Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

well, i dont think they WANT to lose, but i think plenty of coaches make the wrong choices on a regular basis. even the good ones.

this one just stands out as it seems like it shouldve been rather simple to get right and no one has presented a reason why we did get it right beyond "but what if rogers making the team made everyone else stop working or smoke pot and stuff." otherwise, its simply "maybe he was worse than we knew" or "he wouldnt have hogans 6 special teams tackles"

and to your earlier point that none of us saw enough of him - several of us saw a lot of him at tennessee - thats why we are frustrated. it seems a recurring theme is the ones that saw the least are saying no one knows what kind of talent he has.

Evaluating him around college talent doesn't count!! Vince Young and many others looked great in college too. So what did he do in the BILLS camp to earn a spot.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a 1 catch highlight reel? What else do you got? lol

And yea TJ beat him out. Not to mention Rogers 14 receptions Graham 23.

You guys must think the coaches want to loose.

TJ Graham has 16 games played, Da'Rick had 5 games played. But please where is TJ Grahams even one highlight reel catch?

It cool that we all have different opinions!!!

At some point I give the coaches the benefit of the doubt. I hardly think that 14 receptions in enough to create an "I told you so". The coaches had him in camp and didnt think he was the guy for the team, that doesn't mean he will never make a good receiver. Most 4th and 5th receivers make the team for special teams work, and we didnt see him at all on special teams at all. I dont think any of us here saw he enough to make the call if it was a good cut or not.

Time will tell if he was the fish the got away. That does not seem to be a problem for the bills, because they have not always brought in good talent.

If he was cut by the Bills and then signed by another team, earned a starting position, made some big contributions right away it would be different.

Well...I certainly agree there are differing opinions on this subject... :thumbsup:

Rogers really only played one full season as a starting WR in College...He was undrafted and raw...The idea that he could go anywhere and earn a starting spot as a rookie is well beyond any possible expectation...So I'm not sure that can be considered at this time...It's an impossibility...

I'll admit that many of us here are making projections concerning Rogers...No question about it...It's easy to say only 14 receptions is not enough evidence to prove anything...And no question at face value that's true...But it's also true that Rogers has only been on the field for 5 games...And in those 5 games he has 15 receptions for 238 yards and 2 TD's...

So...Lets just hypothetically say Rogers plays 16 games with the same production he had in the first 5...His totals for 16 games would be somewhere around 48 receptions, 760 yards, and 6 TD's...Now granted...He's got Andrew Luck throwing him the ball and God knows the Bills don't have that kind of talent at QB...So...Let's take those numbers and cut them in half...That's 24 receptions, 380 yards, and 3 TD's...Those stats are actually ever so slightly better than TJ Graham had as our #3 WR this past year...So...Rogers projected over 16 games, and cut in half, could have been the Bills 3rd best WR in 2013...He has that kind of talent...He's already proved that much...

So is it not safe to say there is reason for concern over this? The Bills are VERY likely to use yet another premium Draft pick at WR in 2014, and our HC admitted he was not concerned about long range potential whatsoever when deciding to cut Rogers...To me that's alarming...It certainly is not something that will make or break Marrone...But it's looking like keeping Rogers could have made it a heck of a lot easier on him, and the team going forward...If we have Rogers now maybe the Bills are looking O-Line or LB with that #9 overall instead of WR...These are team building decisions that can go well beyond the initial decision...And I'm not saying it's the same situation at all, but believe me when I tell you there were a hell of a lot of folks right here on this board that said Marshawn Lynch would never amount to anything once we dealt him to Seattle...I look at things a bit differently...You're trying to eliminate needs, not create them or break even...I just think Marrone made a mistake on this one...And furthermore I blame Whaley for not leaning on him a bit to assure Rogers got at least a year to show if he can develop... B-)

Why must this be some huge philosophical debate. The team had to make cuts and take the best WRs for their team. Da'Rick didn't make da'cut. He was beat out by other UDFAs.

I don't know that this has really been established. All we know is that he was cut and other guys weren't. That doesn't necessarily mean he was beaten out. It could simply mean that the coach wanted to make a statement. If in fact he was cut because of performance rather than behavioral reasons, I'd say that's a scathing indictment of the FO.

