EJ is ready to return: Set to Start at QB in Pittsburgh

Thankfully Heinz Field looks good at half of ND/Pitt. I read it was re-sodded between the hashes recently. That part looks good. Only a few bare spots between the hashes and sidelines. I just hope it stays dry there until the game ends when I assume they will cover the field until tomorrow.

This is a good point. Look for the Steelers to slow down that track as much as possible which hinders our speed off the ball, especially on the DL, and evens things up a bit for their aging front seven. Not sure how long ago it was re-sodded, but it takes awhile for a root system to really take hold and given their weaknesses, I don't think the Steelers care to fix it. I'm thinking they've added tons of sand to the mix as well. The slower the track, the better chance for their mudders.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say that the team would be 5-4 if EJ played all the games; beating Cleveland and KC. I'm just not convinced that the uptick in QB play that EJ would have provided over Thad against Cinci and NO--though it likely would have been noticible--would have made the difference in either game.

Nevertheless the gist of the point is legitimate--with EJ we're in the thick of the playoff hunt IMO

I don't even think the Bills force OT with E.J. against CIN. That said, I agree they would have beaten CLE and KC with E.J. under center.

This is a good point. Look for the Steelers to slow down that track as much as possible which hinders our speed off the ball, especially on the DL, and evens things up a bit for their aging front seven. Not sure how long ago it was re-sodded, but it takes awhile for a root system to really take hold and given their weaknesses, I don't think the Steelers care to fix it. I'm thinking they've added tons of sand to the mix as well. The slower the track, the better chance for their mudders.

GO BILLS!!!

How often does a grass stadium hold a college game the night before a 1:00 NFL game? Not a great idea. I agree that it might help them in the speed differential but I would think they would not want to make their guys even slower as everyone is playing on the same surface...

And he should be judged. But still, I would be crazy happy to see him back.

Hitting the deep balls is gonna be crucial to EJ's development. We have some major speed at WR and EJ has to lead them on the throws so they can go get 'em. The key to the deep ball is throwing it earlier so the ball doesnt have to go as far and its easier to lead WR. Tuel TD pass to Flash is perfect example. He threw that ball WAY earlier than all his other long pass attempts and gave Goodwin room to run under the ball and simply out run the DB;s NOT go for a jump ball and even if caught, hes tackled right away.

Underthrowing deep balls also leads to alot of WR getting nicked up cuz WR are usually laying out for ball like Woods and Goodwin did last week vs KC.

I'm going to say that the team would be 5-4 if EJ played all the games; beating Cleveland and KC. I'm just not convinced that the uptick in QB play that EJ would have provided over Thad against Cinci and NO--though it likely would have been noticible--would have made the difference in either game.

Nevertheless the gist of the point is legitimate--with EJ we're in the thick of the playoff hunt IMO

Agree with everything you are saying. At 5-4 this team would be in great shape with this remaining schedule.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Hitting the deep balls is gonna be crucial to EJ's development. We have some major speed at WR and EJ has to lead them on the throws so they can go get 'em. The key to the deep ball is throwing it earlier so the ball doesnt have to go as far and its easier to lead WR. Tuel TD pass to Flash is perfect example. He threw that ball WAY earlier than all his other long pass attempts and gave Goodwin room to run under the ball and simply out run the DB;s NOT go for a jump ball and even if caught, hes tackled right away.

Underthrowing deep balls also leads to alot of WR getting nicked up cuz WR are usually laying out for ball like Woods and Goodwin did last week vs KC.

While there is no one "key" to hitting a deep ball, Hackett seemed to have the right idea last week. A "go" is the easiest route to hit, as you can just pet some air under it and let Goodwin go get it with his world class speed. It requires little thought on part of the QB (just read the safety, drop back and release), and requires the least arm strength (good for a weak-armed guy like Tuel ). Also, play-action and throwing deep on early downs will increase the success rate. We know EJM has a big arm and can easily hit the deep throw. He just needs to develop some chemistry with Goodwin, and probably err on the side of Goodwin's speed, meaning a bit deeper throw is better than a more cautious throw that MG will outrun and have to come back to or wait for. Put it where only MG can get it. The Bills have also seemed to adjust how they run those deep routes, farther away from the sideline to give more room for the QB to place the ball rather than hugging the boundary which requires more precise timing and a supremely accurate throw. From a physical standpoint, EJM should be more successful at deep throws than any other QB on the Bills roster. There is no magic behind completing deep passes. Just chemistry, good route design, and dialing them up at the right time for the defense the opponent is in.

I don't even think the Bills force OT with E.J. against CIN. That said, I agree they would have beaten CLE and KC with E.J. under center.

Not sure why you think the Bills offense would have been incapable of taking the Bengals to OT with EJM at the helm. They may not have even needed it, as the game may have been completely different. The offensive futility @CLE after EJM went out could mean they likely would have won the game if EJM finished it, and EJM probably does not make the tremendous gaffe at the goal line vs KC, so that seems a likely win as well.

WOO HOO !! EJ is tearing it up in his come back a 2-5 for 9 yards in the first quarter :worthy:

Oh ya we have to start him off slow & work him back into feeling comfortable in the game i forgot forgive me !

Yep even better into the half !!

Edited by T master

This is probably our worst loss of the year. Not just because of the outcome but mostly because our team is now supposed to be back and full strength and this is the kind of effort we can expect? We look BAD against a bad team. We can't win if this is our offense going forward