Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

I totally agree with this. Martin comes across as the "stronger" person. RI comes across looking the weak person. Just my two cents.

But as others have pointed out too, what makes a person strong in real life is not necessarily what makes a person strong in a professional football setting. Anyone ask why so few NFL players and current Dolphins have unequivocally come to Martin's support. Everything his current teammates have said has been very subtle. If it was truly as bad as the stories that are written, I'm guessing there would be far more commentary from the Dolphins players.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with this. Martin comes across as the "stronger" person. RI comes across looking the weak person. Just my two cents.

in the real world yes. In the locker room. No

But as others have pointed out too, what makes a person strong in real life is not necessarily what makes a person strong in a professional football setting. Anyone ask why so few NFL players and current Dolphins have unequivocally come to Martin's support. Everything his current teammates have said has been very subtle. If it was truly as bad as the stories that are written, I'm guessing there would be far more commentary from the Dolphins players.

very much so. And Martin found himself in unfamiliar territory where his real world dynamics don't hold. Just like a fish out of water, Martin was already in a bad environment not condusive to his upbringing and raising.

Incognito is not a good guy that is for sure. But Martin also seems a little bit like he should be able to -

A. Stand up for himself- Tell Incognito to back off. If Incognito does not and Martin really does feel threatened go to your coaches and GM.

B. This smells of a lawsuit Martin was hoping he could get. Incognito is not a good guy and very very stupid too it seems. Text messages and voice mails are just dumb.

I think for the same reason that there's a code of silence in police forces and a "no snitching" rule in poor communities/prisons. I suspect that it's less a reasoned approach to the situation among the players than a "code of silence" sort of thing. Why get yourself in trouble by defending Martin given the hostility to perceived "softness" in the NFL? It's better to simply keep your mouth shut and hang on to your six/seven figure salary while you still can.

Sorry but I have to disagree, the reason so few players have come forward is because football is a fraternity. It's wussie BS to put it nicely. I see this as no different than working in a police department and blowing the whistle on some bad cops, most cops keep their mouth shut when something like that goes down, because its a fraternity in the same way. To say that what makes you tough in real life is different than what makes you tough in football is a cop out. I understand if you're talking about what happens on the field, but this is not on the field. This IS real life and acting like an adult is acting like an adult regardless of the setting. Martin seems to be the ONLY adult in this situation. I give him a lot of respect because, like I said earlier- if it was me I woulld've taken a bat to his head at the first racial slur or threat.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

I find it curious that some of you feel compelled to argue that the stronger person is the one who let the other guy drive him out of his job and off his team, and the weaker guy is the one that ran him off? I don't see it. A strong man, strike that, a man (period) would put that mother!@#$er in his place or do what was necessary to put a stop to it. Only a coward would turn tail and run like that. I suppose your sympathy for the guy makes you want to take up for him (I feel sorry for him too), and people tend to want to glorify victims (and I think Martin is pretty clearly a victim) but let's be honest, anyone in that position that lets another guy treat him like that and run him off the team is a kitty. Going AWOL and quitting the team isn't the mature, strong, or assertive way of handling that situation, it's the kitty way. A lot of this excuse making sounds like the bullied who never stood up to the bully defending someone else whose behavior mirrors their own.

I find it curious that some of you feel compelled to argue that the stronger person is the one who let the other guy drive him out of his job and off his team, and the weaker guy is the one that ran him off? I don't see it. A strong man, strike that, a man (period) would put that mother!@#$er in his place or do what was necessary to put a stop to it. Only a coward would turn tail and run like that. I suppose your sympathy for the guy makes you want to take up for him (I feel sorry for him too), and people tend to want to glorify victims (and I think Martin is pretty clearly a victim) but let's be honest, anyone in that position that lets another guy treat him like that and run him off the team is a kitty. Going AWOL and quitting the team isn't the mature, strong, or assertive way of handling that situation, it's the kitty way. A lot of this excuse making sounds like the bullied who never stood up to the bully defending someone else whose behavior mirrors their own.

