Digging Deep - why do you remain a fan of this franchise?

BuffaloBill

probably cause i don't know any better. i don't think i could be a die-hard for any other team. it is one of my connections to wny especially now that i am no longer living there. its a connection to my family, i doubt i'd even talk to them as frequently as i do. there's also a mentality of being too stubborn to quit. the thing is the first season i watched the bills they only won 2 games. my mentality has been as long as they do better than that season i will ok. sure i agonize over them every year. but they can't lose forever....can they?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being 6 or 7 and running into the living room and asking my Dad whether the Bills were the white or dark jersies (B&W TV, remember?), and then taking a sip off his bottle of Schmidt's. I blame it on that - along with all the other problems in my life.

It's my fix. My grandfather was a vikings fans, my father a packers fan. (God rest their souls)

Unfortunately for them I wasn't feeling their fanhood when I was a teen. When I saw Joe Ferguson play for the Bills

the adrenalin surged through my body for the entire game. I couildn't control it. I thought I was having a heart attack.

The feeling subsided only when the game was over. The following week it happened again and continued every time I watched

Ferguson play, regardless if they won or lost. When Ferguson went to Detroit the adrenalin surge ended. When Kelly became

the QB my fix was on again. I am basically an adrenalin junkie. It's a buffalo thing, it's a QB thing. And It's better than weed.

Unfortunately for me; Buffalo has had only five QB's since my fanhood began that can send me over the edge. The other three:

Reich, Flutie & Tuel. I can watch and I will cheer for Manuel all day, as I have for all the other QB's for the Bills.

But what I do know right now is, I won't be having that feeling that I can bench press my pick-up truck any time soon.

Great and funny post idea. Sure beats all that negativity stuff. And Thank You all Veterans.

Yeah, it's all about family and roots. My dad was raised a Bills fan growing up in Ckeektowaga. I'm a Bills fan, and I hope my son will be a Bills fan. I'm 34, not old, but old enough to have some really great memories of the team with my Dad and uncles during the 80s / 90s glory years. I also have some great friends with similar family links to the Bills, and it's nice to share that with them.

Yesterday was the first time I can remember turning off the game in disgust. But I'll be back on Sunday.

I have a bottle of champagne from the division championship in 1998. Never opened. Decided to wait till we won the Super Bowl. Every year we don't win it, it ages, and it will taste that much sweeter when it happens.

We didn't win the division championship in 1998 did we? I thought we got into the playoffs as a wild card team that year.

From downstate originally and all my family are jets/giants fans - we moved upstate when i was 9 or 10 and started getting into sports (watching and playing) and for some reason I became a Bills fans, no idea why really it just happened, although it probably helped that they were getting pretty good at that point - right before the real run. Now I have infected my wife (who was a fan but not die-hard like she is now) and my poor, poor son who gets **** from everyone about being a Bills fan. I know it is silly for a grown man but I care about the Bills deeply and I am only a bit ashamed to admit that a football teams that gives two-***** about me has such an important place in my life.

Fake edit - I will say though when you find another lonely soul who is a Bills fan it is almost 99.9% chance of instant friendship and mutual understanding of the pain and agony - it's kinda nice to immediatly share a lifetimes worth of experiences with someone you just met just by them saying "Yea, I'm a Bills fan too."

It's my fix. My grandfather was a vikings fans, my father a packers fan. (God rest their souls)

Unfortunately for them I wasn't feeling their fanhood when I was a teen. When I saw Joe Ferguson play for the Bills

the adrenalin surged through my body for the entire game. I couildn't control it. I thought I was having a heart attack.

The feeling subsided only when the game was over. The following week it happened again and continued every time I watched

Ferguson play, regardless if they won or lost. When Ferguson went to Detroit the adrenalin surge ended. When Kelly became

the QB my fix was on again. I am basically an adrenalin junkie. It's a buffalo thing, it's a QB thing. And It's better than weed.

Unfortunately for me; Buffalo has had only five QB's since my fanhood began that can send me over the edge. The other three:

Reich, Flutie & Tuel. I can watch and I will cheer for Manuel all day, as I have for all the other QB's for the Bills.

But what I do know right now is, I won't be having that feeling that I can bench press my pick-up truck any time soon.

Great and funny post idea. Sure beats all that negativity stuff. And Thank You all Veterans.

That is some funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh.

Funny, the only time I actually do wonder why I remain a fan of this franchise is when I'm watching the games.

Other than that, I have no idea. Must be an addiction.

My granfather worked for the Bills.

he worked with Hojo and Woodie who is still on the sidelines.

I grew up going in the locker room and hanging around bugging the players for autographs and such.

This was back in the late 70's and 80's.