What a 1 catch highlight reel? What else do you got? lol

And yea TJ beat him out. Not to mention Rogers 14 receptions Graham 23.

You guys must think the coaches want to loose.

Are we conveniently excluding his 100 yd TD game during the season?

As a matter of fact he did. There was an article or two about that immediately after the draft. It's like Burfict - No one wanted to have to explain why they burned a draft pick on the guy with character concerns, but once they could bring him in w/o consequence a lot of teams were interested.

And he picked the Bills over other teams? Thought no one want to come to Buffalo.

Randy Moss, Chris Carter and Dez Bryant all had character concerns and were drafted to name a few.

Evaluating him around college talent doesn't count!! Vince Young and many others looked great in college too. So what did he do in the BILLS camp to earn a spot.

So why even draft? Might as well just pick players out of a hat. NFL GMs should have the benefit of this insight so they can stop wasting resources on the draft and just target UDFAs.

So why even draft? Might as well just pick players out of a hat. NFL GMs should have the benefit of this insight so they can stop wasting resources on the draft and just target UDFAs.

To make the claim based on watching him around college players means that he should have made the Bills is crazy. The coaches watched him around NFL players and decided that they would pass on him.

well, i dont think they WANT to lose, but i think plenty of coaches make the wrong choices on a regular basis. even the good ones.

this one just stands out as it seems like it shouldve been rather simple to get right and no one has presented a reason why we did get it right beyond "but what if rogers making the team made everyone else stop working or smoke pot and stuff." otherwise, its simply "maybe he was worse than we knew" or "he wouldnt have hogans 6 special teams tackles"

and to your earlier point that none of us saw enough of him - several of us saw a lot of him at tennessee - thats why we are frustrated. it seems a recurring theme is the ones that saw the least are saying no one knows what kind of talent he has.

If he was as good in camp and pre-season as he was as a sophomore at Tennessee, he would have made the team. Too many drops, too many incorrect routes, too many wrong answers. He didn't perform well enough. Please don't confuse his few spectacular moments with consistent play in camp. EVERY other receiver had just as many circus catches at one time or another. And for as much as everyone wants to make this an issue about Hogan, which is simply ignorant btw, Hogan didn't seem to drop a single pass all camp, regardless of which QB was throwing to him. He consistently found soft spots in the zone to exploit. It was readily apparent that Rogers needed work on that aspect. But run a go route and out-muscle a DB? Well, Rogers can do that. Unfortunately, the position is a bit more nuanced. And he seemed to RESENT having to play special teams. Especially gunner on the punt team. His reps were greatly reduced as a result, too.

Letting him go was about as an informed a decision to release a player as their ever was.

GO BILLS!!!

To make the claim based on watching him around college players means that he should have made the Bills is crazy. The coaches watched him around NFL players and decided that they would pass on him.

Many of those college players are playing on Sunday. It was the SEC. Our own ron brooks was a nickel corner in that conference, for perspective on the caliber of players he went against. Rogers led that conference in receiving as a sophomore.

And to the other point, yes 14 other teams allegedly tried to sign him after the draft.

Last up, no VY isn't a hall of famer but id take a rookie Vince young over a 3rd year player that's never made a team and would be available in November if I changed my mind, wouldn't you?

Edited by NoSaint

I don't know that this has really been established. All we know is that he was cut and other guys weren't. That doesn't necessarily mean he was beaten out. It could simply mean that the coach wanted to make a statement. If in fact he was cut because of performance rather than behavioral reasons, I'd say that's a scathing indictment of the FO.

Established:

"Marrone on roster cuts, Da'Rick Rogers: "He has some skill ... We feel that we have better players on the roster than those released""

Okay, then he was either deflecting, lying, or he's an idiot. That's now established.

Based on every rep by every receiver in camp and preseason action, he was telling the truth. He was outplayed and outperformed at a time when he could least afford to be outplayed and outperformed. His attitude vis a vis playing special teams didn't help him either.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Based on every rep by every receiver in camp and preseason action, he was telling the truth. He was outplayed and outperformed at a time when he could least afford to be outplayed and outperformed. His attitude vis a vis playing special teams didn't help him either.