I'm sorry bro, but not in this day and age. That's how I was taught to conduct my business and it's always served me well BUT I'm not a professional athlete in the spotlight like Martin. If he snaps and attacks Incognito and doesn't save those texts and voice mails we're talking about a whole other issue. Is Martin stable? Is he a problem in the locker room? Maybe he gets suspended without pay.... I don't know the outcome if Martin gives Incognito a tuneup but I know now that he's said something instead of fighting that people are paying attention and maybe things now start to change.

you won't get anywhere with this point. There will be few able to argue you against it and even fewer that will change their minds.

However, one irony... I am sure 99% of this board thought Dareus was soft last year after his half brother was killed. Dareus is the kind of guy who hazing probably works well with. ... judging by what is known of him.

I'm sorry bro, but not in this day and age. That's how I was taught to conduct my business and it's always served me well BUT I'm not a professional athlete in the spotlight like Martin. If he snaps and attacks Incognito and doesn't save those texts and voice mails we're talking about a whole other issue. Is Martin stable? Is he a problem in the locker room? Maybe he gets suspended without pay.... I don't know the outcome if Martin gives Incognito a tuneup but I know now that he's said something instead of fighting that people are paying attention and maybe things now start to change.

I'd consider suspending him until he gets treatment as is. Or at least non injury reserve him. He would not play this year for my team

Now its being reported Martin is gay? If true no wonder why teammates werent jumping to his defense and saying he was "different"...

Not saying its right, but it explains why so many Dolphins are backing Incognito...gayness is definitely not accepted in the NFL as most players will readily tell you

Now its being reported Martin is gay? If true no wonder why teammates werent jumping to his defense and saying he was "different"...

Not saying its right, but it explains why so many Dolphins are backing Incognito...gayness is definitely not accepted in the NFL as most players will readily tell you

Where is this being reported?

i havent seen anyone reporting that beyond message board banter. do you have an actual source thats gone public on that one?

Maybe Martin realized that he just doesn't like playing pro football all that much, and he decided to pursue endeavors which he feels are more worldly and stimulating? Maybe he walked away to make a statement? Sorry, but the notion that a "man" must resort to violence when confronted with violence, is pretty simple way of looking at things. Was Gandhi not a "man"?

talk about a poop storm about to hit South beach!

Wow another reaosn i am gladd we took that OG Glenn!!!

talk about a poop storm about to hit South beach!

Wow another reaosn i am gladd we took that OG Glenn!!!

because you are glad that you think that our guy might be straight and their guy might be gay?

id hope our team wouldnt act like a bunch of idiots regardless of which side of that draft pick we ended up on.

Edited by NoSaint

In a society where every issue seems to have two sides and there's no subtlety or nuance or middle ground, NFL needs to make it clear to all players, coaches, broadcasters, and anyone else connected to the game that there can be no reasonable debate on this topic. Martin did the right thing. Indeed, Martin did the only thing he should have done.

Players who choose to stand up for themselves via physical and verbal confrontations risk an escalation that could turn ugly. Given the number of American workplaces in which disgruntled employees have committed horribly violent acts and in light of the high percentage of professional football players who own guns, getting in a guy's face away from the field no longer should be regarded as an acceptable solution to harassment.

A truly grown-ass man will at all times refrain from violence, he'll file a complaint, and he'll deal with the flak from any meatheads who think that it's still better to punch someone in the mouth.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/05/martin-bears-no-blame-for-doing-the-right-thing/

Gosh. If this is about homosexuality... and it is going down like it is... and it is in Miami... I think the only thing that would make it better is if pictures came out of Martin and Tom Brady cuddling on a beach.

I mean, as a Bills fan... its perfect.

As a human - if this is anything about homosexuality I will be even more disappointed then I am now. Racism, homophobia, any intolerance toward any other person for such reasons... that does piss me off.

Did you get this from dog by way of a guy named Talbot?