David Nelson: Found out on Twitter that Bills released him

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I heard that Thurman Thomas found out about his release from an ESPN report. Classy Bills

You'll get my memory juices flowing but it was Reed, Thurman and Bruce all released at about the same moment. That was when Bruce had a line that is famous but not enough that I can remember it this second. It was basically that we will forever be haunted by that bad decision.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not getting a contract plain and simple means he was fired.

Joined the Jets in October, 5 games 16 catches 199 yards. Last 3 13-179 he has learned the system.

Our WR TJ Graham stats, 10 games 16 catches 198 yards.

Another terrible personnel decision by the Bills.

Who is throwing to these guys but 2 rookie QBs.Another bad decision at the QB position?

Thoughts on this.

Joined the Jets in October, 5 games 16 catches 199 yards. Last 3 13-179 he has learned the system.

Who is throwing to these guys but 2 rookie QBs.Another bad decision at the QB position?

Thoughts on this.

Agree 100%. This is tall redzone/third down receiver we crave!!!!!! How stupid are we. This guy had glue hands compared to TJ and Goodwin.

David Nelson being let go upset me a great deal when I found out. The guy was pretty damn good for us and brought a certain type of energy to the offense. The kissing his GF in Dallas while getting our butts kicked was childish but other than that, the guy played his ass off and we could have used him this year.

It wouldn't hurt if he was on an NFC as much as it does seeing him in a Jets jersey. One thing I admire about Rex and his staff is they know how to bring in unwanted talented players. (Minus Tebow)

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

David Nelson being let go upset me a great deal when I found out. The guy was pretty damn good for us and brought a certain type of energy to the offense. The kissing his GF in Dallas while getting our butts kicked was childish but other than that, the guy played his ass off and we could have used him this year.

It wouldn't hurt if he was on an NFC as much as it does seeing him in a Jets jersey. One thing I admire about Rex and his staff is they know how to bring in unwanted talented players. (Minus Tebow)

Frankly, this is how I remember Nelson. He jumped the shark for me that day. While I do think he would be valuable to the Bills right now with the injuries in the WR corp and no sure-handed tall guys out there, I think he is a fringe NFL WR who got even slower after his injury as evidenced by the very little interest show byu teams around the league and then cutting cut from the Browns after camp who really needed guys "like him" too. Holmes is supposed to be back this week (of course!) so not sure how much PT he will get, but knowing Rex, and knowing the Bills, he will put up 200 yds on us. Obviously.

Thoughts on this.

He isn't bitter he didn't get a new contract, he is bitter he found out on Twitter. The info was leaked by a NFL "insider." That is the Twitter world we live in. It is not the Bills fault that happened nor is it their fault that he wasn't good enough to offer a contract. I do wish we had him right now because we need guys like him. But we have faster guys like him on the bench already, cheaper. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Frankly, this is how I remember Nelson. He jumped the shark for me that day. While I do think he would be valuable to the Bills right now with the injuries in the WR corp and no sure-handed tall guys out there, I think he is a fringe NFL WR who got even slower after his injury as evidenced by the very little interest show byu teams around the league and then cutting cut from the Browns after camp who really needed guys "like him" too. Holmes is supposed to be back this week (of course!) so not sure how much PT he will get, but knowing Rex, and knowing the Bills, he will put up 200 yds on us. Obviously.

You must really hate Johnson.

Wow, the tone in this thread surprises me.

I remember when Nelson was not re-signed, the majority on this board was saying good riddance to him.

Now everyone is saying what a bone headed move it was not to re-sign Nelson.

The irony. :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8980456/david-nelson-receive-contract-offer-buffalo-bills

Maybe Nelson should have talked to his agent.

And while we're all lamenting the loss of the greatest WR ever to lace them up, it would do us well to remember this was an entirely new regime coming in to coach and he was coming off a major knee surgery. Sorry, David Nelson fans, but time waits for nobody and the Bills could ill afford to wait and see how his knee would respond in the midst of installing new systems and needing to evaluate the personnel for those systems. Nelson wasn't even in a condition to be properly evaluated.

I'm happy that he landed on his feet in NY, but two teams thought he needed more time to regain his old form before he did so. There are many things to ding the FO and coaching staff about, NOT tendering David Nelson is just not one of them. Even for the most strident anti-Bills troll out there.

GO BILLS!!!