GO BILLS!!!

I can understand if it was based on attitude. That's why I haven't taken a hard stand on this, because I can imagine scenarios where his behavior would have warranted his dismissal. If it were simply that he wasn't the most game ready option right now I have a tough time seeing how they justify that position.

If he was as good in camp and pre-season as he was as a sophomore at Tennessee, he would have made the team. Too many drops, too many incorrect routes, too many wrong answers. He didn't perform well enough. Please don't confuse his few spectacular moments with consistent play in camp. EVERY other receiver had just as many circus catches at one time or another. And for as much as everyone wants to make this an issue about Hogan, which is simply ignorant btw, Hogan didn't seem to drop a single pass all camp, regardless of which QB was throwing to him. He consistently found soft spots in the zone to exploit. It was readily apparent that Rogers needed work on that aspect. But run a go route and out-muscle a DB? Well, Rogers can do that. Unfortunately, the position is a bit more nuanced. And he seemed to RESENT having to play special teams. Especially gunner on the punt team. His reps were greatly reduced as a result, too.

Letting him go was about as an informed a decision to release a player as their ever was.

GO BILLS!!!

Informed may not be the right word. There was reasoning behind the decision I'm sure. I would say the reasoning was flawed, big time.

Also, training camp heroes don't necessarily make good nfl players. Hogan proved that pretty quickly.

Edited by dubs

I don't know Dibs...

It surprises me a bit that, with everything this organization has been through over these years, there are some folks who are quick to assume Rogers was some sort of ticking time-bomb while completely ignoring the possibility that our HC simply made a poor decision...

Heh...from the responses I got(and re-reading my post) it is obvious that I didn't make my point very clearly. I think I got distracted over the concept of a player taking a dump on the GMs desk.....and what a great news story it would make :w00t: .

I for one am totally open to the concept that the Bills made a mistake in regards to DR. The firing of Hiliard might even have some relation to the DR situation.....who knows? The thing is.....nobody does know. So to make up ones mind with incomplete data and assume(and believe with such conviction) that the blame belongs on the shoulders of the Bills in this situation(which so many people in this thread have done) is irrational.

In my previous post I was attempting to show a list of negative actions, reducing in severity, that a player could do which might get people who have previously assumed blame on the Bills to perhaps realize that the Bills might have been justified in their actions.

My list wasn't very good(too many actions were too severe).....but the concept still stands. If there is a possible situation that may have occurred which one would think it a reasonable action to drop DR......whether that be not turning up to meetings, not learning the plays, or taking a dump on the GMs desk.....then as one has no idea if DR did or didn't commit an offense to that level.....one cannot assume blame on the Bills.

I have no problems with people acting from emotion and placing blame on the Bills in this situation. 14 years of mistakes pretty much earns them that sort of response. I do however have a problem when people try to rationalize their dogmatic emotional responses.

What do the Da'Rick supporters want? You want Marrone to resign? Whaley to apologize to Rogers?

You want a public statement assuming complete responsibility for cutting a player that has gone on to catch a few passes from Andrew Luck?

You want the GM to state that "Because of the Da'Rick situation, were are re-evaluating all aspects of the way we evaluate talent"?

What do you want?

Informed may not be the right word. There was reasoning behind the decision I'm sure. I would say the reasoning was flawed, big time.

Also, training camp heroes don't necessarily make good nfl players. Hogan proved that pretty quickly.

Hogan wasn't a training camp hero. He was just a very consistent player.

UDFAs with checkered pasts, inconsistent play, difificulty grasping the offense, and questionable attitudes don't necessarily make good NFL players, either.

It wasn't a good fit. Nothing flawed in that line of thinking at all.

GO BILLS!!!

What do the Da'Rick supporters want? You want Marrone to resign? Whaley to apologize to Rogers?

You want a public statement assuming complete responsibility for cutting a player that has gone on to catch a few passes from Andrew Luck?

You want the GM to state that "Because of the Da'Rick situation, were are re-evaluating all aspects of the way we evaluate talent"?

What do you want?

Flip the question. What do you want? and why?

