I just don't know what this team is anymore

BuffaloBaumer

Every single year about half way through the season, I think there are few and fewer holes to fill. Then, the true colors come out and it looks as though the Bills are one of the 5 worst teams in the league. How is it that they NEVER seem to take that necessary next step. For all I know, they still need a QB, WR, G, TE and most likely safety after Byrd leaves.

How in the world could I go from thinking the Jets game would have huge playoff implications to wondering if we beat the Jaguars in a span of few hours. This defense is mind blowing to me the way the play so fifferently from one wek to the next. That was not rust on EJ Manuel today folks, that is a QB who can't hit a receiver 7 yards away.

I have said it before and I will say it again - you take away that game winning drive against Carolina, and I see NOTHING this season that shows me he is an even average QB. There should at least be SIGNS of life from this kid and I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I have been convincing myself that not making mistakes is good enough but you know what, it's not - I want a QB who can throw for Christ sake. I have a bad feeling about the qb position, a real bad feeling.

EJ could use a QB coach with NFL experience bc his mechanics and mainly footwork are just terrible

Overall the team seems to have regressed back to the Jauron years

Edited by Max997

They are who we thought they were!!

If you look at the team and players objectively and not let yourself get sucked in by the board Kool-Aid drinkers, this season isn't really a surprise. They have no passing game: an unpolished rookie QB with below average WRs and a bad OC. Tough defenses like the Jets and Steelers are going to keep shutting down the running game until the Bills can figure out how to throw the ball downfield. There's no mystery.

They are a decent team, without a decent quarterback. They have been for years...

We are in year 14 of the rebuild, because we have been without a top 10 QB.

We have an OC who doesn't use CJ Spiller in the passing game.

We have a talented defense.

Our offensive line is good, and might improve with an additional OG.

Our Franchise QB is not on our current roster.

Looks like in some ways we are better off than we have been in the past 14 years, but not at the QB position.

They need a TE who can catch, a playmaking receiver (sorry, Stevie is not it), a punter and kicker and if a better QB is on the board in round 1, go for it.

I keep thinking that we'll be picking fifth in the draft, but there is hope of at least picking second. Come on Tampa Bay!!! You can do it.

The team is puzzling. The defense looks great, but statistically they are horrible. The offense is a top o in the league, but they look like garbage. The backup QBs look better than the starter. The CB everyone didn't want to re-sign looks ten times better than our #1 CB pick. We seem both set at every position, and have holes at every position. It's an enigma.

The team is puzzling. The defense looks great, but statistically they are horrible. The offense is a top o in the league, but they look like garbage. The backup QBs look better than the starter. The CB everyone didn't want to re-sign looks ten times better than our #1 CB pick. We seem both set at every position, and have holes at every position. It's an enigma.

Well said Jr. Never thought of it that way but you are spot on.

EJ could use a QB coach with NFL experience bc his mechanics and mainly footwork are just terrible

It boggles my mind that Coach Marrone thinks that a rookie NFL OC can have the time and expertise to make the offensive game plan, call the plays, and effectively coach a rookie QB project. I'm thinking we need a full time experienced QB coach with a track record of success to give EJ any chance of success.

Edited by reddogblitz

What you say here is true about the Bills, but it is also true about 70% of the league. It's just what the league wants....parity at its finest.

Take the Colts for example....how can a team that beat Seartle, SF, and Denver get blown out at home by the Rams and also lose to the Dolphins at home? How can the Titans lose at home to the Jags? How does Pitt play horrible all year, give up 55 points and 600 plus yards last week, then play their best game of the year this week?

It's obvious the Bills lack consistency, but I think you can count on one hand the number of teams that have played well on a week to week basis this season.

P.S.: I'm not excusing the Bills for their performance today...it was the most disappointing game they have played by far this year.

I keep thinking that we'll be picking fifth in the draft, but there is hope of at least picking second. Come on Tampa Bay!!! You can do it.

This is the only post in this thread that I DONT agree with.

This is the most lucid thread I have read here in a long long long time. No whining. No kool aid either. Just a nice, sober reflection on the current reality of life as a Bills fan. (If you havent read every post before mine, please take a minute and do so).

We do not have a franchise QB. Until we get one we will not be competitive. Period. I dont care about the upcoming draft. I think I know how Barry Sanders felt.

I think "rebuilding" in the NFL must be redefined. The new definition should be: "Still trying to find a franchise QB." Re-tooling at any other position doesnt matter at all. However, if you find your QB, your rebuilding is complete. Then, you're just tweaking the roster a little.

Put another way, the Bills arent currently tuning up their car. They have been shopping for a car to tune, for the last 13+ years. Or, not shopping, but waiting for one to materialize out of thin air.

Edited by maddenboy

The way I see it - in today's NFL, winning long term starts with the Coach, and then the QB. If we have a chance to draft a QB who shows real potential to be great, then AS LONG AS WE DON'T HAVE A GREAT QB, THAT IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO!!! We need to keep drafting QB's until we get a great one - not a kid who "might" be good in a few years. A different team, one that hasn't sucked for 15 years, might be able to take that mindset, but the Bills need urgency in that regard. Also, they need a big-time WR, and a playmaking TE. And, of course, their offensive line could improve a bit. Still - it starts with the QB, and the coaching, and you build around that. I'm just worried this staff passes on a legit QB next spring and we waste another year on this guy, without providing ANY insurance against his potential failure. Worst case scenario, if we draft another high QB - we have two good QB's! You can always get value for a good QB!

This game was truly a bummer. Just when I thought this team was making progress, they go and lay this egg. After 13 years of this, it's extremely hard not to be pessimistic. Manuel looked as if he had never played football before in his entire life. He was just awful. The coaches reminded me of the Williams and Jauron days. Why do they call pass plays on short yardage situations that require near perfect execution knowing this quarterbcak hadn't played in over a month and looked awful? Why do they punt from the 36 yard line down by 14 points in the 4th quarter? It was mind boggling!!

Some other observations in no particualr order:

Gilmore is not a shut down corner.

Brian Moorman is awful. he will not be brought back next year. If They wanted bad punting, they should have just kept Powell

I Think it would be wise to consider drafting another quarterback witht their first pick.

The Bills are being out-coached on a regular basis

I need some more tums

Some other observations in no particualr order:

Gilmore is not a shut down corner.

Brian Moorman is awful. he will not be brought back next year. If They wanted bad punting, they should have just kept Powell

The Bills are being out-coached on a regular basis

I need some more tums

Gilmore looked less than average yesterday. the one thing the announcers mentioned (that i agreed with), is that he matches up against big physical WR, not small quick ones.

Moorman is terrible. He is maddeningly inconsistent. Will boom 60+ yarders, then shank a few punts. I'd consistently take 45 yarders. What happened to the coffin corner kick? seems to be a dead art in the NFL.

Outcouched, i agree. Early in the game they had 3rd and 1, and threw an incompletion. need a power run or QB sneak there. and the decision to punt from the 36 trailing by 2 TD in the 4th was absolutely stupid. Not to mention, this team (and EJ in particular) did not look ready to play yesterday.

Edited by wnysteel