Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

This thread is like Anderson Silva's leg break. As much as I want to look away I just keep peeking.

I was thinking the very same thing...like driving past a bad accident on the highway - you don't want to look...but you do anyway

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is like Anderson Silva's leg break. As much as I want to look away I just keep peeking.

I was thinking the very same thing...like driving past a bad accident on the highway - you don't want to look...but you do anyway

You two are in the pile up. :lol:

So if Reggie Wayne doesn't get IRed would this thread have come back to life?

True, but if Stevie and Woods ever missed a couple games (like they did) we might have a thread titled "Thank god we kept Da'Rick, the kid has talent that will grow with coaching" or something.

Instead we get, "Now we know why Hogan and Easley don't ever see the field."

Edited by FireChan

True, but if Stevie and Woods ever missed a couple games (like they did) we might have a thread titled "Thank god we kept Da'Rick, the kid has talent that will grow with coaching" or something.

Instead we get, "Now we know why Hogan and Easley don't ever see the field."

Yes, but Rogers could not beat those guys out in camp!! If he could they would have kept him. He showed absolutely nothing in camp but he should have had a roster spot?

Some of you guys are acting like he made the pro-bowl with his 14 receptions.

Yes, but Rogers could not beat those guys out in camp!! If he could they would have kept him. He showed absolutely nothing in camp but he should have had a roster spot?

Not an accurate statement.

It seems you think that no one could be looking for something different than you/marrone.

Not an accurate statement.

really what did you see that I didnt?

It seems you think that no one could be looking for something different than you/marrone.

I know you have a love affair with this guy and thats cool. But, are you saying you or anyone else saw something in camp that would make you think he was a superstar.

Its funny how some are so down about the cutting of a UDFA that might make it, and think the Bills FO and coached are clueless.

He could be the fish that got away and very well may turn out to be a great NFL player and I dont wish any bad for him. But, I guess in the end all the NFL organizations suck for passing on Tom Brady several times and not drafting Kurt Warner.

really what did you see that I didnt?

I know you have a love affair with this guy and thats cool. But, are you saying you or anyone else saw something in camp that would make you think he was a superstar.

Its funny how some are so down about the cutting of a UDFA that might make it, and think the Bills FO and coached are clueless.

He could be the fish that got away and very well may turn out to be a great NFL player and I dont wish any bad for him. But, I guess in the end all the NFL organizations suck for passing on Tom Brady several times and not drafting Kurt Warner.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the guys potential wasn't considered a secret. I noticed he was the most physically gifted WR we've had under contract in years. Did you not notice that? There's a reason the complaints started in August, not this Monday.

He didn't beat Reggie Wayne or TY Hilton out either.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the guys potential wasn't considered a secret. I noticed he was the most physically gifted WR we've had under contract in years. Did you not notice that? There's a reason the complaints started in August, not this Monday.

Maybe no secret but not one of the 32 NFL teams was willing to take a flyer on him in the draft, why not? Are they all that stupid? Do you think he turned down a lot of other teams to sign with the Bills as a UDFA? And what exactly did you see in camp that the staff missed. I didnt see you post any cheers about Roby in August who made a much larger impact as a UDFA than Rogers.

He didn't beat Reggie Wayne or TY Hilton out either.

Or any other of the colts receivers.

You know he will probably finish this season with more catches than Chris Hogan has in his entire life past high school.

Maybe no secret but not one of the 32 NFL teams was willing to take a flyer on him in the draft, why not? Are they all that stupid? Do you think he turned down a lot of other teams to sign with the Bills as a UDFA? And what exactly did you see in camp that the staff missed. I didnt see you post any cheers about Roby in August who made a much larger impact as a UDFA than Rogers.

No. Maybe the kid will help the Colts and they will help him. But no, coaches, scouts, and NFL personnel guys aren't stupid. They have access to so much more information than, you, I, or any fan could ever have. Colts gave him a shot after they were decimated at WR - good for them. He has changed his course of action after his previous actions didn't work here, and seen positive results - good for him.

He will be forced to play more with yet another Colts WR out.

No. Maybe the kid will help the Colts and they will help him. But no, coaches, scouts, and NFL personnel guys aren't stupid. They have access to so much more information than, you, I, or any fan could ever have. Colts gave him a shot after they were decimated at WR - good for them. He has changed his course of action after his previous actions didn't work here, and seen positive results - good for him.