Training camp for rookies is risk reward balancing act.

really who and why does any one care about this UDFA he has gotten plenty of attention from Bills detractors. Is this Fox News ?

I dont care about Hogan and i dont care about weed head superstar . I do care about SJ and Woods and Goodwin. i dont want to talk about Graham : (

but get real folks. Put it down .

Edited by 3rdand12

54 pages and counting on Da'Rick Rogers is pretty impressive. By comparison the other players threads on page one: Dareus- 2 pages, Kiko- 2 pages, Nickell Robey- 3 pages, Byrd- 3 pages.

As if Byrd hasn't had hundreds of pages since August and kiko 15 pages of chuck Norris jokes alone

Hogan wasn't a training camp hero. He was just a very consistent player.

UDFAs with checkered pasts, inconsistent play, difificulty grasping the offense, and questionable attitudes don't necessarily make good NFL players, either.

It wasn't a good fit. Nothing flawed in that line of thinking at all.

GO BILLS!!!

True.

What I disagree with is the fit. Our staff decided it wasn't a fit. Doesn't mean they were correct.

Like I said a few time, I like them. In fact I can envision the likely scenario in which the decision was made to cut him. I just happen to think that they put too much stock in "the Marrone Way". Got caught up too much in a "culture" and made a mistake.

As if Byrd hasn't had hundreds of pages since August and kiko 15 pages of chuck Norris jokes alone

I wonder if you add up the Kiko pages if you get to 54. I doubt it. I don't really care. It's just bizarre what catches fire around here.

I wonder if you add up the Kiko pages if you get to 54. I doubt it. I don't really care. It's just bizarre what catches fire around here.

There are three threads with his name in the title totaling 10 pages since the the season ended. If we went back months there'd easily be much more than 50. It's likely closer to 40 threads for a couple hundred pages though instead of 1 totally consolidated conversation

If Buffalo went 10-6 and made the playoffs there would be 0 pages of Da'Rick Rogers threads

GO BILLS!!!

I'm assuming that the Hogan comment is a shot at me. I like to think (and have proven) to be an informed poster. The guy does not belong in the NFL and he would not be making a positive impact on any team. I don't apologize for holding my team to higher standards than street free agent scrubs.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

If the Bills had a QB like Luck the passing production would have been great, and everyone would be talking about how great the Bills receivers are!

Maybe Rogers is smarter than we think, when he saw how poorly the QBs threw the ball he wanted out!

When I was in high school I had a friend who was a big kitty. At the time a new candy bar called PB Max had just come out. I started calling this guy PB Max (PB stood for kitty Boy) hoping it would catch on. After about a week no one else picked up on it and I was about to give up on the name. Then one day we found a baby bird that had fallen out of its nest and we went back to PB's house to call my dad to ask him what we should do with it. PB was afraid the bird would contaminate his house and didn't want me to go inside with it so I asked my cousin to call my dad for me. He said "Me? why don't you call him?" I respnded, "Because PB Max won't let me go in his house." To which my cousin (who wasn't as big as PB or me) said "Aw come on, PB." PB erupted, bucked up, and said in a threating confrontational way "DON'T CALL ME PB! DON'T !@#$IN CALL ME PB!" From that moment on his name was PB.

The moral of the story is, often times things that would fade away on their own are kept alive by protest.

I'm assuming that the Hogan comment is a hot at me. I like to think (and have proven) to be an informed poster. The guy does not along in the NFL and he would not be making a positive impact on any team. I don't apologize for holding my team to higher standards than street free agent scrubs.

I agree. When opponents run plain vanilla defenses, like in preseason, it's a little easier for below average receivers to shine.

Edited by dubs

What do the Da'Rick supporters want?

You want Marrone to resign?

No

Whaley to apologize to Rogers?

Hell No

.. .. I'd settle for some short under his breath statement from Marrone saying Da'Rick may be better than he thought.

I hope that the GM had no say at all in Da'Rick getting cut. Coaches better be able to keep/cut the players they think can win the most games.

What do you want?

