

True he's just a kid and maybe the maturity will come. But if it's a personality flaw maybe that won't change.

Being a hard core Bills fan living in the DC area, I get to see a lot of RG 3...from the interviews, myriad local commercials and hearing him speak during post game and mid week interviews..yes the local media is nuts bout the Skins but this kid drives me bonkers...IMHO he comes across as a me me me guy first, is constantly hyping the team up during pre game psych sessions(especially when the NFL Films camera crews are close by)...and seems to think he is the real leader of the team when his play and mouth don't match up to the accomplishments of a London Fletcher or other accomplished veteran...RG3 and 7 record indeed is what they have....

His knee surgery and Operation Patience ad campaign...his lack of personal accountability makes me wonder if this guy is a rookie phenom who needs to get his game and ego back in line by sitting down for a game or two for a team that was destined for at least the NFC Championship this year..I'll take a 6 ft 5 humble team centered EJ Manuel anyday and twice on Sunday over this kid...a Heisman Trophy and overinflated expectations and hype notwithstanding....

Blame the media. RG3 plays in Washington. Luck plays in Indy while Wilson plays in Seattle. You get forgot about in those places. Also, is Andrew Luck really marketable? Kaepernick got just as much hype because he plays in a big market.

The media loves to build guys up and they also love to destroy them.

This does bring up a good point. I've heard a lot about Kaep regressing this year, and about Washington's woes, yet surprisingly little about the 7-3 Colts and the 9-1 Seahawks.

Overall, I think that RGIII is a pretty good quarterback, and I can't deny him that.

Is he elite? Ehhh....

Has he been overexposed in the media? Oh, without a doubt.

I think these factors are a result of all the scrutiny more than anything.

last season RGIII seemed to say all the right things.

this season, he's said a lot of dumb stuff

let me paraphrase a few that I recall

I try to draw the penalty

I'll run how I feel I need to run to protect myself

“I would say I’m 100 percent, but you can’t put a number on it,” Griffin said on ESPN 980, “no one ever knows when they are 100 percent or what percentage they’re playing at. The biggest thing is, I’m not below 100 percent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/27/rg3-im-100-percent-but-you-cant-put-a-number-on-it/

and calling out the coach mid season is pretty dumb

You have a point. I'm not saying turn down endorsement deals, but Peyton and Brees don't seem to have let this fame get to their heads. I think this season will be a learning tool for both. I expect a pretty good rebound from both next season, but they did need a BIG dose of humility this season and got it.

You have a point. I'm not saying turn down endorsement deals, but Peyton and Brees don't seem to have let this fame get to their heads. I think this season will be a learning tool for both. I expect a pretty good rebound from both next season, but they did need a BIG dose of humility this season and got it.

Are you sure about this? 00120065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_469b5687-f4ab-4992-a2ac-46c322b7a161_20130807193135_ManningRap_080713_UL_300.jpg:D

Personally, I just think the overreaction to everything is out of control. These guys are like 23 years old. Folks were calling Newton a bust and a baby. Look at him now. Jim Kelly was 26 his rookie year and by most accounts, he didn't mature until his mid 30s. RG3 graduated early, has a military family, is married, and single handedly turned around Baylor. The guy will be a star in this league for years to come.

My personal opinion? Shanahan does not want RGIII. I think he would much rather roll with Cousins as his QB. After the Redskins suffer another loss or two he will "rest RGIII" in favor of Cousins for the remainder of the season. Mark my words. Mike has it in for Griffin if you ask me. If Houston is a smart organization they would inquire as to whether they could take Griffin off the Redskins' hands. It's smart money for them and Griffin would be going home. Let Shanny crash and burn in DC. Doubt Snyder would go for it, but smart money makes that phone call.

yea but things like wearing the dolphins hat and telling fans to deal with his style, i think showed a bit more of an ego than signing a sponsorship. or some of the content in their interviews as well.

i didnt think the RG3 quote was as bad as many reporters wanted to make it seem but a few of the young guys definitely seemed to come across as having thought they arrived already, while the long term greats seem to keep the attitude that the next game is the one where everyone could catch up to them.

Are you sure about this? 00120065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_469b5687-f4ab-4992-a2ac-46c322b7a161_20130807193135_ManningRap_080713_UL_300.jpg:D

Personally, I just think the overreaction to everything is out of control. These guys are like 23 years old. Folks were calling Newton a bust and a baby. Look at him now. Jim Kelly was 26 his rookie year and by most accounts, he didn't mature until his mid 30s. RG3 graduated early, has a military family, is married, and single handedly turned around Baylor. The guy will be a star in this league for years to come.

Agreed. I think Kaep and RGIII will be good for years to come. My point in all of this is that these two in particular(RGIII and Kaep) needed this to happen to them. They handled the fame different that Wilson and Luck. They will be a lot more mature this offseason and come in to camp ready to lead a group of men. One more thing about RGIII, IMO he just needs to SHUT UP!!! I mean he felt the need to interrupt a press conference this past summer to explain that he and coach don't have a rift. If he has to keep going over and explaining his comments, maybe he should just not talk so much. JMO. BTW Peyton and Eli were awesome in that clip.

Edited by Dopey

This is funny. I just finished reading Klosterman's new book "I Wear the Black Hat Grappling with Villains (Real and Imagined)" which I would recommend to everyone here (there's a section on OJ). The whole book is about the reasons why we perceive some people in the public sphere to be villains and not others. As I was reading it, I thought about how it compared with NFL players, specifically RGIII (I live in DC), and how perception has turned on him, some reasons his own fault and others media/fans, etc.

There was a great section in there about Taylor Swift's perception from her first album to her second that I think sums it up perfectly (yeah I know, I'm comparing RGIII to Taylor Swift, but bear with me): “What really happened is this: People who liked Taylor Swift’s music reverse-engineered a scenario in which they could appreciate her for nonmusical reasons; two years later, different people who loathed that construction had to find a way to pre-explain why they weren’t going to enjoy her material (so they infused their prefab distaste of her persona back into her work).”

That being said, I do think last year's instant success got to RGIII and he did get a big head, and hasn't been able to shut his trap enough with the media. Whether a full year removed from surgery and humbling, disappointing second season will change that is still to be seen.

Who does Taylor Swift play for ?