They gave him a shot then let him go then were forced to resign him.b.c of how bad the WR situation is in Indy.

I don't understand how people don't understand the risk/reward concept and apply it here. Keeping Da"rick Rogers on a team that needs exactly what he has the potential to be, on a team that wasn't winning anything this year, in the hopes that he develops and becomes a great receiver is the very DEFINITION of low risk potential/high reward potential.

If the kid made the team and really did something to screw up or showed that there is no way he was going to 'get it' here in Buffalo, then guess what. CUT HIM and sign Chris Hogan or any of the other dozens of Chris Hogan type receivers that you can open your window and spit on in the NFL.

I don't understand how people don't understand the risk/reward concept and apply it here. Keeping Da"rick Rogers on a team that needs exactly what he has the potential to be, on a team that wasn't winning anything this year, in the hopes that he develops and becomes a great receiver is the very DEFINITION of low risk potential/high reward potential.

If the kid made the team and really did something to screw up or showed that there is no way he was going to 'get it' here in Buffalo, then guess what. CUT HIM and sign Chris Hogan or any of the other dozens of Chris Hogan type receivers that you can open your window and spit on in the NFL.

Ha ha, I have spent 52 pages trying to say exactly what you just so eloquently stated. Well done, sir.

I don't even look at it as risk reward as there was no risk!! It was a free look.

Ha ha, I have spent 52 pages trying to say exactly what you just so eloquently stated. Well done, sir.

I don't even look at it as risk reward as there was no risk!! It was a free look.

yup, full circle to the first arguments of page 1 im sure - without even looking.

At what point would you have cut him though?

If he took a dump on the GMs desk......would you show him the door regardless of the risk/reward?

How about if he told the coaches to F@#k off.....keep him?

What about if he turned up stoned to team meetings.....or didn't bother turning up?

Nobody knows the reasons for why he was let go......so bashing the Bills over this is a rather futile exercise IMO.

yup, full circle to the first arguments of page 1 im sure - without even looking.

It gets pretty frustrating. I actually like Marrone, Whaley and most of the coaching staff. I think they made a pretty easy mistake to make. I get what they were trying to do, send a message. It's like they saw Invincible and thought Chris Hogan was Vince Papale (sp?) or something. I can't really crucify them for this mistake. But make no mistake, it was a mistake. Even if Rogers never catches another ball in the NFL, because you have a guy with that talent and you give it some time to see how it plays out.

ha. thanks, we see eye to eye on this!

Edited by dubs

If he took a dump on the GMs desk......would you show him the door regardless of the risk/reward?

What about if he turned up stoned to team meetings.....or didn't bother turning up?

Nobody knows the reasons for why he was let go......so bashing the Bills over this is a rather futile exercise IMO.

Depends on the player: Colin Brown gets cut for dumping in the men's room, Rogers on the coaches' desk and Calvin Johnson on the coaches' wife.

Depends on the player: Colin Brown gets cut for dumping in the men's room, Rogers on the coaches' desk and Calvin Johnson on the coaches' wife.

Rogers was cut along with a few other players during a round of cuts in training camp. If he did any of those things, he would be cut on the spot. The staff wouldn't wait to cut him.

I hope that this will be my final post in this thread, and that it will explain the stance that I believe (not know or have been told, but believe) is what the coaching staff was thinking when they cut Rogers.

They were very public when they signed him that he was on a one-strike-and-your-gone opportunity; that he needed to show his absolute best if he wanted to make the team. By all accounts, he made some nice plays in training camp; there were also plenty accounts that he looked unprepared, and one report of Marrone getting on his case for taunting a teammate after a routine catch.

My belief is that the coaching staff felt that Rogers wasn't close to making the most of his opportunity, and so they stuck by their word and cut him. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

those all seem like they would be viable reasons - but we have no indication that anything in that realm ever happened. we have that he was outworked by chris hogan (which what that amounts to, we dont really know), stood over ron brooks after catching a ball, didnt run out what he thought to be an incomplete pass and turned out to be a fumble, and missed his spot in some camp drills as the rough list of documented offenses.

ive said atleast a dozen times that for all we know he couldve been getting high at practice but it doesnt seem to be the case, even in K9s inside insights. it seems they wanted 1) more instant contributions 2) work ethic over physical talent when making the decision. kirby, myself, and several others would say that a guy like hogan hardly warranted having the debate, yet alone making the decision they did unless theres something much bigger that went on behind the scenes.