Nelson wasn't released. The Bills clearly had a plan to upgrade at WR and executed that plan in the 2013 draft with Bob Woods and Mark Goodwin.

It's too bad Nelson's feelings are hurt, but that's business in the NFL. Happens all over the league, all the time.

Highly doubt Pettine is coming up with creative ways to game plan for Dave Nelson.

Wow, the tone in this thread surprises me.

I remember when Nelson was not re-signed, the majority on this board was saying good riddance to him.

Now everyone is saying what a bone headed move it was not to re-sign Nelson.

The irony. :rolleyes:

I am going to dig up that thread.... Only because I know I was super critical of the bills for letting him walk!

Does this mean Nelson will seek revenge and single handedly defeat the Bills?

Apparently he feels that way, my take is that maybe the whole thing unfolded in a

less than desirable fashion, but so what. My current state of frustration does not

allow for much sympathy, and he is currently employed, wasn't he a free agent

signing coming out of college? So the Bills gave him a chance that led to another

chance, we owe him nothing.

If David Nelson comes in and has a career day than kudos to him, he apparently

was a good teammate and was pretty reliable while he was here, and I personally

wish nothing but the best for him, just not this Sunday! Isn't it time for this team

to start imposing some will on other teams, regardless of what they say, or who they

are?

I liked the same things about Nelson that Rex Ryan likes -- his determination, competitiveness, and desire. The Bills let him go for the same reason no one not desperate for WR help didn't pick him up -- lack of speed and special talent. He was a decent player for the Bills, but remember he was a starter on the worst WR corps in the NFL. The Bills were clearly going for faster and better in their WRs with the new front office and coaching staff.

It's bad though for the Bills that no one called Nelson to tell him. I don't know whether this kind of treatment is typical in the NFL, but I have this naive hope that the Bills are a classy outfit and wouldn't do something like this.

Whether he's better than Graham or not, doesn't matter now. TJ was a third round pick and the Bills probably were/are hoping he develops better skills than he's shown. But Goodwin is a better football player and is faster, so the future for Graham is as the speed guy the Bills use if Goodwin gets hurt. Or he gets cut. Unless Graham really steps it up, he'll be one more in a long long string of draft mistakes by Buddy Nix.

http://espn.go.com/n...r-buffalo-bills

Maybe Nelson should have talked to his agent.

And while we're all lamenting the loss of the greatest WR ever to lace them up, it would do us well to remember this was an entirely new regime coming in to coach and he was coming off a major knee surgery. Sorry, David Nelson fans, but time waits for nobody and the Bills could ill afford to wait and see how his knee would respond in the midst of installing new systems and needing to evaluate the personnel for those systems. Nelson wasn't even in a condition to be properly evaluated.

I'm happy that he landed on his feet in NY, but two teams thought he needed more time to regain his old form before he did so. There are many things to ding the FO and coaching staff about, NOT tendering David Nelson is just not one of them. Even for the most strident anti-Bills troll out there.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with all of this. Nelson is trying to turn this into him taking this game personally. That is fine, but it is clearly only one side to the story. I am sure Whaley asked Marrone if he wanted this WR coming off of a torn ACL who can't run and when he can is really slow, or Robert Woods in the draft. Let me see.

And their continuing contribution from the bench speaks equal volumes.

Nelson wasn't signed by the Jets until they were desperate at the WR position and needed a body. He is playing while Holmes, et al are hurt. Maybe he will still see PT when they are back if he has earned it. But we didn't need our guys on the bench until now because we didn't have injuries to Woods and SJ until now. So you really can't compare our backup WRs #s to the Jets backup WRs #s. Totally different situation. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Agree 100%. This is tall redzone/third down receiver we crave!!!!!! How stupid are we. This guy had glue hands compared to TJ and Goodwin.

Scott Chandler was supposed to be that guy this year. And he had hands of stone couldnt get separation. i liked him though

Scott Chandler was supposed to be that guy this year. And Nelson had hands of stone couldnt get separation. i liked him though

TJ and Goodwin (mostly Goodwin are package players to open up the field and gain separation deep . Heave the ball at them make the defense respect the speed. apples and oranges Edited by 3rdand12

How would it have hurt the Bills to tender Nelson the minimum contract and bring him to camp and let him compete for a roster spot? Sure he's slow but he's tall and has good hands. He's a pretty nice target in the red zone, someplace we've struggled lately. I'd rather have Nelson or Brad Smith over Hogan right now.