The Bills where pretty much the only thing my father and i could talk about.

Both my dad and grand dad are gone now. I keep thinking one day the Bills will win one Super Bowl. I will cry like a baby while smiling the biggest smile.

I come back every year out of pride and i have no other team i care nearly as much about as the Bills. I love football and i live and die with the Bills every Sunday.

I have learned to put it in perspective as i have gotten older. The sting of a lose only lasts about an hour afterwards. But that hour is the saddest of the week usually! ha

Gotta stay loyal. Have I questioned not watching football anymore? Sure. But come every Sunday, I'm glued to the TV. I'm stuck.

The worst part of it all is my first year becoming a fan was the year we got Bledsoe. I don't know what it's like to watch my team in the playoffs. I deserve credit for that and I know it.

Most of you guys enjoyed the glory days and have good memories of the Bills. The highlight of my years of being a fan was when we started the season 4-0, then he got hurt and we lost like 8 games straight that season. Ugh!

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

No doubt that the results of the game yesterday and this season generally likely killed any slim hopes that the Bills have escaped yet another rebuilding year. I ask a question seriously and not with any contempt for the organization or it's fans - what keeps you coming back?

For me the Bills tie me back to the "homeland." I've lived away from B-Lo and WNY since graduation from college. I miss many aspects of life back there and the Bills are my "connection." It is cool to me to meet anyone from WNY anywhere in the world and you can nearly always connect through talk about the Bills or maybe the Sabres.

There is also just a pride that comes with knowing that hanging in during the hard years will make the next series of great ones that much better.

What do you have to say?

It's in my blood as well, went to my first game at age 4. So I blame my parents lol.

But seriously tho, I played in high school and college so football is my first love. We got a team still here so yea ill hang until it get better again.

When that will happen is anybodies guess . :wallbash:

Because we all are in this together.

When I feel down and out about the Bills I know there are many others who feel the same way I do.

Its like we are all one big family.

CBF

hey we had 4 Super bowl years in a row.... At least we can say we got there.

It the football Gods getting back at us for that. They have never forgave us for not winning one....yea that's gotta be it lol.

My Father ( RIP pops) had a tryout with the Bills back in the AFL days. We lived blocks away from the Rockpile.

It was my destiny to be a Bills Fan, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Yeah, it's all about family and roots. My dad was raised a Bills fan growing up in Ckeektowaga. I'm a Bills fan, and I hope my son will be a Bills fan. I'm 34, not old, but old enough to have some really great memories of the team with my Dad and uncles during the 80s / 90s glory years. I also have some great friends with similar family links to the Bills, and it's nice to share that with them.

Yesterday was the first time I can remember turning off the game in disgust. But I'll be back on Sunday.

Wow..I was feeling guilty because I left after Dareus' offside penalty turned a field goal into a touchdown (Well..Gilmore helped). and I don't remember the last time I left a game out of disgust.

There was an early craze for the NFL here in the UK in the late 1980s. About that time the Bills did the Cornelius Bennett trade which I didn't really understand - only that some 'experts' said that the Bills got the worst of the deal. I supported the supposed underdog (the Bills) and got hooked. I've supported them ever since even though most of my friends and family think me a bit odd (except my grand-daughters who love wearing their Bills tee-shirts if only because their friends don't have anything like them). Neither I nor my family and friends can imaging me ever supporting anyone else. I've got my flight booked for this weekend's matchup against the Jets!

Never been to Buffalo. I'm 31, and have never lived in the same city for more than three years. I've had the chargers, Seahawks, Texans, Pats, Jets/Giants, falcons, Panthers and jaguars for home town teams. As a kid I watched Jim Kelly and proclaimed the Bills my team, and never looked back.

The only thing worse than losing, is changing teams to cheat the feeling of success.

I often tease my dad, "Dad, you said no loose girls, no drugs, no alcohol. Why didn't you say 'No Bills"?

The Bills are the only team I care about. I yell, scream, hoot, holler and cheer at the TV. Sometimes I leave the room in a huff, and slink back into room hoping things have changed. But they rarely do. When it comes to football in general, if the Bills aren't playing, and I'll just sit and watch. No yelling, no emotional interest.

Honestly, if the Bills left Buffalo I don't know if I'd even follow the game anymore. I know I would forever hate the new city they moved to.

I became a fan in the late '60's, and have endured some 2-12 years, the decade of failure against the Dolphins, and every humiliation since. But like a moth to a flame, I keep believing. Hence the screen name.

True story: I used to bargain with God that they'd win ONE Super Bowl before I die. I got a little nervous in the 90's. I'm in my 50s now and have come to the conclusion that the good Lord must be planning on a long life for me.