I hope that this will be my final post in this thread, and that it will explain the stance that I believe (not know or have been told, but believe) is what the coaching staff was thinking when they cut Rogers.

They were very public when they signed him that he was on a one-strike-and-your-gone opportunity; that he needed to show his absolute best if he wanted to make the team. By all accounts, he made some nice plays in training camp; there were also plenty accounts that he looked unprepared, and one report of Marrone getting on his case for taunting a teammate after a routine catch.

My belief is that the coaching staff felt that Rogers wasn't close to making the most of his opportunity, and so they stuck by their word and cut him. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

i dont think you are far off in your assessment, as much as we disagree with what type of strike(s) would warrant that decision.

Why must this be some huge philosophical debate. The team had to make cuts and take the best WRs for their team. Da'Rick didn't make da'cut. He was beat out by other UDFAs.

We don't know why. If we are saying the choice was down to hogan and Rogers, Maybe Hogan showed some flashes of potential too. Maybe he just wanted it more. Either way Hogan earned the job in the opinion of the bills organization. Either way Da'Rick did not earn the job. Why is really irrelevant.

Btw Both guys are similar size and similar speed. One has 10 catches and one has 14.

Only time will tell who hasa better career. Hogan and Da'Rick made mistakes in college. One played in an inferior league after drug problems, the other failed to play college ball at all really with the exception of a fifth year at Maro-wherever after spending 4 years playing only lacrosse.

Let's just see where we end up in the end.

I don't know Dibs...

It surprises me a bit that, with everything this organization has been through over these years, there are some folks who are quick to assume Rogers was some sort of ticking time-bomb while completely ignoring the possibility that our HC simply made a poor decision...

I would say, based on what I've seen here over the years, that the possibility was going to be great that Marrone made the wrong call on Rogers...It was my gut feeling the minute I heard rumors that Rogers was on the bubble...And that's why I'm not surprised at all that another NFL HC has managed to get Rogers on the field, and get some sort of contribution out of him...

I realize it's a pessimistic view on Marrone...But it's not the kind of thing that I want to run him out of town over either...I would LOVE to hear Marrone come out and say that...in retrospect...he may look at a similar situation differently now based on how this turned out...For me, it's just easy to get to the place where it was the Coaches fault and not the players in this situation...But admittedly that may just be me... B-)

It cool that we all have different opinions!!!

At some point I give the coaches the benefit of the doubt. I hardly think that 14 receptions in enough to create an "I told you so". The coaches had him in camp and didnt think he was the guy for the team, that doesn't mean he will never make a good receiver. Most 4th and 5th receivers make the team for special teams work, and we didnt see him at all on special teams at all. I dont think any of us here saw he enough to make the call if it was a good cut or not.

Time will tell if he was the fish the got away. That does not seem to be a problem for the bills, because they have not always brought in good talent.

If he was cut by the Bills and then signed by another team, earned a starting position, made some big contributions right away it would be different.

What a 1 catch highlight reel? What else do you got? lol

And yea TJ beat him out. Not to mention Rogers 14 receptions Graham 23.

You guys must think the coaches want to loose.

well, i dont think they WANT to lose, but i think plenty of coaches make the wrong choices on a regular basis. even the good ones.

this one just stands out as it seems like it shouldve been rather simple to get right and no one has presented a reason why we did get it right beyond "but what if rogers making the team made everyone else stop working or smoke pot and stuff." otherwise, its simply "maybe he was worse than we knew" or "he wouldnt have hogans 6 special teams tackles"

and to your earlier point that none of us saw enough of him - several of us saw a lot of him at tennessee - thats why we are frustrated. it seems a recurring theme is the ones that saw the least are saying no one knows what kind of talent he has.

As a matter of fact he did. There was an article or two about that immediately after the draft. It's like Burfict - No one wanted to have to explain why they burned a draft pick on the guy with character concerns, but once they could bring him in w/o consequence a lot of teams were interested.

I think the kid has talent. I see him play here in Indy but he has the boom/bust cloud over his head. I think Marrone and plenty of other coaches and personnel types shy away from talented street free agents when issues arise. The knock was he could not grasp the offense. I think that he could have helped the Bills.