Bills' Blackout Threats Are a Joke

patfitz

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would LOVE to go to the Miami game, just because it is a tradition to see the Bills play them in the snow.

Tradition started when I got tossed out of the "Rock" for throwing snowballs at the Fish when I was 17.

I do not care what the Bills record is - that game is always worth it. (I do not throw snowballs anymore though)

Hope my luck and schedule changes between now and then!

Edited by rockpile

i cannot imagine the MIami game selling out. Talk about a meaningless game. What a snoozer. In 30 deg temps. There will be a about 14 fans in the stands.

Hey, I am going to that game....all the way from Florida

yup. I feel sorry for the poor suckers in places like NYC, Dallas, DC that have to pay PSLs and more for one game than I pay for an entire season.

That's exactly why the Bills will be gone as soon as Ralph dies. Because there are a half dozen cities full of fans ready willing and able to do just that.

That's exactly why the Bills will be gone as soon as Ralph dies. Because there are a half dozen cities full of fans ready willing and able to do just that.

You're ignoring one hugely important factor: tickets account for a very, very small percentage of revenue. The NFL makes its money on TV contracts, not attendance or PSLs.

And just so you know, put a perennial playoff contender on the field and you'll be amazed at the cash that'll come out of the woodwork. I mean, look how many fans shell out $200/ticket for 3-4 games when the Sabres make the playoffs.

No question these same fans can manage a PSL if properly motivated.

not to be an ass, but name them.

Edited by old school

20,000 tickets remain for Bills’ home finale:

Some folks in Buffalo would point gleefully to the inability of Toronto to sell tickets to Bills games. Some folks in Toronto would point gleefully to the inability of Buffalo to sell tickets to Bills game.

Some folks in L.A. would point gleefully to both.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/04/20000-tickets-remain-for-bills-home-finale/

Some folks in Buffalo would point gleefully to the inability of Toronto to sell tickets to Bills games. Some folks in Toronto would point gleefully to the inability of Buffalo to sell tickets to Bills game.

http://profootballta...ls-home-finale/

That's ridiculous. Toronto sold less than 40k. 20k unsold means 50k have been sold.

Pick the lowest selling 6 games in Buffalo the last 6 years and they still outsell the 6 Toronto games.

http://profootballta...ls-home-finale/

So here is the first response in that article. So this is common knowledge?:

pooflingingmonkey says: Dec 4, 2013 9:35 AM

With the first pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Toronto Bills select…

It’s common knowledge among league circles that a deal is already in place to sell the Bills to Toronto upon Ralph Wilson’s death.

The beauty of this is, everyone has the ability to take matters into their own hands and buy a ticket. Or not. Your choice.

I will say this, I have been to a whole bunch of Bill's games In Buffalo over the last several decades,

but have not been to a regular season game in a few years. I live a good 4 plus hours from the stadium,

so it is a big commitment. I would love nothing more than to start going again more regularly some time

soon. The problem is that I am not going to make that kind of commitment for the current and past seasons,

with this type of lousy product offering.

Like someone else recently mentioned in another post, winning could fix all of this. He'll I would even make the

six hour trek to Toronto with a decent product offering. You can call me whatever you like, fair weather, bandwagon,

but I am not stupid. It is a dam shame too, because I am at a point in my life, as I am sure many other displaced

Bill's fans probably are, where I have the time, and resources to go to more of them and truly support this team.

Get competitive, start winning, and their problems could be a long way to being solved, if we have a few clunker

seasons occasionally we can all deal with that, but 14 years, oh, come on man!

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL’s blackout policy could soon be blacked out.

The Federal Communications Commissions officially has proposed the adoption of a rule preventing sports leagues from blacking out games. It’s the first official step in a process that now welcomes commentary from the public regarding the issues.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/18/fcc-proposes-elimination-of-blackout-policy/

The Federal Communications Commissions officially has proposed the adoption of a rule preventing sports leagues from blacking out games. It’s the first official step in a process that now welcomes commentary from the public regarding the issues.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/18/fcc-proposes-elimination-of-blackout-policy/

I feel like this issue pops up every 4, 5 years, and then the regulators lose interest.

really? All the years of Romo looking like a toolbox? The Billion dollar Skins teams that did absolutely nothing? The Jets? Really? For many years these teams have been a joke yet their fans fork out more for 1 ticket than pay for my entire season.

And regardless, what I pay for is an NFL game 7 games a year. Regardless how bad the team is or not, the NFL experience is worth every penny. Unlike in places like Dallas and NYC where a tailgating experience is a beer tent with a bunch of other rich dummies that don't even know who their teams players are.

You're right about this.

Everything is relative. When you compare what it costs to go to a Bills game here in WNY to what it costs to attend games in other cities, and when you compare our game day experience before the game compared to those other cities, there is little doubt that Buffalo fans are getting more bang for their buck than pretty much any other place I have ever attended a professional football game.

Here in Buffalo you get the full day of festivities. Other cities have you trying to find parking on side streets. There are no good places to tailgate. There aren't many people setting up small beer tents. There aren't people grilling various meets and chucking around footballs with their kids. The full game day experience, if you take advantage of it at the Ralph, really makes it worthwhile.

And let's not forget that in some of those other larger more expensive markets, their fans are forced to watch some very bad football. When you look at our situation relative to the rest of the league, you can't help but be grateful and optimistic. Enjoy it while we can fans. Some day we will all be saying how these were the good old days.

Edited by PolishDave

Brandon said on 550 earlier in the week, that during the 90s, December games sold out 63% of the time. During the 2000s, they sold out 67% of the time.

so when the team was good, December games still were not selling out. In fact, the big comeback game against Houston (playoffs no less) was not even close to a sellout.

so while people can blame the team being lousy, history indicates this is not true. its really the weather.

I had to sell my four tickets to the Miami game this weekend. I did it on the NFL ticket exchange...goods seats for slightly below par price. They sold, I believe, because of the blackout policy. So, as a season ticket holder, I am grateful for the "blackout" policy, it enabled me to resell my tickets. Good seats always sell. My buddies and I are all out of town, game should be OK to watch, but we had to move them. So, I support retention of the blackout policy. As a holder of 4 season tickets, I can tell you that we would not be investing $2700 if the product was always available on TV for free. And, the Ralph Wilson stadium will have to be renamed the Ralph Wilson Studio....cause not many folks are going to be there. It would surprise me if the NFL gave up ownership of their property rights (viewing of their games) without a fight. The FCC will loose, at the Supreme Court level , if it comes to a court fight. You cannot confiscate property, physical or intellectual, from private entities. (Unless they use eminent domain, and that ain't happening)

Edited by bigK14094

http://profootballta...lackout-policy/

thanks for this post.