I want everyone from here on forth and forever to stop saying the words "character issues" and "Da'Rick Rogers" in the same sentence. Unless of course Da'Rick does something in his NFL career that were to indicate he has anything even close to resembling character issues. I want the world to stop stringing this guy up as some sort of hellboy trouble-maker because he smoked a little weed as a kid in his second year of college. If anyone ever brings up his failed drug tests they must immediately acknowledge the two years straight after that where he passed every single drug test.

Edited by conner

GO BILLS!!!

Doesn't this kind of say it all?

I'm assuming that the Hogan comment is a shot at me. I like to think (and have proven) to be an informed poster. The guy does not belong in the NFL and he would not be making a positive impact on any team. I don't apologize for holding my team to higher standards than street free agent scrubs.

While I don't exactly think Hogan's a star, I'd call your attention to the Jets game at home, in which Hogan had 3 catches for 29 yards...all of which resulted in first downs (2 of them coming on 3rd downs) during TD drives. I would call that making a positive impact.

Doesn't this kind of say it all?

While I don't exactly think Hogan's a star, I'd call your attention to the Jets game at home, in which Hogan had 3 catches for 29 yards...all of which resulted in first downs (2 of them coming on 3rd downs) during TD drives. I would call that making a positive impact.

Just curious why Rogers is always compared to Hogan and Graham? Both of these guys made the active roster whereas Rogers didn't even make final cuts. I would think he would be compared to guys they signed to the PS? Or are we saying he should have actually made the active roster instead of Hogan or Graham?

He also had a costly drop in that game if I don't recall. I am glad that we hold our players to such a high standard. How many guys in the world could you find that could equal his career production? I am assuming that his career will end with 10 catches and 83 yards. There are PS guys, CFL guys, DIII guys, FCS guy and a few guys on UB's roster that could give you that if given the chance.

He also had a costly drop in that game if I don't recall. I am glad that we hold our players to such a high standard. How many guys in the world could you find that could equal his career production? I am assuming that his career will end with 10 catches and 83 yards. There are PS guys, CFL guys, DIII guys, FCS guy and a few guys on UB's roster that could give you that if given the chance.

Who are the WRs on our PS? I am trying to remember... Kauffman was one, Roberson? None of them ended up playing in a reg season game if I recall. Just wondering who is out there to compete for a spot for next season. Kevin Elliott was looking OK until he tore his ACL in PS but not sure if he would have made the team.

Just curious why Rogers is always compared to Hogan and Graham? Both of these guys made the active roster whereas Rogers didn't even make final cuts. I would think he would be compared to guys they signed to the PS? Or are we saying he should have actually made the active roster instead of Hogan or Graham?

I would have kept him on the active roster because I dd not think that you would be able to sneak him onto the PS. In hindsight, you would have been able to but we didn't know that at the time. I have said if it came down to Rogers or even Graham for example I would have kept Graham. A case could have been made that he could develop into a contributing NFL player. I would not have kept Easley or Hogan over him. Easley had never been able to stay healthy but has become a ST ace. He has carved out a role. Hogan to me is limited athletically and has never proven anywhere (check his college stats at Monmouth) that he can play. I do not understand why you would use any resources on someone like that. If not Rogers, I would have liked to have seen Brandon Kaufman get that spot.

I just don't see a reason to keep Hogan, Sam Young or Colin Brown. I would rather try to find a project like a Mike Jasper type to fill that spot. The way that I view it is that if they are not going to get any production from a particular spot they should use that spot on someone that has potential to develop into more. If those guys don't develop you can always find someone to for you what Sam Young gives you.

Who are the WRs on our PS? I am trying to remember... Kauffman was one, Roberson? None of them ended up playing in a reg season game if I recall. Just wondering who is out there to compete for a spot for next season. Kevin Elliott was looking OK until he tore his ACL in PS but not sure if he would have made the team.

Kaufman is one of them. I think that he may be able to help the team. He can kind of fill that David Nelson role.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's amazing that this thread is still alive. It's clear that the cutting of Rogers was just another dose of Buffalo Bills organizational disfunction. For Pete's sake, there are boarders on here that weren't even alive during the Bills's last winning season, but still people want to give the Bills the benefit of the doubt? It truly amazes me.

You can marginalize it if you'd like; I don't think it's necessary in order to make the point you've been making for 10+ pages now (and I happen to think you're above it).