Howard and Simon this morning with Doug Marrone

I think its important to take into account that Marrone was about 10 minutes late calling into his segment. The entire interview was awkward. I was stunned they didn't ask about the fourth down punt from the 37. Howard seemed totally thrown and at the end of the interview, even before Marrone had finished saying goodbye, said "We have Steve Ott on the line, anything exciting happen this week Steve?..." and started his conversation with Steve.

It seems Howard was pissed Marrone wasn't on time and lost his composure during the interview. As a 20+ year radio guy, I would have thought he could have handled the curveball of Marrone being late a bit better.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally dislike WGR. I never listen, but checked out the vault for this. I think they generally push a little bit, but Marrone's response escalated to aggressive rather quickly. It was generally an awkward conversation overall, and a little aggressive on both sides. A little cringe worthy with the get excited about our troops bit (although I agree), and the whose show is this, mine or yours. Obvious power struggles

I think its important to take into account that Marrone was about 10 minutes late calling into his segment. The entire interview was awkward. I was stunned they didn't ask about the fourth down punt from the 37. Howard seemed totally thrown and at the end of the interview, even before Marrone had finished saying goodbye, said "We have Steve Ott on the line, anything exciting happen this week Steve?..." and started his conversation with Steve.

It seems Howard was pissed Marrone wasn't on time and lost his composure during the interview. As a 20+ year radio guy, I would have thought he could have handled the curveball of Marrone being late a bit better.

I think Marrone doesn't take those guys seriously, and I don't either when it comes to covering the Bills. They don't offer any insight into the Bills. The only I hear any is when they have Chris Brown on. As many say CB doesn't break stories and maybe that is true, but he definitely has the pulse of the organization and knows what is going on. And knows football. Howard and Jeremy seem much more comfortable talking about the Sabres. I love when they are "breaking down the game" and decide to use a hockey analogy to describe a play. Riveting.

I generally dislike WGR. I never listen, but checked out the vault for this. I think they generally push a little bit, but Marrone's response escalated to aggressive rather quickly. It was generally an awkward conversation overall, and a little aggressive on both sides. A little cringe worthy with the get excited about our troops bit (although I agree), and the whose show is this, mine or yours. Obvious power struggles

I diud catch the "Is this my show" from Marrone and they responded "It is called the Doug Marrone "segment". "

Mind. Blown. (mostly because that is an impossible scenario)

;)

You are correct. (The author acknowledges this in the comment section of the article.) This graph should stop at 90 or have N/A. Likewise it is impossible to have 4th and 4 from the 3. Currently it seems to indicate a FG as the correct choice in that impossible situation.

How about always going for the TD on 4th down inside the 6 yard line? Revolutionary!

The only I hear any is when they have Chris Brown on. As many say CB doesn't break stories and maybe that is true, but he definitely has the pulse of the organization and knows what is going on.

Chris Brown is employed by the Bills. His "pulse" of the organization is the front office feeding information they want fed to the media. It's nothing groundbreaking nor impressive.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I think Marrone tries to get people pumped up and excited...maybe overcompensates a little because they are 3-7 and he has to act optimistic or no one will.

I also think he has zero respect for Howard and Jeremy's football knowledge and nitpicks the hell out of how they ask their questions.

I don't have a problem with it. I stand by the fact that Marrone will be a solid head coach here and will get this club to the playoffs....hopefully sooner than later.

Edited by zow2

I think Marrone tries to get people pumped up and excited...maybe overcompensates a little because they are 3-7 and he has to act optimistic or no one will.

I also think he has zero respect for Howard and Jeremy's football knowledge and nitpicks the hell out of how they ask their questions.

I don't have a problem with it. I stand by the fact that Marrone will be a solid head coach here and will get this club to the playoffs....hopefully sooner than later.

Dead-nuts accurate, I think ... Marrone knows full well that Howard is just the old jovial guy & Jeremy is the wanna-be. I do not dislike what White brings to the show, but he does act like he knows a lot more about football than he truly does (by virtue of his snarkiness and his "all-22" film breakdowns, etc).

I now nothing about his job, but I know that there is statistical evidence that shows an aggresive approach to 4th down, based on field position and yards to gain, would translate to more points in a game.

The flaw is using "standard" statistical evidence as opposed to "team specific." The NFL average may say do one thing, but your team's capabilities might not fit that average. Also can you imagine the presser when asked why Marrone went for it and failed if he says "The chart said it would work?" Rule of thumb: Any play that doesn't work was stupid and the wrong thing to do and you're an idiot for not doing the other thing.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Chris Brown is employed by the Bills. His "pulse" of the organization is the front office feeding information they want fed to the media. It's nothing groundbreaking nor impressive.

It is more impressive than what I get from the guys on the radio! I am familiar with what his role is. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

The flaw is using "standard" statistical evidence as opposed to "team specific." The NFL average may say do one thing, but your team's capabilities might not fit that average. Also can you imagine the presser when asked why Marrone went for it and failed if he says "The chart said it would work?" Rule of thumb: Any play that doesn't work was stupid and the wrong thing to do and you're an idiot for not doing the other thing.

PTR

A coach would have to make a decision at the beginning of the year that this is how he would play, understanding that in any one particular game it might backfire but over the course of a season it would be the right call more often than not. At each post-game press conference he'd be saying, "this is how we do it, and it won't always work but we believe over the long run it's the right way to play."

He got aggressive with Howard and Simon (came across like he was calling them out on the air). It was very awkward with some of the questions about Graham, Hogan and the WR's. IMO Marrone came across as delusional. Just my opinion.

Marrone also admitted he is not keen using spiller in the passing game. Especially vertically. Said it's easier to hand the ball off to him. Only likes utilizing screens, very short stuff.

Yes limit our most dynamic talent on this team and limit plays which get him space. Sounds great!

As Dick Jauron said "its tough to win in the NFL".

This concerns me a little bit because you'd think they've seen the game tapes of Spiller splitting out and getting behind the secondary deep on past occasions. Given our WR situation at present, I'd hope they would be willing to let Spiller run some routes.

GO BILLS!!!

PTR

Yep. And alternatively, it was a gutsy - if not brilliant - call to make if it does work.

This concerns me a little bit because you'd think they've seen the game tapes of Spiller splitting out and getting behind the secondary deep on past occasions. Given our WR situation at present, I'd hope they would be willing to let Spiller run some routes.

GO BILLS!!!

There's also the thought that Marrone knows better than to be too specific when on the radio talking to local talk show hosts. It's as if they (and some fans) expect Marrone to say, "Howard, when we line CJ up to the left of EJ that means he's either going to run a toss sweep off LT or a wheel route underneath."

It is more impressive than what I get from the guys on the radio! I am familiar with what his role is.

Chris Brown copied the transcript of the Howard and Simon show and reported about CJ not likely being involved in the passing game as a WR. Impressive work for sure!

http://boards.buffal...-at-WR-unlikely

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I wonder how any of us would deal with a weekly second-guessing session with two people who know nothing about your job?

PTR

Promo, you're welcome to join any of my client calls or status meetings with me and my boss - Maronne is far nicer than I...

Also, ya'll crazy, I didn't get contention out of that interview - it was Doug trying to have a little fun and bust balls. Seemed fine to me!

Also, ya'll crazy, I didn't get contention out of that interview - it was Doug trying to have a little fun and bust balls. Seemed fine to me!

I feel the same and it is very frustrating to hear people continue to agree with the op without listening I the interview.